AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gather the Mits 65815 offers HDMI instead of DVI, and supports CableCard both of which are good. What other advantages does it hold over the 65813, and does it have any disadvantages? Does it still support native 480p scan rate (I can't see why they would drop this). Does it support input of a 720p signal at all?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be the perfect RPTV just about if it supported native 720p in addition to 480p and 1080i, or even if it just converted 720p to 1080i in some decent fashion.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Note that ATSC through the tuner DOES upconvert 720p to 1080i. For those using a cable or sat box, those units will also handle the conversion. That means this is a non-issue for any television viewing or upconverting DVD player or likely any new product to hit the market. For all intents and purposes every CRT RPTV is native 1080i rather than 720p. It's more expensive to have a second scan rate and HD has enough information that scaling it tends not to be very noticable (think about all the plasma displays that scale everything due to overscan parameters and non 720p pixel grids - no bitches there from the Pioneer 50" owners and that's a hell of a display).

Lack of 720p upconversion for nearly 99.9% of the people out there means issues with Xbox and it's fairly small offering of games than can acutally support 720p (none of the big or must have titles). The reason this generation of Xbox can't upscale itself is simply because it lacks the power. MSFT has already stated it's next gen console will fully support HD gaming and scaling capabilities.

The Super-Ignorant take this and tend to run with it and post all kinds of garbage about NBC or FOX not being viewable on a Mits so I figured I'd bite it in the ass right now. Of course, they tend not to read before they post either so we'll have to see.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My previous set was a 55" mits hooked up to sony directv hd box and can't say that there was anything lacking in OTA HD content whether it was broadcast 720p or 1080i, all HD programming looked great. Regardless of type of tv you choose, CRT or Fixed Pixel you will have to upconvert something since each technology currently has to adopt a cost effective solution with most CRT's only able to show 1080i and all fixed pixel displays showing 780p. Although there are some 1080p displays around but those have 20K plus price tags.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just downloaded the owner's guide to the 2005 Diamond Series WS-65815 RPTV from the web site:

2005 Mitsubishi Diamond Owner's Guide

This just showed up in the last 12 hrs or so.

There is only one reference to upconversion:

Quote:
Fully Integrated HDTV

This HDTV can receive all approved terrestrial broadcast digital signals, non-scrambled digital cable signals, terrestrial analog signals and non-scrambled analog cable signals that use a standard offset carrier system. Your TV will display all signals as 1080i True HDTVâ„¢.
As I see it, it only refers to upconversion from the internal tuners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.