AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I want to say I am not near the expert level of knowledge and experience of many on this board. I have only hooked up to Cox cable so far. I had to use a 2-way splitter so I could maintain cable to my cable modem. I will connect my Panny RP91 later tonight.

As far as cable picture quality is concerned, not bad. First of all, the line doubler is vastly improved from those of even 2 years ago. That was probably the biggest reason I have not gotten a 16:9 set up until now. Those earlier sets made cable look really grainy. This one is slightly noticeable, but fairly smooth in texture. You have to look really close to see any texture or shimmer from the doubler.

After the delivery guy performed the convergence(which looks really good), the first thing I did was turn down the contrast, first to the midpoint of 31, and then later all the way down to 14! This thing is a blowtorch if it is set any higher. Next, I turned off Velocity Modulation and noise reduction, and set the color temp to the mid setting. Had to turn the brightness up a bit above the mid point. Sharpness at 31. I used the Narrow 4:3 mode. I don't like any of the stretch modes, and am hoping by having the contrast down to 14, I won't get burn-in from the gray side bars. Somebody please let me know if I will.

I jumped around all the cable channels, and found a pretty good picture for a line-doubled one. Graphics and text are pretty sharp. I wouldn't say VERY sharp. It seems the left half of the screen is better focused than the right. And, further, some channels are better focused than others. The delivery guy says the focus is set at the factory. Is it user adjustable?

I am not overly pleased with the color rendition so far. It seems faces of news anchors look washed out. On MTV I saw some better color and flesh tones. Perhaps the contrast is STILL too high. I haven't had a chance to watch some of the better network programs yet.

If it sounds like I am disappointed with the set, not really. I was not expecting the picture on cable to be that much better than my 52" Samsung RPTV. I am going to play around some more with it and see if I can get a more pleasing cable image.

When I can watch some progressive scan DVDs, I will post about that. There is no OTA HD here, no cable HD, and I don't have a dish, so I won't be able to comment on that yet.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Get AVIA or Digital Video Essentials (or at the least, S&V's Guide).

A setup disc is essential for properly setting your user settings. (I guess you could try using THX Optimode built in to some movies)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.