AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to talk. I think I may be having a problem.

Here's the deal. I bought a 55" Mits Platinum Plus a few weeks ago. I haven't gotten to spend that much time with it. The only problem I have noticed so far is:

When I was watching Dinosaur, I noticed something during the desert scenes that really bothered me. Three vertical lines, just right of center on the screen, each about 1/2" to 1" wide, that run top to bottom on the screen. The lines appear as the rest of the picture does, but they are slightly "brighter", or "lighter" in color.

The odd thing is that when the credits roll and the screen is all black, I examine the screen really closely and don't see the lines, when it seems like the problem should be easily visible what with a solid background and all.

So I am led to believe this problem varies based on the colors displayed on the screen, and seems to show up more during lighter scenes (such as the browns in the Dinosaur desert). But I have no idea what else could cause this.

I have a Yamaha DVD-S795 player, I'm using BetterCables Silver Serpent component video cable to go directly from the DVD player to the component input on the Mits.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be the culprit? Is this fixable? I'm sort of worried. :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Joe. I've already posted the same topic over there and believe it or not--no response! I thought for sure the Spot would be where I could get an answer but nobody seems to have anything to offer.

Now I'm really worried! :(

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Do the lines appear when watching other material? e.g. NTSC or HDTV? Just DVD? Does it happen with any other DVD besides Dinosaur?

If not, I would try to isolate where the problem is. First I would try a different set of component cables; then check out a S-Video cable; and try another DVD player.

If the problem is in the set; its prob time for a service call. However it might well be just related to the DVD setup.

Bruce

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bruce,

I will do some more testing this weekend. Trouble is my components are in a separate room from the TV, so every time I try to test something I either have to move components or buy a cable about 18' long!

So far I have only noticed the problem with DVD, but I will test out digital cable a bit more. Yes, it most definitely does happen on more than Dinosaur. I noticed the same thing on Shrek and The Sopranos. I don't have HD. It's a difficult thing to spot even on DVD because you have to have the right color conditions on the screen, but now that I know it's there I'm always looking.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I think you need to isolate the problem being the DVD setup which is my suspicion. Can you bottow another player and cables and connect it to your TV in the main room just for a test? I take it access to the back of the set is problematic but hopefully doable. How long are your main component cables? Let us know whats happening.

Bruce

·
Registered
696 Posts
Its hard to tell from just a description, but its possible that you are seeing "speed bumps", which is the term for poor geometric convergence. Poor convergence is when the three CRTs don't converge and is most appear when watching multicolor material. BTW, geometry CAN vary by input source.

SPoT is still the best place for information.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Speed bumps to me means horizontal distortion not vertical lines. Until Dustin can do some more trouble shooting I would suggest he post his question over in the DVD section of the Spot in hopes that one of the experts there can say ....yeah that sounds like a dvd problem (or not).

Dustin: how long are your component cables in use now?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a single 8 meter component cable going straight from the DVD Player to the input on the Mits.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have a similar problem, NOT with DVD, BUT WITH HD off of a SCI Atlanta 2000 HD and with the MIts SR5. Tried convergence(not mechanical), the set has the raster ringing upgrade(set is 65905)...so with both sources--should not be cables(ie the mits has two component inputs, seperate, for dvd and YPbPr.

At a loss--have not yet ISCed the set.

Bill

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thank you for using the term "SPEED BUMPS". I am having that very problem on NTSC input only, HD looks great. However, I had no idea how to describe it so I could search on it. I went to the HomeTheatreSpot and searched on SPEED BUMP, and now I have several posts to go through.

Thanks!

BTW, my set is a WS-55805.

Quote:
Originally posted by jvos
Its hard to tell from just a description, but its possible that you are seeing "speed bumps", which is the term for poor geometric convergence. Poor convergence is when the three CRTs don't converge and is most appear when watching multicolor material. BTW, geometry CAN vary by input source.

SPoT is still the best place for information.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone,

First of all thank you for thoughtfully responding to my question. Here is the update.

I tested it out this weekend by using both component inputs on the back of the TV, two different interlaced DVD players, long and short component cables, and with my cables not running through my wall next to a bunch of other stuff, in case it was interference that was causing the problem.

The lines were clearly visible using a 50 IRE gray pattern, or the Horizonal IRE Steps Gray pattern in Avia. Turns out there were more lines that I though, about half a dozen, and the effect seems to fade as you move to the right on the screen.

In the end, I discovered there were only two ways to make the lines go away.

1. Use S-Video. This is undesirable, as the color difference between using S-Vid and component was obvious just from testing. I want my component video.

2. Use progressive input. CraigM over at The Spot made the call on this one. I went to Sam's Club and bought the cheapest DVD player I could find just to run a test (sorry, Sam's, but your liberal return policy is going to get some exercise here), the Apex AD-800. I am not impressed with this player's overall performance or interface, but there is no doubt after checking out the same Avia patterns again that it made the lines go away. Now I see perfectly flat colors, as expected.

So, that's good to know. Now I just need to decide what progressive solution to go for. Not sure if I want to do iScan or get a p-scan DVD player.

Anyway, thanks again for your help and I'll keep you posted if there are any new developments.

BTW, this is something that new Mits owners should possibly take a look at when they go buy their sets. Flip in Avia and look at the patterns and let me know if you see the same problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had this problem with my WS65857 too.

This was when yhe TV first came out (1 year ago) and the service techs couldn't figure it out tinkering with the new chasis. They refered to those lines as "jail bars". There were 6 of them also.

I got an exchange for another new one which didn't have the problem. So whether it ever got fixed or not, I don't know. This new TV still works flawlessly to this day. (knock on wood)

Perhaps the place you bought it from has a 30 day return policy?

Ofcourse, they may want to try to fix it first though.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
271 Posts
If by "jail bars" you mean small lines from top to bottom on either the left or right side of the screen, very faint, then it could be the problem known as "raster ringing". This can be fixed by most competent service technicians, as Mitsubishi has 'finally' acknowledged the problem. They place two ferrite beads on some leads, and that corrects the problem. I called the store I bought from (HiFi Buys) and reported the problem as 'ringing', and the tech came out and knew exactly what it was before he ever turned the set on. (I have a 5-year warranty extension)

If that sounds like the problem, report it as 'ringing' and see if they respond.

Don

Quote:
Originally posted by Vettster
I had this problem with my WS65857 too.

This was when yhe TV first came out (1 year ago) and the service techs couldn't figure it out tinkering with the new chasis. They refered to those lines as "jail bars". There were 6 of them also.

I got an exchange for another new one which didn't have the problem. So whether it ever got fixed or not, I don't know. This new TV still works flawlessly to this day. (knock on wood)

Perhaps the place you bought it from has a 30 day return policy?

Ofcourse, they may want to try to fix it first though.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a similar problem with one vertical bar and the service rep fixed it. There is a fix which had already been put in set and the rest was dressing the wires away the the power supply. i.e he moved a few wires around and it was gone and has been since.

TBMike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to update everyone on the status of this problem.

I finally had a tech come look at this television. The tech immediately saw the problem when I put up a 50 IRE solid grey pattern. Based on my previous tests, he couldn't figure out immediately the problem. As he explained, he had not seen the "jail bars" on a new Mits model--they were supposedly addressed in this model. However, after calling up Mits, they are going to try the same fix as the one used on the old Mits TVs, which means the board will be replaced. I forgot the 4-letter acronym for the board.

I am happy just to have the problem acknowledged and actively worked by the tech and by Mits. Switching to progressive scan would be a patch, not a fix, and I am concerned I would run across the same thing once I got 1080i input, which I do not have now. The board is apparently expensive so the repair shop carries no inventory and must order the part from Mits as needed. Once here, it's only 20 minutes to replace it. I will let you know if it resolves the problem.

Thanks again for your input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.