AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Mits 52725 and really like the set except for the fan-color wheel noise. Granted my room is tile and sheet rock and glass, but the whirring noise bugs me. I've tried putting a blanket behind it and pillows on the sides. That helps, but I still hear it clearly in a quiet room.

I guess that all DLP and LCD TVs have fans, but are they all noticeably heard from 15 ft away? Any ideas on what the most quiet TV of this type is?

I have 60 days to return it ti the store, so I'm looking for options.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is one of the things that concerns me with this set. I have a small living room and I sure don't want to here the fan when the sound is low. I won't have the option returning it because Sound advice already swapped out 2 55813's because of bad crt's so I would hate to get a dlp and then call them up and tell them I want another brand because of the fan noise so thats where I'm at. Is it still bothering you or did you find a way to make it less noticable?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Golfrok
The only time I notice the fan noise is after the set is turned off, and it

isn't a distraction, by any means. I watch my 52725 from about 8 or 9 feet.
Either your hearing is bad, or your fan isn't working like it should. :)

First: Putting pillows on the side could block air flow and be a bad thing.

2nd: There are two fans, one for the bulb, another for the internal power components. The back plate stays warm ALL OF THE TIME and requires an Auxilary fan.

The fan noise from the auxilary fan (on all of the time) isn't so bad. No more so than your home AC vents blowing... Just that slight low-tone wirring noise. I only notice it when I make that 2:00 sleep walk to get a drink from the fridge.

The bulb fan noise is LOUD. No question about it. With a TV volume of less than 20, you can hear it. It's like trying to watch a movie on an Air-plane. If you work around computer equipment all day, your more used to it. Don't like it as much as the next guy, but more used to it.

I"m looking at puting my TV in an enclosed TV stand (armoir?) and having an exhaust hole cut for the fan's air flow. All the while using the stand to "block in" the noise.

You'd think the fan would slow down during "low temp" mode, but it does not.

Mistubishi screwed up the fan and the glare screen on these sets... but I'm still keeping mine.

If you send me a decibal meter, I'll measure it for you. :)

·
Registered
355 Posts
not sure about other models, but the samsung hlp5085 is pretty quiet. i don't notice the fan unless i walk around to the back of the tv. unlike my directv-tivo, whose fan i can hear while watching tv on low volumes, the hlp5085's fan is unnoticeable unless maybe if you put the tv on mute and then try listening carefully for it, but even then it would only be a faint whisper unless you're right next to the back of the tv.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I fist started this thread I should have stated that I've been told by many that my hearing is too sensetive to ambient sounds. Still, other folks hear the noise from this TV. My set up with the blanket behind and small pillows blocks a signifigant part of the noise, but not enough.I think I'll have to get some sort of wall unit that fully encloses the set and line it with some sort of accoustical barrier material. That's not what I want to do, but it's that or go back to a CRT set with no fans.

Thanks for the feedback. Still looking for ideas.

Any ideas on a very compact and simple full enclosure for this set?

·
Registered
49 Posts
My Mits 52525 fan that runs when the tv is on is about twice as loud as the Samsung hlp5063 I had before according to my subjective hearing. The samsung also doesn't need to have the secondary fan running all the time like the mits has.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.