AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Tivo Series 2 connected to the Input 1 of a Mits WS-55411 set via Svideo. The quality of the image on Live TV is OK, but on a recorded show is not as good as I had hoped it would be. Best quality is passable, but he lower qualities need some improvement.

I am looking for some options on improving the image quality.

I am considering feeding the svideo into a DVDO iScan Plus v2 line doubler and connecting the output to the DTV input of the set using a breakout cable. That should give me a 480p Tivo image which should help the picture. Has anyone else done this?

Any other suggestions on the scaler / doubler front? I'm aware of HTPCs and what can be done there too. Looking for tips for this particular set.

Thanks all,

Steve

·
Registered
171 Posts
Steve,

The problem is most likely with the MPEG compression that TiVo does when quality is set to less than best. (Note, best and live TV should be equivalent).

I'm afraid a line doubler or video processor won't help much (although I have not tried it). You would be feeding the already over-compressed signal from the TiVo into the line doubler. The line doubler would not be able to restore the information that is already lost due to the compression.

I have a DirecTiVo (series 1) that I connect to my Toshiba 51H83 through S-Video. Even with the DirecTiVo recording the stream directly from the satellite (i.e. no additional loss in quality when comparing recordings to live TV), I still notice MPEG compression artifacts on nearly every channel.

The only recommendations I can offer would be to always used the "best" quality setting on a standalone TiVo or to switch to a DirecTiVo.

Personally, I can't wait for the HD DirecTiVos that are due out in March or April. I will be getting one to replace my DirecTiVo as soon as they are available.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Iscan will help on this model Mits. I say go for it.

Iscan helps Mits and Pannys more than any other brands because of the poor line doublers built into their older lines (including the 411).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Marc,

From Steve's description of the problem (i.e. live TV looks OK, but programs recorded at anything but "best" picture quality look bad), I don't think the line doubler will help much. Don't you think the problem is with the MPEG compression?

The iScan may improve picture quality slightly, but the bigger problem is with the MPEG compression, IMO.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I'm working on this for a buddy of mine. I have the iScan just lying around so I guess it is worth a shot.

I think he is talking about the MPEG compression since he said that he noticed it the most on football games. Maybe we just need to head over to weaknees and get some more disc space for the TiVo.

Steve

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Mits line doubler amplifies compression artificacts and is absolutely horrible with fast motion (like sports). Iscan may not make it look like DVD, but should improve things.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took my iScan v2 Plus over and hooked it to the set's RGB connection using a breakout cable and connected the TiVo's SVideo out to the iScan. I'll have to say that there was really very little noticable improvement in the image from the TiVo on any quality.

I was a little suprised to find that since when I used it with my projector it really made a big difference. I guess we'll just have to add some more disk space to the TiVo and record everything at best quality. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Let me know if you can think of anything else that we could try.

Steve

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not sure if this will help you or not since I'm not quite sure what I did but maybe someone in this forum could elaborate.

I also have a SA Tivo and was getting very poor quality with S-Video. I have a Sony RP and I changed the mode from "Standard" to "Movie" mode. According to a friend of mine, this turns off the "Velocity Scan Modulation" or "Scanning Velocity Modulation". Maybe if the mits has a similar setting you could try that, it improved the Tivo picture 100%!

Again I'm not sure what that actually does but at least now I could read the text on the TiVo descriptions.

Good Luck!

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.