AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I've got it down to one of these two TV's. First we will be watching mostly SAT & DVD's on it for now. Can get the 411 for $2299 and the SWX for $2259. I've weighed the pro's and con's on these two and it boils down to this. I favor the 411 because of it's reliability/quality and stretch modes. Of what I have read and seen( more read that seen. The stores are terrible to check this out on) the Mit's does a better job with stretch modes.....Right? I question the reliability/quality on the SWX because I was told by a sales REP. that the Hitachi's TEND to go bad after about 3 years. Anyone have any input on this? The 411 is bigger screen but by how much I don't know.

Now the reason this is still a debate is I've read the SWX does better with up-converting a signal. Is that true? It also has DVI ( how important is that?). It has 117 point conversion and the Mit's has 64.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is.....Are these advantages to the SWX enough to buy it over the 411?

My understanding is that the Promise Module coming out on Dec 15th for the Mit's will give me Firewire but not DVI....Right?

This is just my take on this but IF? either one of these take off I think DVI will before Firewire will only because DVI is being pushed here in the States and by Hollywood.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just bought the 51SWX, and my brother got his 55411 2 weeks ago. After viewing both for extended periods, I'm happy with my puchase, and my brother is considering sending his Mits back. The Hitachi has a much better picture with standard (digital) cable, and gets the edge with DVD as well (although the Mits is no slouch in this regard). The Hitachi seems to have a much greater light output than the Mits, and has a much wider viewing angle as well. I haven't even tried manual convergence yet, either-it looks so good after the basic Sound & Vision DVD picture tuneup, I'm afraid to mess with it! I don't like the stretch modes (hate that funhouse mirror effect) but the Mits stretch modes aren't that great either (Toshiba and Pioneer are the winners here). I watch everything in original aspect ratio, anyway-I've gotten used to the gray bars. 16x9 is the format of the future, anyway-in a few years, stretch modes will be a moot point.

Mitsubishi makes a quality product, but for me, Hitachi looks just as good as Pioneer Elite-and for a lot less money, too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Consumer Reports list Hitachi RP sets as having the highest reliability of anything out there. SOunds like the sales rep makes a bigger comission on the MITS.

You will find lots of posts here so look around. In the end they are both good sets so buy the one that looks best to you. I have the XWX and am pretty happy with it except for the integrated HDTV tuner which is a non-issue on the sets you mentioned. Excellent PQ on cable and even VCR. Awesome on DVD and HDTV.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok guys thanks for the info. Have a few questions for you. The 411 has 3 COMP. inputs. How many does the SWX have? On the stretch modes when I tried them the SWX made them look like pumpkin heads. The 411 was not to bad. Your input helps a lot here since trying to do this at the store does not work well. Stretch modes are important to us because I worry about burn-in(watch a lot of SAT). "In a few years" can cause a lot of damage. Angle is not a big factor here. Is the shield screen detachable on the SWX? How much did you get the SWX for? Did you see a difference in size when you looked at the 411(51-vs-55) but decided you could live with it? How much tweaking did your brother do to the 411? It worries me when people say they "look as good" as a Pioneer Elite. My eyes say they are in a league of their own. I'm not knocking the SWX, I would not be debating this if I didn't like it. Your opinion holds a lot of weight ( good or bad) that's why these forums are so helpful. Nothing beats having it at home and adjusting it. Everything has pros and cons and my priorities are different from everyone else's. That's why your answers help so much.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
If stretch modes are your primary concern...get a Toshiba.

I'd say reliability is a wash (between Mits and Hit...not Toshiba)

I believe Hitachi has 2 component inputs.

The SWX glare screen is not "detatchable". Although it can be removed, it is generally a semi-permanent removal. The Mits of course is detachable and reattachable. (The inherent design, does give Hitachi an advantage regarding viewing angle).

Padreken. Does your brother have a progressive scan DVD player? If not, I agree that the 480i DVD performance of the Mits sets is not up to par.

I recommend Hitachi if you want to plug and play/watch. I still think Mits is the best choice for someone who wants to self-calibrate for the best possible picture rivaling more expensive sets. Pioneer is the best choice if money is no object.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Marc, my brother is using a Mitsubishi progressive scan player he bought with the set. You know, the more I think about this, the more convinced I am that he might just have a bad set. I spent some time looking at several DVD's on a 55411 at Tweeter (5th Element, Lord of the Rings) and I came away impressed. He has a technician coming out to the house next week to look at the set.

I still think the Hitachi beats the Mits with cable, though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Marc thanks for the info. What's your opinion on DVI? Is it important enough to go with the Hitachi over the Mitsubishi? Which one of these has the better stretch modes( Toshiba is out, that is it's only advantage over these two).

I think it comes down to

DVI & Upconvert analog signal -VS- Stretch modes & Extra COMP input

And I agree with you the Mit's can be tweaked to look just as good if not better than the SWX.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htrob
Hi Marc thanks for the info. What's your opinion on DVI? Is it important enough to go with the Hitachi over the Mitsubishi? Which one of these has the better stretch modes( Toshiba is out, that is it's only advantage over these two).

I think it comes down to

DVI & Upconvert analog signal -VS- Stretch modes & Extra COMP input

And I agree with you the Mit's can be tweaked to look just as good if not better than the SWX.

No matter how you tweak. Mits will never look better than Hitachi with analog signals. Hitachi's video deinterlacer is miles ahead of Mits.

I am an opponent of DVI. Mitsubishi has the largest market share of sets in homes and I find it unlikely that any content provider would limit their market by requiring DVI. If there ever becomes a time in which a digital interface is required, there will likely be both IEEE and DVI versions (especailly since Mits manufacturs STBs).

IEEE is the standard for digital video recording and editing (just glance at the PC world and digicams). DVI eliminates our ability to record. I choose the ability to record HD over the ability to view DirecTV's cropped presentation of Lord of the Rings in full resolution for $5.99.

[/rant off]

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Oh...I forgot to mention that I prefer the Hitachi stretch modes to the Mits.

I have not seen the Mits stretch on 1080i so I cannot comment.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if I watch mostly SAT & DVD the interlaced is a wash. Went to look at them again last nite and the stretch modes on the Mit's I think are better. I guess trying to decide if DVI is important enough to go with the Hitachi SWX. The PQ on both is close.......tough decision.

Anyone else on this?

·
Registered
93 Posts
htrob:

No matter which set you buy, if you have DirecTV and can receive OTA ATSC channels where you live, do yourself a favor and get an HD tuner for it. Get the oval dish and subscribe to HBO and Showtime HD, do what ever you have to antenna-wise so you can get all the networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and FOX), then sit back and watch HDTV. Regular Std def sat/cable looks like crap on ALL big screen HDTVs. It might look a little less crappy on some than on others, but it's still gonna look like $**t.

If you can't get OTA ATSC, and your cable company can't provide HD now or in the near future, I'd think long and hard about buying an HDTV just for DVDs the two or three HD sat channels.

I own a fully calibrated Mits and although I've had problems with it -- DVDs at 480p and HDTV on it looks better than anything else I've seen, and I've looked at 'em all. Color accuracy, clarity, black level - all tops.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
Oh...I forgot to mention that I prefer the Hitachi stretch modes to the Mits.

I have not seen the Mits stretch on 1080i so I cannot comment.
That's the first time I've come across someone actually preferring the hit's stretch modes to anything else on this site.

The mits will stretch 1080i sources? I don't think the hit will (it will zoom it).

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RichUF
That's the first time I've come across someone actually preferring the hit's stretch modes to anything else on this site.

The mits will stretch 1080i sources? I don't think the hit will (it will zoom it).
Mits is not bad...but on my Mits (2001) the stretch is based on about a 6% overscan setting. Looks fine in the showroom but after overscan (I run 3.5%) is corrected it is pretty bad. The 2002s are the same way. I've checked the Mits at BestBuy and it seemed to still use the same stretch for 480i...I'll check again. Perhaps the 480i non-linear stretch is better on the 511/711. I'll pay my dealer a visit and checkout the higher end models.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mits is not bad...but on my Mits (2001) the stretch is based on about a 6% overscan setting. Looks fine in the showroom but after overscan (I run 3.5%) is corrected it is pretty bad. The 2002s are the same way. I've checked the Mits at BestBuy and it seemed to still use the same stretch for 480i...I'll check again. Perhaps the 480i non-linear stretch is better on the 511/711. I'll pay my dealer a visit and checkout the higher end models.

Best Buy doesn't carry the 55411 does it? Don't they carry the lower end Mit's?

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Oops...I meant, perhaps stretch is better on the 411 not 511. Best Buy's set is equivalent to the 311 which is also equivalent to the 511. 411/611/711 is what I would need to take a look at.

Quote:
Originally posted by htrob

Best Buy doesn't carry the 55411 does it? Don't they carry the lower end Mit's?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok here is my conclusion. I think from what I have read,heard and asked about. If DVI becomes the standard, it will be awhile before it's set that way. Also I think that they will make DVI carry Component with it for a few years after.In other words they will implement DVI but continue to use what is out there now for a few years to give everyone time to switch over. Similar to what they are doing with HD.

With that in mind it will be quite a few years before it's the complete standard. So I think we are going to take our chances with the Mit's.

They are both great sets and both have their +'s and -'s. It came down to the stretch on the Mit's and PQ -VS- SWX's DVI.

But I will debate it till I buy One :)

Feel free to debate this with me :)

Thanks for all the great info and opinions everyone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have sold both brands for years. If you plan to keep the TV for several years, get the Mits. I'll leave it at that...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.