AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my MIT MDR-200 for over a year and used it with a projector and a TV with great satisfaction and no problems. Recently it sat for a month and I connected it to another TV. I scanned for new channels and found that one particular channel, channel 8, no longer found the 3 HD channels. I have tried several things including taking it into another room and using the antenna lead for a TV that is definately receiving all the channels to no avail. This now has progressed to not finding the 2 HD channels associated with channel 13

Has anyone else had this type of an issue with a MDR-200? Will the software upgrade which I have donwloaded, but not installed likely help? Or, are there any other ideas about how to handle this issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I too have found the MDR-200 channel scanning to be a little flakey. I live in a difficult OTA area and some times all channels come in more marginally. I have found that I should scan at a time when all channels are strong. Once found during scanning they are received fine even on marginal reception days. I actually wish the MDR-200 would let you add channels manually instead of requiring the scan.

I have the software dated 7/30/04 (I forget the version number). It was emailed to me by a digitalconnection.com employee but is not on their web site.

Rick R

·
Registered
982 Posts
Dryerman,

I haven't had that problem. My first response is to wonder if you are scanning the right antenna input. If you are using both antenna inputs, it's very easy to accidentally switch between the two and you end up telling the MIT to tune a station off of antenna A that can only be tuned on antenna B.

Rick,

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I can manually add stations (after a scan in the past) by just entering the real channel number (e.g., hit '33' to add 13-1). It figures everything out fine.

-Reagan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the responses.

Looks like my tuner is going south. It started shutting down for no reason last night and has that tale tale smell we all hate when it comes to electronics. :(

I definitely was scanning the right antenna input, even scanned the other just to make sure. First the extra channel 8 channels went away and then the extra channel 13 one followed with shutting down heralding its death. As you say each time you scan you start from scratch. This is one of the things I love about my Sony KDF-55WF655. You do the first scan and then have a second utility that just scans and adds any "new" digital channels. This is a feature that all HDTV Tuners should have.

The MIT MDR-200 just made it through 2 years and failed, along with some other flakey habits, so there will not be another one around here. I purchased what for me was an odd replacement at Best Buy. A LG LST-3510A HDTV Receiver/DVD Player with HD Grade output. This to the touch, sight and feel is a higher quality unit then the MIT. One DVI or RGB connection for both the Tuner and the DVD. No DVD recorder mind you, just a player It also does not have a follow up utility to add new channels as the Sony, but it has a much easier to use and understand layout then the MIT. You choose the output type and resolution including 720P and 1080i with simultaneous 480i for recording purposes in a non HD format.

It is pretty well set up, but I wish it had a HDMI output. I will probably use a DVI/HDMI converter and run the digital sound to a receiver in a few days as soon as I get used to the new rig and the new Vizio L32 32" LCD I purchased at Sam's. I saw a large improvement in the picture over the Component connection when I moved to RGB this evening and there should be just a tad more improvement to gain from going to DVI. This is a very nice 32" LCD at a good price.

Thanks again for the responses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.