AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody provide any information about the differences between these two models? Information appears to be scarce. The only differnce I have found so far is a .52mm pitch instead of .72.

Seems like for the $800-900 difference, maybe they also upgraded the internal scaler, used better lenses, whatever.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Bpape,

The only difference that I know of is the .52mm pitch and a glossy black exterior.

If you are in the market for a Mittsubishi Diamond, I would suggest waiting till Aug - Sept 03 and get the new diamond that will be coming out for the 03-04 lineup,

The new Diamond will have 9 inch CRTs vs 7 inch CRTs that are in the current model. This will alow a better picture quality.

Also the new Diamond will have both 1394 EEEE and DVI/HDCP.

The rep at my local electronic store also infomred me that the new Diamond will have a totally redesigned cabinet that looks "sleek and sexy".

I was going to get the current Diamond myself, but after seeing the upgrades coming out I am waiting to get the new model (just have to wait 3-4 months).

Hope this helps,

Jeff

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure does. Thanks. That screen better be well worth the price difference. I just figured that with the smaller pitch, they might have changed lenses to achieve a similarly smaller beam spot.

This is actually for my cousin. The local dealer has both the 711 and 712. They are referring to the 711 as the Diamond and the 712 as the Diamond Plus. I thought also that the current Diamonds had 1394 and DVI? No?

Any idea on pricing for the new units? He is getting what I consider a very good price on the 712 from a local brick and mortar dealer and getting a full ISF calibration with the deal.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well from what I hear you can get a good deal on the 02-03 (current) models. I know my local dealer has 50+ of the old models in stock with the new one coming out in a few months. I am sure thay are trying to get the old ones cleared out before the new line arrives.

From what I hear the new Mittsubishi Diamond will be the same price as the current model, infact the dealer that I talked to thought they may be a bit cheaper (?).

I think the new Diamond will have the smaller pitch screen as well "Diamond Series with the 9" CRTs and the fine pitch leticular screen".

I know for a fact that the current models do not have the DVI/HDCP connection. I want this as I am interested in the Samsung HD931 DVD player that upconverts the display on DVDs to 720/1080 (only through a DVI/HDCP connetion).

Jeff

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
They only did 2 modifications to the set and you listed the main one.

The other is a very stylish and anti cat scratch design front cabinet. I think it is really stunning and own cats so that purpose would be helpful to me. I negotiated that set pretty hard and the difference between it and the Diamond was 700 after negotiated, although it is greater at list. I think it is worth the 700 if it were the screen alone, but that cabinet really rocks. It is the nicest cabinet that I have seen. Everything inside is the same, just the 2 things listed are different. I really enjoy the black level on Mitsubishi and found that with the better pitch, the colors stood out more on that Plus. I can't attest to both calibrated. I find that the better cabinet makes it more of a piece of attractive furniture as well as your HD set, and that matters to some more then to others.

Good luck and I am sure which ever you pick, you should be happy. If you are in the south you may want to invite cheezmo over to tweak that puppy as he specializes in getting rid of Mitsubishi red push, and owns one himself.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jefftaz
Well from what I hear you can get a good deal on the 02-03 (current) models. I know my local dealer has 50+ of the old models in stock with the new one coming out in a few months. I am sure thay are trying to get the old ones cleared out before the new line arrives.

From what I hear the new Mittsubishi Diamond will be the same price as the current model, infact the dealer that I talked to thought they may be a bit cheaper (?).

I think the new Diamond will have the smaller pitch screen as well "Diamond Series with the 9" CRTs and the fine pitch leticular screen".

I know for a fact that the current models do not have the DVI/HDCP connection. I want this as I am interested in the Samsung HD931 DVD player that upconverts the display on DVDs to 720/1080 (only through a DVI/HDCP connetion).

Jeff
Are you saying that you think that next year's Diamond 65 is going to have 9 inch guns? That isn't known to dealers and will seriously raise their cost basis, so I had to clarify when I read that.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jose_L
Jefftaz

Do you know if the new models support 720p ?

Regards,

Jose
The current models support 720p, but if you meant will the new one's display in a native rate, that would be different, and unlikely. There wouldn't be a cost effective reason to do that unless they were sure everybody was going to because with only ABC and ESPN, which nobody is carrying soon until ESPN gets real on the cost of it, unless it was common place, whichever single company that did it, would price themselves out of their segments.

·
Registered
538 Posts
yes for a fact the new 65 diamond will have the 73,s 9 inch crt,s and from what i have read 7 inch is only good for something like 1080,1240? 9 inch will do 1280,1900 i no the numbers are wrong but the resolution on the 9 inch guns is way higher and brighter! retail was estimated 6,000.plus they will have alot more adjustments in the user menu.

·
Registered
583 Posts
New Television & Display Line-up Fact Sheet

Model & Series Description Sugg. Value Price

Series: Silver Series CRT Projection TV

WT-42313 42-inch Widescreen Table Top

HD-Upgradeable Television $1,799.00

WS-48313 48-inch Widescreen floor standing

HD-Upgradeable Television $2,199.00

WS-55313 55-inch Widescreen floor standing

HD-Upgradeable Television $2,599.00

WS-65313 65-inch Widescreen floor standing

HD-Upgradeable Television $3,199.00

Key Features: -- Full array of inputs and outputs to satisfy every

enthusiast

-- MonitorLink(TM) input for connection to the

HD-5000 HDTV Receiver/Controller upgrade

-- PerfectColor(TM) color control system that allows

for independent control of 6 colors

-- AMVP(TM) Advanced Multimedia Video Processor that

provides format conversion and dramatically

better picture performance from lower-resolution

signals (not available in WT-42313)

Series: Silver Plus Series CRT Projection TV

WT-42413 42-inch Widescreen Table Top

HD-Upgradeable Television $2,099.00

WS-48413 48-inch Widescreen floor standing

HD-Upgradeable Television $2,399.00

WS-55413 55-inch Widescreen floor standing

HD-Upgradeable Television $2,799.00

WS-65413 65-inch Widescreen floor standing

HD-Upgradeable Television $3,399.00

Key Features: All the features of the Silver Series, plus:

-- NetCommand-IR icon-based, on-screen home theater

analog device control system with IR learning

mode (not available in WT-42413)

-- QuadField Focus(TM) that produces sharper focus

and more detailed imagery

-- DefinEdge(TM) VSM that improves image transitions

from bright to dark scenes, controllable by

input.

-- Fully illuminated five-layer multibrand remote

for easy, sophisticated control in dark rooms.

-- Unique Plus Series upgraded cosmetic

Series: Gold Series CRT Projection TV

WS-48513 48-inch Widescreen floor standing

Integrated HDTV $2,999.00

WS-55513 55-inch Widescreen floor standing

Integrated HDTV $3,299.00

WS-65513 65-inch Widescreen floor standing

Integrated HDTV $3,799.00

WS-73513 73-inch Widescreen floor standing

Integrated HDTV $6,299.00

Key Features: All the features of the Silver Plus Series, plus:

-- NetCommand 3.0(TM) Digital and analog icon-based,

on-screen home theater control system with IR

remote code learning capability

-- Five-format memory card reader and processor for

on-screen display of JPEG digital photos and

playback of MP3 & WMA audio files

-- FireWire(R) IEEE 1394 digital interfaces with

HAVi (Home Audio Video interoperability)

software, fully integrated into the

NetCommand(TM) user interface

-- DTV-Link compliance for assured compatibility

with new HD cable box standard

-- Third-generation integrated digital receiver

technology with unsurpassed performance

-- Does not include QuadField Focus(TM) or unique

Plus Series cosmetic

Series: Gold Plus Series CRT Projection TV

WS-48613 48-inch Widescreen floor standing

Integrated HDTV $3,299.00

WS-55613 55-inch Widescreen floor standing

Integrated HDTV $3,599.00

WS-65613 65-inch Widescreen floor standing

Integrated HDTV $4,099.00

Key Features: All the features of the Gold Series, plus:

-- QuadField Focus(TM) that produces sharper focus

and more detailed imagery

-- Unique Plus Series upgraded cosmetic

-- Two-way coaxial speakers for improved high and

low frequency sound quality (not available in WS-

48613)

Series: Platinum Series CRT Projection TV

WS-65713 65-inch Widescreen floor standing

Integrated HDTV $4,799.00

WS-73713 73-inch Widescreen floor standing

Integrated HDTV $7,299.00

Key Features: All the features of the Gold Plus Series, plus:

-- Tru-Focus(TM) lenses for higher resolution and

brightness, enhanced depth and detail, as

well as more uniform cross-screen focus

-- Improved two-way speakers with 6-inch woofers and

1.5-inch tweeters

-- Unique platinum cosmetic with high gloss burl

finish

-- Gold connectors for improved electrical

transmission

Series: Diamond Series CRT Projection TV

WS-55813 55-inch Widescreen floor standing

Integrated HDTV $4,999.00

WS-65813 65-inch Widescreen floor standing

Integrated HDTV $5,999.00

Key Features: All the features of the Platinum Series, plus:

-- 9-inch CRTs in the 65-inch model for dramatically

improved resolution and brightness

-- Unique, modern cosmetic with high gloss black

finish for the discriminating buyer

-- Fine-pitch lenticular screen for superb horizontal

resolution

-- Anti-glare DiamondShield(TM) which reduces

annoying reflections

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steve morgan
yes for a fact the new 65 diamond will have the 73,s 9 inch crt,s and from what i have read 7 inch is only good for something like 1080,1240? 9 inch will do 1280,1900 i no the numbers are wrong but the resolution on the 9 inch guns is way higher and brighter! retail was estimated 6,000.plus they will have alot more adjustments in the user menu.
IF I would have known that beforehand I would have waited to see that. The 9 inch on the 73 has more detail than the 7 inch on the 65 already, so I can't imagine 9's on that 65. Going to be tough to sell in a segment that has such a higher cost though. I guess a 9 inch on a 65 will be similar to the 7 inch on the 55, but even better.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the info. The 03-04 model seems like a real winner. Especially with the MSRP being in the same ballpark. 9" tubes on a 65" set should be killer.

One more question though.... Anybody know if Mits will do the promise module thing if he decides to go 65712 so he could add DVI/HDCP later on?

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.