AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In regards to the two referenced RPTV's, which, in your non-biased opinion would be the better purchase? Does the Mits offer the photo card slot on their unit? Which would offer the better picture for non-hd Dish and DVD picture quality? Why did Mitsubishi mess with their exterior look and go with the slate grey plastic? Any opinions and your reasons would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,867 Posts
I have a 55413

It does NOT have that "slate gray plastic" (it may be one of the only lines that don't)

the exterior is very nice, I would say
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alpha21:

I did not intend to offend. Yours does not have the speaker cloth across the whole front of the tv, correct? It has it on the front sides with a slate grey plastic half hour glass shape in the middle, correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,867 Posts
no offense


I thought you were talking about the series that has that vertical vent looking crap on the sides of the front, I think that is horrible.

anything is better than that!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shootnpar
In regards to the two referenced RPTV's, which, in your non-biased opinion would be the better purchase? Does the Mits offer the photo card slot on their unit? Which would offer the better picture for non-hd Dish and DVD picture quality? Why did Mitsubishi mess with their exterior look and go with the slate grey plastic? Any opinions and your reasons would be appreciated.
In the end, I would say bigger is better. ;)


but...


SD (aka "non-hd") looks very good on the Mitsu. Nice line doubler and good stretch mode.


The Hitachi is going to convert DVD (480p) to 540p. Some say they can tell no difference, and I think DVDs would probably look fine to you, but I've never heard anyone say DVDs looked better on the hitachi. So for DVDs, if you have to pick one, mitsu is better.


One big thing is Mitsu doesn't accept 720p. If you feed it a 720p signal, you will just get a blank screen. The hitachi will convert it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
utstimpy:

in what case would I use 720p. Forgive my ignorance :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shootnpar
utstimpy:

in what case would I use 720p. Forgive my ignorance :confused:
1. xbox. And no doubt many future generation gaming consoles.


2. some of the channels broadcast in 720p. ABC (and therefore I would guess ESPN) Fox is 480p now, but I believe they will eventually be going to 720p.


Some things to note: Atleast here, Time Warner converts all 720p channels to 1080i, so it doesn't matter to me anyways.


If you're going to use OTA signals, most STBs will convert it for you too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Consider this a bump |-]

I'm also down to these 2 TV's, although it's between the 51S500 and 48413.

Perhaps someone reading this might know, regarding the Mits and OTA, would a MyHD-100 take care of converting any 720 signals to 1080i?


Thanks,


S
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by utstimpy
One big thing is Mitsu doesn't accept 720p. If you feed it a 720p signal, you will just get a blank screen. The hitachi will convert it.


Please tell the whole story. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: 720p is converted by almost every STB to 1080i if you so desire which makes this issue irrelevant. One of the few times 720p may be unacceptable to the Mits is from an X-Box game and such.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
Please tell the whole story. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: 720p is converted by almost every STB to 1080i if you so desire which makes this issue irrelevant. One of the few times 720p may be unacceptable to the Mits is from an X-Box game and such.


plz read the whole thread. Then you'll see that I said the same thing as you when he asked about it. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,299 Posts
I agree that the Mits cabinets could be better. I really like the S500 cabinet.


Hitachi is the way to go for gamers because of the 720p issue.


Otherwise, Mits can't be beat.


However, they are very close. If I didn't already own both a Mits and a Hit, and had to make a RPTV purchase now...it would be a Hitachi. I do enjoy the games!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
playing games is not an issue in regards to the decision making. My kids play their PS2 on a 35" Mitsubishi Console. That said, so far it seems everyone, or almost everyone, is leaning towards the Mitsubishi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
i just bought a 51s500, I'm having second thoughts because I do not like DVD performance on this set. I do think it is OK for SD cable and sat. and awesome for HD. I am going to go with a larger set, either the 57s500 or the mits 55413, so I'm in the same boat as all of you in deciding between the 2. IMO, I prefer the HD look of the Hit. set over the Mits. Not sure if the colors are more acurate or just more pleaseing to me. The Mits (obviously without alot of tweaking or ISF work) looks darker and a little brown/gray, and not quite as sharp. I have always had Mits big screens and tubes and I have experienced excellent reliability and the performance holds up very well. As far as user interface (remote, menus etc) I prefer the Hit. Please don't slam as these are just my takes on each set. I am very much still learning.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by balls75
i just bought a 51s500, I'm having second thoughts because I do not like DVD performance on this set. I do think it is OK for SD cable and sat. and awesome for HD. I am going to go with a larger set, either the 57s500 or the mits 55413, so I'm in the same boat as all of you in deciding between the 2. IMO, I prefer the HD look of the Hit. set over the Mits. Not sure if the colors are more acurate or just more pleaseing to me. The Mits (obviously without alot of tweaking or ISF work) looks darker and a little brown/gray, and not quite as sharp. I have always had Mits big screens and tubes and I have experienced excellent reliability and the performance holds up very well. As far as user interface (remote, menus etc) I prefer the Hit. Please don't slam as these are just my takes on each set. I am very much still learning.
OOTB performance can vary set to set. The Mits and Hitachi can be very comparable after calibration.


Fully tweaked/calibrated...Mits has the edge with both DVD and HD. But Hitachi comes damn close, even with DVD.


What DVD player do you use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Tosh 3900, component cables. not the ones they pack with the units, like an OK $70-80 set. Do you think that either updating the cables or player would help? I tried a buddies DVD player, some cheap $90 prog. scan that BB sells, and performance was about the same (as I would have expected). I am going to switch to the larger set this weekend, so I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread. Even though I am not the originator, I appreciate the feedback and comments on these sets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Someone confirm or bottom line this: These sets performance are so close that selection depends on cabinet styling, user interface (remote etc.), and the price you can get each for.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top