AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I took delivery for my in-laws on the Mits 48613. I did all of the initial setup including analog devices that are controlled by NetCommand 3.0. I had some high expectations for this set based on what I have read and my experiences with the XX413 series.

Picture quality:

My in-laws currently only have analog cable so I was not too sure how it would look connected through coax rg59 on antenna A. I was pleasantly surprised. The PQ was extremely good. The best I have seen for SD. The new line doubler IMO is one of the best if not the best out there. No jaggies.

After adjusting all of the basic tweaks and overscan, I really had the PQ looking fantastic. To my surprise, out of the box the 48613 was looking good. Of course the contrast was cranked all the way up. Overscan was about 8%. I was able to get this down to 4%. Geometry was almost dead on. No speed bumps. Service codes for this set are 0357 and 0359. I do not charge to offer up codes like some websites do.

Blacks on this set were excellent as would be expected of a CRT based set. I did slightly back down the reds in Perfect Color. I was able to get the colors to the best I have seen on any set. Sure wish all this was this easy when I bought my 65907 in 2000. Focus on all three guns was dead on.

DVD (480P) looked great. Very filmlike. HD of course looked great on this set. Mits is known for having one of the best HD pictures out there and this set holds true to that. I was using the OTA integrated tuner for local HD. The only thing I did not like about the integrated tuner is the fact that you just cannot switch back and forth between the OTA tuner and the QAM tuner. You have to either rescan or manually enter the channels in. Mits should change that. I would prefer separate antenna connections for cable and OTA. I would hope to see that in future models.

Cabinet:

This set has one of the better looking cabinets of the '04 line. I do not like the models with the vertical lines on some of the upgradeable models. This one has a nice balance of triangular shapes on the front panel. Grey would not be my first choice for cabinet color but Mits makes it look good on this particular model. Protective screen removal was very easy. Just pop out the side clips and then bow out the screen. It comes right out. Takes about two minutes. Procedure is in the manual detailed with pictures. My in-laws basement theater has windows that face to the south so it made a huge difference with the screen off.

The unit is on a nice set of casters so moving the unit around was a piece of cake similar to pushing a slightly filled grocery cart around, makes for easy access to the back of the set and for cleaning. This unit sits at just the right viewing height. I believe the 55" sits too low. The 65" is just right too.

Inputs:

We all know by now that Mits has added DVI with HDCP this year. Along with that you have two 1394 ports on the back and one on the front. There are three HD component inputs on the back. One thing I noticed was the reduction in s-video and composite inputs which was nice and made you realize that Mits is really focusing you on HD. I was happy to see they used less analog inputs. So now you have four digital inputs for HD and three analog HD inputs. I like that.

On the front of the set is the smart card reader access. This is a clever feature that anyone with a digital camera will like. You can easily view your smart card data such as photos on the big screen. The compartment is hidden by a small door. Along with the card readers is the third 1394 port which is nice for connecting 1394 devices such as HD cameras and such.

NetCommand 3.0:

The new 3.0 is great. You can setup all of your analog devices to be controlled by NC. One word of advice, it takes some time to do. For complete control of the analog devices, you have to teach the set each individual command off of your analog devices remotes. This works well. I did have a few commands that I had to reprogram in as they were accepted into the set but when I went to use them they did not work. After re-entering the commands, they work perfectly. I recommend sitting close to the set when teaching the commands. Keep your remote about 6-12 inches from the IR window for accurate programming. Put fresh batteries in your analog devices remotes before programming for trouble free programming.

When using NC to control analog devices I did notice a small lag in time for the commands to go into the set and then be repeated out to the device. This was about 1 second which is fine, especially considering the convenience of being able to control everything through the set. You can program in what audio you want to switch to on your receiver along with video if you choose so. This is nice.

Remote control:

The remote control is the new larger version that Mits has been using for the last year. I like it. It is back lit and is preprogrammed with codes for most devices. It is no Pronto programmable but it is not meant to be. I found setup with the remote to control pre-programmed devices very easy and not time consuming at all.

Speakers:

The sound out of the speakers was good for TV speakers. I personally rarely use the speakers on a TV. I always use my receiver and HT speakers. I would not mind if TVs did not come with speakers.

Overall this set exceeded my expectation. I highly recommend it. The ergonomics are great. Even a young child could figure out how to use this set. The cost was ~$2300 which is a great price for an integrated set. For the price, performance and ergonomics, this set will be tough to beat.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Nice review Kipp,

I have a couple of questions, are the 413 series and 613 series the same except for the OTA tuner? If so, I assume the great PQ you talked about would also apply for the 413.

Right now I'm leaning towards purchasing a WS-65413 - I'm just wondering if increasing the screen size from 48" to 65" significantly decreases the quality of the picture.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Kippjones:

Excellent post.

Did you have a chance to check grey scale? I'd like to know if the last two dark square appear the same or if you can see a difference.(lack of black crush)

Thanks,

Jim

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by shaneotool
Nice review Kipp,

I have a couple of questions, are the 413 series and 613 series the same except for the OTA tuner? If so, I assume the great PQ you talked about would also apply for the 413.

Right now I'm leaning towards purchasing a WS-65413 - I'm just wondering if increasing the screen size from 48" to 65" significantly decreases the quality of the picture.
The differences I see are NetCommand 3.0, Smart reader slots, 1394. integrated tuner and EDF lenses.

I have a 46" and 65". The difference I see with the size difference is that the 46" is slightly brighter than the 65". You are dispersing the same light over a larger field.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JimP
Kippjones:

Excellent post.

Did you have a chance to check grey scale? I'm like to know if the last two dark square appear the same or if you can see a difference.(lack of crushing blacks)

Thanks,

Jim
Not yet. I did not have enough time. Sorry. :) :) :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Kipp,

If you dont mind me asking, where did your in-laws purchase this set? I have only seen the 513 models available for order so far.

Thanks,

DWhite

·
Registered
256 Posts
Kipp,

How are the 2004 Mits models in a moderately bright room? Earlier versions didn't look so great--screen reflections, glare, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Thanks for the review. I had planned to trade in my 73711 for a new 04 73 inch model if they ever become available. This about settles it for me. I guess I better telephone Sound Advice in Tampa to determine if they know anything new.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
kipp

you now the codes for 55413?

not that I know how to get in with them, but thanks

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
thanks

one or the other, right?

both aren't entered?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Kipp,

Whats your opinion on Ghosting / ringing with the 413 series, can it be eliminated completly?

As far as Mits. codes, is there a good link hoe to access and use these?

We are trying out a Hit. 57S700 currently, pretty happy, a few issues may lead me to the Mits. line.

Tom

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tom,

I have not seen the ghosting/ringing on the 413 series so I am unable to answer that for you.

I just post the codes as the new ones come along. If you search here, you will find plenty of details on how to use the codes.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones

I was using the OTA integrated tuner for local HD. The only thing I did not like about the integrated tuner is the fact that you just cannot switch back and forth between the OTA tuner and the QAM tuner. You have to either rescan or manually enter the channels in. Mits should change that. I would prefer separate antenna connections for cable and OTA. I would hope to see that in future models.

My old Mits has "Ant A" and "Ant B" inputs on the back of the set.

Does 613 not have an "Ant B"??

Thanks,

Jim

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.