AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Ok I have my projector picked out, my screen size calculated. Now I need to know the best type of connections for the type of equipment I have or will be getting. I am going to update both DVD player and receiver to HDMI capable, Dish Network HD receiver does not, I don't think, have an HDMI connection, maybe DVI, I am using component there now. Here are my connection questions. Please don't laugh if I ask something stupid because I am by no means highly intelligent about this subject, that is why I am here and asking questions.

1) Do I use HDMI cable from projector to audio receiver or video component cable? Should I go directly from projector to audio receiver or directly from projector DVD player and then directly to Dish Network receiver?

2) Also please PM me with receiver recommendations which can be bought under $500. I love my Denon (6 years old) but as I understand it you must have one of the newer receivers to take advantage of the new HD DVD audio improvements, is this correct?

Thanks everyone, as you can quickly see I am at a loss on what to do here so everyone's help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Golffnutt

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone out there help me on this, I would really appreciate your replies and advice, thank you.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
1. use whichever you can. HDMI being probably the best also allowing upconverion if you buy a newer one. Audio wise theres no reason to not just run optical from player to reciever. But if you upgrade the reciever as well which can be done for about $300 and up you can just use hdmi. As far as should you, some prefer to go straight into display some don't care about routing via reciever. You just have to make a choice.

2. You're already on the right path here, denon or onkyo will do you just fine. There is new models out with hdmi 1.3 on them upconversion video path to hdmi making all sources out via hdmi. You can get the new audio formats without hdmi if the players decode them, then output it via the 5.1 analog to recievers 5.1 inputs.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hdtv00 thank you for the reply. To get the new audio formats do I need a new receiver or just a new dvd player and use my old Denon 5.1 which I love because it has a great 5.1 process built in to it?

Video wise you are saying I could go straight from the Mit 1000u to the dvd player and use hdmi, is this correct, thus not needing an hdmi receiver?

Next I would go video component from projector to dish hd receiver, don't think it has hdmi but does have dvi I think. Mit 1000 only has 1 hdmi input anyway which would be used for the dvd player I assume.

I am confused by your suggestion to use optical for audio, I thought optical was just for video and rca was audio? Thanks again for your help on all of this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hmm, if I understood your post, here's what I would recommend-

Assuming you don't want to buy a new receiver:

Video:

HDMI from DVD player to an HDMI switcher (available from monoprice)

DVI from the dish receiver, converted to HDMI (buy a $5 adapter) mentioned HDMI switcher

If you do not want to buy the switcher (say you want to be able to switch entirely by remote and don't want to spend more money for an electric switch), then use component from the dish receiver to the projector.

Audio: I'm not familiar with what you need to do to get the new audio formats. You could run digital coax or optical out from the dvd player to the receiver, whichever they both support; you can do the same for the dish receiver. However, no promises on new audio formats.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Yep you speak of new audio formats yet talk like you mean just a plain dvd player. You need a new hd-dvd or blu ray player for new audio formats. The reciever I linked you to for $269 has the ability to decode the new formats so you can just use hdmi to reciever for player then hdmi out to projector. It will even upgrade all the other video signals to hdmi so you only need one cord to the mits.

You could use old reciever if it has the inputs, but you have to make sure you buy a new hd-dvd or blu ray player that can actually decode the audio, not just output it via hdmi. Which is more rare I think most just output it I believe.

Either way theres your two options. But with the reciever being so cheap, heck for $600 total you can upgrade to hd-dvd and reciever both all for the cost of one blu ray player lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.