AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the current plan for a modest basement theater room that has been contemplated for a few years and we are finally ready to get going in earnest on it. It is my first dedicated theater and I am requesting comments and constructive criticism. The theater room is approximately 13' wide and 17' deep. We have installed some mass loaded vinyl that I had already purchased at about half the normal price, along with isolation clips and hat channel and will shortly begin double drywall with green glue. There is a closet behind the room that is about 13' wide and 3' deep in which we will have the audio-video equipment rack and projector and storage for media. The plan shows locations of seating, speakers, screen, corner bass traps, and some bottom of soffit down-lights & HVAC bar grilles. The dashed lines at various angles converging on the main listening position (front row, center) are just construction lines to help locate the proper angles for speakers, etc. There are other parallel construction lines that show the locations of the hat channels. The tiny black squares are the isolation clips. I have made the soffits and HVAC ductwork invisible in this rendering for clarity-of-other-item purposes. The two double-doors to the closet are in reality bi-fold closet doors. The double-door entrance to the theater room opens outward into an adjacent billiard room. As can be seen, the (already built DIY Audio Group Volt) speakers are to be a 5.x.4 dolby atmos type arrangement. The five base layer speakers are Volt-8 and the Atmos speakers are Volt-6. The four subwoofers shown are in tentative locations and are 12" isobaric DIY subs tuned close to 20Hz each. We also already have an Onkyo TX-NR 787 receiver and two Behringer NX1000D subwoofer amplifiers with a MiniDSP 2x4 between the receiver and the subwoofer amplifiers. We have a Logitech Harmony Hub to control things with. We have an Epson Home Cinema 3100 projector. The screen is 92" (16x9) and is acoustically transparent. The front seats (as shown) have a separate footrest (ottoman) and recline. The rear seats are planned to be cushioned counter-height (24"-seat height) stools with backrests. The master bedroom is directly above this theater. Therefore, I am attempting to keep the ceiling as free from any type of penetrations as possible. The HVAC is tying into the basement system. It will have its own remote sensor for temperature control. And an inline fan in the return ductwork to help with airflow and to remove heat from the equipment closet. I am posting this as a progress thread that I hope will help to keep me motivated to finish the construction in a timely manner. I also hope that someone might let me know if I am planning something that is not going to work very well. Please feel free to comment. Thanks!

Rectangle Line Symmetry Parallel Plan

·
Registered
470 Posts
Very cool. How flexible are you on the double doors for the entrance to the theater? Wouldn't want those to cancel out your soundproofing efforts.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool. How flexible are you on the double doors for the entrance to the theater? Wouldn't want those to cancel out your soundproofing efforts.

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I have considered this, and I might have done it differently if I had had the time to plan all the details before the doors were installed. But, conversely, I like the ability to have the double doors wide open for times when a ballgame is on TV and we want to shoot pool while keeping track of the ballgame in-progress. We did use solid-core doors and will add weather seals. I also could install some material to the inside surfaces of the doors to help reduce the sound transmission if needed. That one wall is a double wall, not the isolation clips and hat channel used elsewhere. And I did mount the doors to the inside (isolated) wall. That way, the doors are also isolated, and therefore the sound transmission to the rest of the structure should be reduced. Some sounds leaking through the doors into (and out of) the billiard room should be less of a problem than other areas (ie: the bedroom above). So, after considering these ramifications, I currently believe that keeping the double doors might be justified. Good question, thanks again!

·
Registered
582 Posts
This is going to be fun to watch. I have the same size room almost to the inch. You are fortunate to have the doors on the side wall and a closet behind the rear wall.

You have a nice plan, you are going to get a lot of recommendations and it is ultimately your room. Ours is 12'8 x 16'5 and this is what a 127" 2:40/100" 16:9 look like. We have a lot more planned, I just have it in a good functional state. You do have room for a wider screen and could gain a few feet of viewing distance placing the screen on the w.all. Just a thought
Furniture Building Couch Lighting Interior design

·
Registered
582 Posts
Have you considered flipping it and placing the speakers behind the closet wall? That would accomplish the same goal you are after, only you would have the projector in the room.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you considered flipping it and placing the speakers behind the closet wall? That would accomplish the same goal you are after, only you would have the projector in the room.
Yes, we have definitely considered that arrangement. Actually, I temporarily set up the room and used it for a while (flipped similar to your description) to see how everything felt to us. And, honestly, I am torn between the two. Essentially, I believe that it is a decision between having the projector behind the back wall like a typical commercial theater (which I consider pretty cool), or having a little extra room for the second row. Another factor that we have to consider is that the wall between the equipment closet and the theater room is a load bearing wall. I am trying not to expose that structure to the sounds of the theater because sound travels very efficiently throughout solid structures (once it is allowed to enter the structure). And I believe that the theater sounds would be more likely to be heard throughout the house if that happened. The isolation clips with hat channel and double drywall will help with that endeavor. And I consider that wall surface to be the second most critical surface (second to the ceiling) to keep isolated and without penetrations.

Having the 92” screen at only about 8’ from the main position gives a similar visual effect as a larger screen at a longer distance. And it will make an eventual upgrade to a 4k capable projector more worthwhile. Plus, having the speakers in the room and separate from any walls gives more flexibility with positioning and replacement/upgrades. Additionally, if we had a need for the extra space in the back row area, the decision might be harder to make. But it will normally be just the two of us using the theater. However, I did install a conduit for an HDMI cable (also a power outlet) for a projector on the ceiling in the area where it was when we had the room flipped. And I will most likely leave them in place. So, I believe that if I ever change my mind at a later date, flipping the room wouldn’t be out of the question. Thanks for the question, good thoughts!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks for the comment. Yes, I have considered this, and I might have done it differently if I had had the time to plan all the details before the doors were installed. But, conversely, I like the ability to have the double doors wide open for times when a ballgame is on TV and we want to shoot pool while keeping track of the ballgame in-progress. We did use solid-core doors and will add weather seals. I also could install some material to the inside surfaces of the doors to help reduce the sound transmission if needed. That one wall is a double wall, not the isolation clips and hat channel used elsewhere. And I did mount the doors to the inside (isolated) wall. That way, the doors are also isolated, and therefore the sound transmission to the rest of the structure should be reduced. Some sounds leaking through the doors into (and out of) the billiard room should be less of a problem than other areas (ie: the bedroom above). So, after considering these ramifications, I currently believe that keeping the double doors might be justified. Good question, thanks again!
Well I've subscribed to this thread and would certainly be interested in your results. There must be a sweet spot to get some soundproofing while retaining the functionality you desire and I hope you find it.

Reactions: Charles Collins
1 - 8 of 8 Posts