AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an MIT MDR-200 and I have a few problems I'd like to find out if I'm doing something wrong or if I got a bum unit.

Out of the box it turned on and I got it to tune into analog and digital sub channels. The output wasn't great, and then I realized it was on 1080i. My TV is a Grand Wega 50WE610 which is 720p native. So I flipped the switch on the back to 720p and power cycled. Now the output was very good. So I continued to set it up. I went into the auto channel scanning and got a bunch of channels. I flipped between several. Next thing I know it gets stuck on channel 50 which is not a clear channel. As soon as I try to switch channels up or down it locks up. It won't go into the menu or do anything, but I can tell its getting commands from the remote because the led flashes.

If I turn it off and on, and try switching channels by manually entering them it won't change. It acts as if nothing happened, but I see the number being entered in the dialog on the screen.

I deleted channel 50 out of the channels and then it defaults to the next channel down (49), which is analog and comes in just fine. But again it won't let me change channels away, or go into subchannels, etc.

I tried autoscanning again and it hits channel 2 which it displays on the screen (ABC) in my area and locks up. I'm just not really sure what happened as it was working. I've tried switching back to 1080i, and other such things.

I have a roof antenna that I believe is UHF/VHF. It's quite large and I get very clear strong analog signals on my normal tuner.

I have been able to use the inputs just fine, I hooked up my tivo through it and it seems to work fine.

However, as I was watching I noticed a very light band about 2 or 3 inches at the top of my TV which doesn't happen when its hooked directly to my TV. Very annoying on black backgrounds as it starts out as a light blue at the top and fades into black. I see this on all inputs including the antenna.

Also, I notice a band on the right side of the screen where the video gives off lots of artifacts which I also don't see when the Tivo is hooked directly to my TV.

Did I get a bum unit because I have heard these units have very good scalers and should be improving the signal from 480i devices.

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm.. I have called tech support (twice), they just give me an RMA number, the second unit I got does the same thing. I have also met another person through AVS that has the same problem. We have channels in our areas that seem to lock up the interface software on this box. Can't change channels even by unplugging the box from power plugging back in..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Definitely not a STB for you to use if another person has the same problem and this is your 2nd box. I'd ask for a refund and investigate another STB. That sucks as I've haven't had any of those problems and the MDR-200 has worked very well so far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are refunding my money, but they didn't even try to troubleshoot my problem. I don't know if that means they know that some problem exists but don't have a solution yet, or what. Anyway, that is the reason I picked one up. I heard it definately has the most sensitive tuner bar none and the addition of the scaler for 480i devices really made it attractive to me. Not to mention the price.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyCAPSLOCK
Hmmm.. I have called tech support (twice), they just give me an RMA number, the second unit I got does the same thing. I have also met another person through AVS that has the same problem. We have channels in our areas that seem to lock up the interface software on this box. Can't change channels even by unplugging the box from power plugging back in..
Does the person have the same MDR-200 box or another STB?

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyCAPSLOCK
They are refunding my money, but they didn't even try to troubleshoot my problem. I don't know if that means they know that some problem exists but don't have a solution yet, or what. Anyway, that is the reason I picked one up. I heard it definately has the most sensitive tuner bar none and the addition of the scaler for 480i devices really made it attractive to me. Not to mention the price.
Exactly how would a dealer trouble shoot your lockup problem? If it locks up you can't record a D-VHS tape to send to the manufacturer to analyze.

It’s highly probable that the lockup is caused by bad data tables in the transport stream and the manufacturer would need a TS sample to program a work around. Receiver manufacturers would have fewer problems if broadcasters would get up to speed on the requirements for digital broadcasting and stop transmitting crap signals.

·
Registered
5,775 Posts
Cliff,

I agree entirely with your comments regarding the broadcasters. The FCC should've made it mandatory for them to adhere to all the parameters for OTA DTV broadcasts, instead of leaving it up to the individual broadcasters to, for lack of a better phrase, do the right thing. It seems that from the very start some stations have chosen the path of least resistance. I've experienced it personally, as one of our locals is notorious for transmitting incomplete and/or erroneous PSIP data; that particular station's chief engineer's position on this is that he will do whatever he sees fit, regardless of what the FCC or the ATSC recommend. This type of attitude is what leaves us viewers with expensive equipment that does not function properly or live up to its full potential, and the blame invariably ends up being laid on the manufacturer.

---Rudy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.