Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, my 55" Mits' 2Y Bday is in October and I was wondering

what kind of maintenance to perform on it.

While it looks just fine, color/brightness/convergence/focus-wise, I'd imagine there is a fair accumulation of dust inside (we have a dog).

I haven't adjusted brightness/contrast since forever and they are both @ 50%. This probably means that the lenses

are still clean.

Anyway, any advise ? I don't think I want to do full blown tuneup and ISF calibration just yet (once again, I like the colors/sharpness/conversion). Do I just take the cover (back ? front ? how ?) off and ever so gently vacuum inside ? Use a can of compressed air to blow the dust off the lenses ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Rashid11,

I've found this type of info over in the http://www.***************.com/ forum. They have a whole section on the Mits.

------------------

Tom Smith

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Agreed..to to the SPOT.

I had my set ISF'd about 6 months after I bought it. The nice thing with the 55805 is the 480p and HD serivce menu items for color are the same. So when they calibrate the colors in the service mode to 6500K for your 480p input, you can carry them right over to the HD input without having to pay for the extra HD calibration. Geometry is a another story.

Anyhow, twice a year I remove the screen to clean the lenses and mirror. Also blow the dust out of the components (first). I have a special cloth which was provided to me from my last RPTV. A soft cotton cloth should do. Don't use any solvents as you could damage the lenses. You'd be surprised how many scratches are on the lenses from the factory. While your there, do the manual focus then the electronic focus. I use the cantilever technique to manually focus...you'll find that on the SPOT. Then re-converge and you should be good.

ps..if you want a list of all the service code menus, e-mail me.

[This message has been edited by Joe_R (edited 06-22-2001).]

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Serviced !

The *************** IS the place to go.

I opened it up (photographed the whole process), expecting to see a whole lotta dust on the lenses. There barely was any, I just blew it off with compressed air from a can.

The electronic components however are really dusty and the only way to clean them is to blow semi-strong compressed air through them.

I almost wanted to wheel the thing onto a patio and do that (a have a vacuum, "Rainbow" that generates incredibly powerful and pretty clean air flow), but then I figured the dust might enter the CRT-Lensassembly and decided against it.

I did manual focussing (the 3 1/2 floppy method). It has to be done in the dark - I could barely see the image. Anyway, I ended with lenses at exactly the same positions they came from factory with.

Didnt do electrical focussing, as I lack HD signal source and on non-HD I would not be able to squeze those 3 extra focussing %s .

Put the whole thing back, did little advanced convergence.

No noticeable difference visually http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Was it worth the effort ? Absolutely !

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

FYI ... Just because the grayscale is set up properly based on a 480P source does not mean that the 1080i signal will also be set up properly.

There are differences. Sometimes huge ... although most of the time it is minor.

Regards

------------------

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Michael: True, there could always be subttle differences. Since my calibrator and many others (my self included) do not have an HD calibrating source, this 'find' was priceless. I believe this only applies to certain Mits sets. My HD souce looks great and I would bet within 99% gray scale spec. Also, the trick using the dvd video out to vcr in, vcr out to antenna in on the DTC-100 was a great great tip for geometry settings in HD mode. I give every so much credit for this stuff.

Rashid: Did you see any scratches on the lenses? You're right, even though you didn't make any major changes, it's worth the experience. Just have to take your time. I took the screen off once and dropped it. Problem was the front panel cable was still connected. The front panel circuit board broke in half redering the fron buttons useless. Not too big a deal since I never use them any way (remote junkie). Anyhow, I lucked out as the circuit board only cost around $6.00 to replace directly from Mits. I think I'm due for a focus very soon. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.