AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent many hours searching these home theater forums in an attempt to make an enlightened decision concerning my HDTV purchase. I hope, as do most of you, that DVI/HDMI does not gain consumer acceptance and will go away.

Not having a crystal ball, however, I was not able to disregard the possibliity that I may be wrong and there were three ways to go with this decision.

1. Ignore the situation, buy whatever HDTV I wanted, and darn the consequences.

2. Wait on the sidelines until the situation is resolved and then make my purchase.

3. Purchase from the only manufacturer with a promise to upgrade to future hardware compatibility.

I decided that I was spending too much $$ to ignore the situation, and I could be waiting for a long time to have a clear cut resolution to the content protection issue. The only logical choice was to buy the Mits. I know some will say that "the promise" does not specifically mention a DVI upgrade, but it is not logical to think that a company that only sells digital televisions would alienate their customer base.

the 65909 should look great in my new theater room!

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase! I feel the same way you do about the above points. With the new 1394 stb's coming out later this fall or early '03, your set with the Mits D-VHS will be one of the first ways to record hd off of satellite as a reasonable price.

The new Dish PRV has 1394 specifically for connecting to a D-VHS for achieving see this thread http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ghlight=bullet The new Mits D-VHS is retailing for around $749.00 and will probably be available for much less. Their existing D-VHS is going for $699.00 down from $999.00. This is the route I am planning to take after I upgrade my 65907 with the promise module. BTW I have been extremely pleased with my 65907 and 46809 as both have performed flawlessly. I have had the 65907 since 10/00 and the 46809 since summer of '01.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I may be wrong, but since the 65909 is an "Integrated HDTV" I don't think the Mits "promise" applies to it. I went back to their website to be sure, and it clearly states that its future-proofing protecting applies to its "HD-Upgradeable" sets. This makes some sense, since making such a technology upgrade to an integrated set would be much more intrusive.

Am I off on this?

If it is true, then should we be steering away from the integrated Mits HDTVs and opting for the upgradeable sets. I agree that Mits will likely offer a promise module with HDMI if that indeed becomes a standard (or one of the standards!).

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Actually, if they stick with their "specifically" clause as shown below then HDMI may be out of scope anyway. I'm not sure what would be defined to be "near-future"?.... Perhaps we are all just better off trying to not think too hard about this stuff for now....

Quote:
We will engineer and manufacture the upgrades necessary so the television you purchase today can be made compatible with near-future advances in digital television and digital interconnectivity. Specifically, we promise that you will be able to have your television upgraded, at a reasonable cost, to include an off-air HDTV tuner, a cable TV tuner (for unscrambled programming), an IEEE 1394 (FireWire®) connection, HAVi system control, and 5C copy protection.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that we are analyzing the wording of "the promise" too much. I made my purchase based on the SPIRIT of the promise. I believe Mitsubishi is saying "We know there is uncertainty concerning copy protection technology. Go ahead and buy our sets as we will provide an upgrade, if needed". If Mitsubishi can create a module that upgrades sets to firewire, 5c protection, HAVI and Net command, it seems reasonable that they could put a DVI connection on the back if it becomes the standard. I have been told by my dealer that even the "upgraded sets..909, etc" hardware to upgrade modules on the back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.