AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie at this so bare with me. I have done the research(on this site and beyond) for the best TV I can get in my budget and space and have decided on the pioneer elite PRO-530hdi. Great deal with the rebate right now. I am set to buy the thing when I go to the store and sitting beside the Elite is a mits silver plus for about $200 less. I want to like the elite more but the more I look at the silver plus the more I wonder if I am making a mistake with the elite. It just seemed to look better no matter what format (dish sd, dvd, dish HD) I watched it in. My question is was it just the way the elite was set up or is the mits just a better set? I am not one of those with the means to change sets every couple of years. I need this set to be one I am happy with for years to come. I know this topic has been beatin to death but I would still like to hear some opinions.

I have decided to go with CRT so please no LCD or DLP suggestions.

Thanks

brad

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mitsu rules.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Brad,

I think if you asked this question a few years ago the concensus would be that the Elite is the better set. Back then the price would also be considerably higher than it is now. I was somewhat astonished at the price of the 53" set when I was at a Tweeter store a few months ago. My business partner paid double that for his set just over two years ago.

However, the competition has improved substantially, and in most of the shootout reviews that I have seen the Elite sets no longer hold the top rung of the ladder among reviewers. That doesn't mean the Elite is a bad set or that it is incapable of making a good picture. It's more a reflection of how far the competition has come.

Truth be told many of the sets available on the market today are capable of producing a great image once they are calibrated. What distinguishes one set from another is usually the feature set: quality of video processing, ATSC tuner, stretch modes, user adjustability, etc., etc. It's very hard, if not impossible, to judge a given unit from what you see on the showroom floor at a dealer because the sets are typically on display under bright flourescent lights.

One of the reasons I like to buy from places like Tweeter and Circuit City is because they will take a set back if you aren't happy with it. You usually have 30 days from the delivery date to make that decision. But that isn't always the case. A few years ago I bought a 51" set from Circuit City and nearly two months later decided it was just a tad too small. I spoke to the manager and he agreed to take the set back and exchange it for a larger model and I merely paid the difference.

Either set can be a good choice, but you should consider your most frequently watched source and that should weigh heavily in your decision. If you watch mostly SD from OTA or satellite sources then the quality of the stretch modes might a big difference in your level of satisfaction. Look over the feature sets of both TVs and compare what they offer. Usually, one set will have a feature that you might value that a competing model lacks.

Good luck.

--Jerome

PS: Guys, if you are going to respond to this thread don't bother posting "Get the Mits" or "Mits rules" type nonsense. It doesn't help the thread starter at all. Take a few moments to elaborate and give specific reasons why you would choose one model over another. The thread starter is making a legitimate inquiry, not trying to provide others with opportunities to drive up their post counts.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just bought the 55413 so I am biased, but two things moved me to the Mits. The new stretch mode is great and you really can't tell that much. My wife had to be convinced of this because she watches mainly SD and didn't like the various modes prior to the Mits "stretch plus". Also the Mits has a very good line doubler which converts the 480i SD signal to 480p, which also helps the quality of the SD picture.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
foowigs ... interesting comments. I'm investigating which HDTV to purchase and I'm currently leaning toward the higher end WS Mits (probably 55") based on posts I've read so far. CRT RPTV seems the right fit since I'm not much of a gamer (rarely fire up the old Sega Genesis). I'll also be watching a lot of SD material while HD becomes more pervasive (also have LD collection). Did you compare the stretch modes and scalers on most all makes of RPTVs? Was Mits clearly the best in this regard? I've read some comments where people hated the stretch modes in general but I don't know if they've watched the new Mits. BTW ... I've been using my 45" Mits RPTV for 17 years now. Only had one repair at $100.

P.S. I just read your other post concerning poor PQ for 480i->1080i on component cables.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.