AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Mitsubishi 55809 that I've been using with my HTPC for a while now. I had my Mits serviced (IC Chips went bad) and when I got it back I plugged in my VGA to 5RGBHV Cables (just the RGB though not the HV cuz I get a buzzing sound when I plug them in now). I had borrowed a TV while mine was away and tried to get my computer working with it so I had selected some other Powerstrip timings but now that I have my Mits back I selected my old Mits AVS timings and my desktop is about 3 to 4 inches from the left side of the screen and the top of the desktop is all squiggly like it is being squished against the top of the screen.

I only use this for viewing DVD's from ZoomPlayer and for watching Edited HD shows that I record. Something is definitely hokey.

Also when I run ZoomPlayer the screen just scrolls like crazy....

Anyone have good timings for NVidia 6600GT and the Mits 55809?

And does anyone know how to fix the desktop being moved to the right too much? I can't seem to get it to move back.

Versions:

Powerstrip: 3.84 Build 640

NVidiia Drivers: 162.18

Thanks very much

Lance

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well just an update. I was able to get rid of the crush at the top but the screen is still shifted to the right. I have played with Powerstrip and tried to move the Screen Position in Advanced Timings but it doesn't go anywhere. Is there anything that could have happened when they fixed the TV that would cause only the DTV input to be off? The Ant-A and SVideo is just fine but the DTV is shifted about 3 inches to the right.

This was working fine before and I know I shouldn't have touched it while my TV was away but going a couple weeks without watching Movies and such was too tough and I wanted to try and get the other TV working which I never did....But now I need to get it back working on my Mits before the wife strangles me so any and all help will be appreciated.

Lance

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have narrowed this down to being the computer. I plugged in a DVD player that had component out into the DTV input and the screen is located in the right spot.

I am not sure what could be wrong. I would like to maybe get 640X480 working but none of the timings that were in the Sticky work for me they all cause some problem. Does anyone out there have any Mits timings for a NVidia card that can let me know what they are using? I also updated the card to the latest drivers hoping that might help but no go.

Thanks,

Lance

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I don't understand how it's even working at all if you have the H&V wires unplugged? Have you tried swapping them?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I had them swapped and they buzz something fierce when they are unplugged. They used to be plugged in before but backwards. When I plugged in my DVD player the picture was way green but still in the right spot. They supposedly only resoldered only the bad spots that were cracking and replaced the ICs when they had it in the shop.

Any idea what the buzzing might be?

Thanks,

Lance

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

Quote:
When I plugged in my DVD player the picture was way green

Sounds like your repair shop didn't do a very good job of fixing your set!

FYI, on the 55809 the HD inputs can be either either type of component signal (Y/Pr/Pb or Y,Pb,Pr/Y,Cb,Cr), although you have a menu setting to switch between them. Something to check anyway, but I'm guessing that the repair wasn't as complete as it should have been.

(BTW, if it's the board I'm thinking (pair of 'em acutally) it was only about $100 for new ones-can't imagine why they'd be soldiering)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Old Mits CRTs were/are famous for the solder cracking and causing convergence issues. It had already been touched up before but the ICs hadn't been replaced. But the solder cracks because it is heated then cooled (wash, rinse, repeat) and eventually it wears out and cracks. Mits supposedly used very cheap solder and it cracked pretty quickly but I went 5 years without it cracking. They (as all repair places did) recommended replacing the ICs (which I can get for about 40 bucks and they charged me 85 but that is neither here nor there) since they were so old and had the solder repaired before without replacing them. I will check the menu as I do remember something about that a long time ago with regards to using it as both component signals.

Thanks, and I'll post on how it works out if I can find the menu option

Ok I found the menu option and it was set to RGB. When I set it to YbCr the DVD player looked good. I switched it back and there is definitely a buzzing coming when the H & V sync are hooked up. I had it this way before (but on my set I had to the white cable in the red and the yellow cable in the white). The odd thing is I don't see my boot up anymore. I used to be able to see the computer boot up until it hit windows then it would go out of sync and not reappear until Powerstrip was activated. But I don't see that anymore.

Lance

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I picked up a VGA M-M cable today to see if maybe that input will work. I think I read on here that even though it says 480i that it will go up to the 1080i.

I just don't understand what would cause the buzzing when using the H & V sync cable (buzzed when they are reversed too) and why I can't get 640X480 to work. I tried these timings:

PowerStrip timing parameters: Desktop 4x3

640x480p=640,152,48,176,480,28,1,54,34290,272

Generic timing details for 640x480:

HFP=152 HSW=48 HBP=176 kHz=34 VFP=28 VSW=1 VBP=54 Hz=60

+hsync +vsync

I'll report back after getting to use the VGA cable.

Thanks again.

Lance

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Won't work with the VGA cable - you're limited to 640x480 using that input and all you'll get is a square in the middle of your screen.

The only way to get 1080i into your set is to use the HD-component inputs

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If this set is like mine, wt46809, it can auto detect rgbvh or YPrPb. No menu selection needed.

Have you tried to adjust the horizontal front and rear porch settings?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I wanted to update this thread and say thanks to all who responded. It came down to Moron Error....When the tech brought back the Set they plugged everything back in for me and when it didn't work I didn't bother to look and see where he plugged it in just that it looked to be plugged in. He ran then straight down thus putting my H & V Sync in the Audio Inputs.. I didn't pull the TV out to look I just reached back to pull them out and put them back in. That was what was generating my noise. When I pulled out the manual I noticed that the H & V Sync connections were to the right of the RGB connections and not below like he plugged it in. So User Error here and boy did I feel stupid...so it's all working now and thanks again for all the help/info.

Lance

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZone /forum/post/15558509

...putting my H & V Sync in the Audio Inputs...

That explains the buzzing!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Great news...

The only people that I have allowed behind my set were the 2 ISF Calibrators, that tuned the set up.

Cable guys need not even ask...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I was working and didn't have a choice...but thankfully I figured it out after looking at the manual.

I'm still hoping to get a new Samsung HL67A750 here soon to replace this one and move this one to a game room for the Wii but for now I still love the TV and didn't want to not be able to run the HTPC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts