AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to figure out which RPTV to buy for the last 8 months or so. At first, I was all set on a Elite Pro530hd/hdi, but the streaking problem and the fact that Pioneer is stopping production on these scared me away.

Now that cost is more of a consideration (more expensive to refinish a basaement than I thought!!) I have narrowed the choice down to two - the Mits 55513 and the Hitachi 57T500. I have about 12 feet of viewing distance from the seats to the screen.

After looking around for a while, I'll wind up buying from PCRich. They gave me a good deal on the 55513, at just a penny under two grand (and they'll even throw in a Mits DVD player), while the Hitachi is two and a half "Benjamins" more.

They both seem to have their pros and cons. I will be using my Panny RP91 DVD player and Cablevision HD cable as my enhanced video sources, but it will also get a lot of SD input from the wife and kids (ie - SD TV and videos). Since I'll already have an HD tuner from the cable company, I'm not so sure the Mits tuner is that big of a deal - thoughts?

I am more concerned with PQ, strech modes, input flexibility, etc. Also, is it a big deal that the 57T500 will accept a 720p signal but the Mits doesn't?

All opinions/thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After reading a few more postings specific to the 57T500, it seems that there may be some confusion on mmy part. Is the 57T500 a new model that includes all of the latest improvements Hits introduced this year, or is it a renamed model from a prior year with a few cosmetic changes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping someone has an opinion...

·
Registered
176 Posts
All the T is ....an S with a higher contrast screen shield. That is all. The WS55613 is a better choice for a comparison. The 513 does not have quad-field focus, EDF (extended depth of field) Lens, the new Net-command.....and so on. I have visited numerous customers homes and the Hitachi's do not look good on satellite, do not use S-Video....composite works better...

The T is given to select retailers as an edge over larger chain stores...more features for the same or less money.

As for the Tuner........my cable company only offers 3 local stations as part of their HD Package. I pickup 25 different channels on the HD tuner. Some are repeats...But if one tower is bad then I have a backup to turn to...and gee I pay nothing a month for this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.