AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been following threads for months on the current models of RPTV and I think I'm ready to make a decision.

We presently have a Toshiba 61" 4x3 that is about six years old. The picture has been and is still excellent (to my limited eyesight :) and we have never had any problems with the TV. We have looked at the Sony GWII 60", the Hitachi 65SWX20, the Toshiba 65HDX82, the Mits 65 Diamond and the Mits 73411.

We have DirecTiVos with locals and several local stations coming on line in DTV of one form or another. I think we have decided to go with the STB instead of integrated since this will get us both DirecTV's present three HD offerings and an over-the-air DTV tuner.

After looking at as many sets next to each other is seems the best picture IMHO was the Hitachi 65SWX20 although the closest Mits we could compare it with was a 55311 at Sears next to a 57SXW20. The Hitachi seemed to edge the 55311 (I realize that this is a Gold Series Mits). I know that showroom floors are not the best place to attempt to compare pictures but New Orleans is limited in higher end.

The Hitachi 65SWX20 goes for about 3500 from Sears, Circuit City and a local furniture chain. The Mits 73411 goes for 5000 from a Conns in Baton Rouge (about 70 miles away) and a local furniture chain.

The wife says get whichever one I prefer. I can justify in my mind the 5000 for a 73" but could just not feel comfortable with the 8000 for a Diamond 73". The Gold Plus also has the "Promise" module so that should cover the future upgrades of tuner, firewire, ETC.

I guess bottom line is a request for your opinions on these thoughts.

Will the picture quality of a Mits 73411 match the picture quality of the Hitachi 65SWX20? The nice feature of the 73" is watching a 4x3 picture on the set in 4x3 mode will result in the same size picture that we presently have on the 61" Toshiba.

Are there any reasons to lean toward the Hitachi versus the Mits except for price?

Thanks all for any assistance.

Lester

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just two quick comments for you. I am about to purchase the Mits 73411. After six months of investigation I am clear that the 73411 is the RPTV for me.

Remember that the 73411 has 9" guns. Not the 7" that the Hitachi has. I think that if you were able to see both side by side and appropriately calibrated your choice would be clear.

Also, It appears to me that Hitachi may have a greater incidence for repairs. I have also heard that their customer service may be suspect.

My .02

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
SWX all the way.

Better upconversion for 480i sources

Wider viewing angle (160 vs 110)

Better remote and on screen menu

256 point magic focus auto convergence

117 point manual.........(mits has 64 manual only)

DVI input

better speakers and sound (40 watts and two way vs. 20 watt 1 way on mits)

Antiglare screen (only Mits 711 has it)

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bowls 300s
What is a wider viewing angle?
Mits has a 110 degree viewing angle from the side to side

Hitachi has 160.

This has long been a consumer disapointment and concern with RPTV's, since they are dark from the sides.

The hitachi has a better screen and viewing angle, allowing more off axis seating and viewing.

The hitachi screen has better light dispersion charecteristics

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Mits has a 110 degree viewing angle from the side to side
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I did not know that there is a measurable distance between set to set, and thought they are all the same.

Not to beat this into the ground, but do I understand this correctly that 90 degrees is directly in front of the set and 160 degrees would be quite a marked improvement over 110 and of concern if your seating is all over the place as is mine. I ask because I just sold my 46" Mits HD. to go to at least a 65" and want to get it right this time. Thanks....Scott

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the information.

MFusick, I think the most important feature for me would be the picture quality. When I have been able to view RPTVs side by side the Hitachi SWxs always seem to have the best picture. To me it is most noticeable when text is on the screen. I realize that the 411s may not be a fair competitor to a SWX but the only reason I am looking at the 73411 is the 73 part of the model number :) .

My viewing distance will be right at 15 feet from the surface of the screen to the viewing position, I have not been able to see a 73xxx anywhere in New Orleans. One dealer has a 73411 at one of their west bank stores and I hope to see it this weekend. I admit that I am in the "bigger is better" mode. The only other other 73 is the 73711 and I just do not feel I can justify the extra $3000 in my mind.

Most of our viewing at this time is DirecTV with the locals and the occasional DVD. Most likely a 90%/10% division. I foresee the need to purchase a DirecTV HD receiver so the cost of an over the air tuner built into the RPTV is really a waste. As New Orleans locals move to HD broadcasts we will need the OTA receiver more often.

From what I can gather from the Mits site the optics for the 73411/73711 are identical so I would presume the PQ is very close. The added features of the 711 are not of great importance.

I guess the bottom line is that I have not seen a Mits with a picture that looks as good (to myself and my wife) as the SWX.

I just received a 10% off (good toward your next purchase) from CC which makes the SWX even more attractive. That $350 can go toward the purchase of a Sony HD200 from CC.

I was just hoping that someone could say "NO, the 411's picture will blow away the SWX", but that does not appear to be the case.

I think I'll start the price search this weekend.

Thanks all, I greatly enjoy lurking on this forum.

Lester

·
Registered
14 Posts
10% towards a FUTURE purchase?

Go for 10% off NOW!

That's what I did, (but of course the sales person had to get it "approved" by his store manager).

Cash in the bank, baby!

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lcarbajal
Thanks to all for the information.

MFusick,

I just received a 10% off (good toward your next purchase) from CC which makes the SWX even more attractive. That $350 can go toward the purchase of a Sony HD200 from CC.

Lester
No Sony SatHD200 for you...:(

MFG shipping delays... CC is all out of them...

Try the Zenith model for $100 cheaper. It's the exact same thing, Zenith makes the HD200 for Sony..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info on the Zenith. I may use the 10% off from CC to barter with the local furniture chain that carries the SWX. I have seen the 65SWX20b in their newspaper ads for $3199 and they have a 12 months same as cash plan. We get all our furniture from them so the discount on the TV may not be an issue.

Of course with a daughter and wife who are both gadget lovers I know the 10% off on future purchases at CC would be gone as soon as we receive it.

:)

The OTA tuner is not a big rush since only two locals are running any HD broadcasts and not even at full power yet. The ABC affiliate has stated that they would not be on-line for the super bowl so that kills another BIG reason to rush the decision.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I would buy it from CC because of the service after and before the sale.

They service what they sell.

See if they will match the price of $3199 then give you 10% back.

Also, CC return policy and willingness to exchange and make you happy should not be overlooked.

Usually furniture stores don't bend over backwards for you....

·
Registered
281 Posts
If your viewing habits are 90% DirecTV and 10% DVD then I think your better choice it the Mits. Hitachi has HORRIBLE strectch modes. That is the reason I returned my Hitachi. Sporting events were simply unwatchable.

Moneyman made a good point. Mits has the 9" guns and Hit only has 7" guns. 7" guns will only display 1280 pixels per horizonal line where as the 9" guns will display 1920 pixels per horizonal line. You know - TRUE HD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
I would buy it from CC because of the service after and before the sale.

They service what they sell.

See if they will match the price of $3199 then give you 10% back.

Also, CC return policy and willingness to exchange and make you happy should not be overlooked.

Usually furniture stores don't bend over backwards for you....

I purchased from CC, bought an ESP, and had a tech out to the house due to poor picture quality. He took one look, said "that's as good as it gets" and walked out. Never touched the remote. Never asked what cables I was using, nothing, nada. One call to Hitachi, and one post here (answered by Mfusick of course) gave more information for "free" than the $500 ESP from CC.

I returned the ESP, and still got cc to replace the unit. Since HIT comes with in-home waranty service on parts and labor, I'll go with that until they're set to expire, and then check w/ either HIT or a local service provider for another ESP. But I won't use CC for my ESP.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I own a Mits 73909 and the picture is really good but no RPTV will display 1920 X 1080 my Mits prob tops off around 1500 lines of rez no more then that. The SWX line is very good also I really like what they did this year to there line. Don't let the 9 inch to 7 inch guns make your buying decision up because the 9 inch gun's only give you 10 to 15 % more light output as far as rez between both sets the mits MIGHT be better but not one set out there will do 1920 X 1080 if anyone thinks that there out of there minds lol. Only a 9 inch gun Front Projector set up really good will do that and were talking 16000.00 for the projector alone then another 4000.00 for a scaler.

So just pick what ya like either one will give ya a picture you will love.

Anthony......:cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm also debating between the 411 & SWX. Darrin_R brought up one of my concerns about stretch modes. Is it that bad on the SWX? My main viewing will be SAT & DVDS. My other concern is built quality,will the Hitachi last as long as the MIT'S? A sales REP. told me that Hitachi's tend to go bad after about 3 years. Does Hitachi have their own "quadfocus" on the SWX? I favor the 411 more because of quality and stretch modes. The reasons I keep thinking about the SWX is DVI(how important is that?),117 convergence,160 degree angle. Are these enough reasons to buy the SWX over the 411? Anyone have any input on this?

Decisions! Decisions!

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I'm not sure where Mike keeps getting the 110 degree viewing angle on Mits. Hitachi does have a wider viewing angle due to the way the screens are stacked (Mits protective screen is intended to be removed and reinstalled easily). Unless you have small children or animals...you want the glare screen off. The Mits has the upper hand here for my viewing preferences at least.

Other than that. The picture on HD and DVD will be better on Mits. Hitachi will look better with NTSC due to the smaller screen size and better line doubler.

·
Registered
907 Posts
lcarbajal, If you want to see a calibrated Mits, try Art Colleys' in Baton Rouge. They may or maynot have a 73" on display , but they do have 65's on display.

Marc Alexander, What is the view angle on Mits ?

Regards,

Jose

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the tip regarding the Mits in Baton Rouge. We may have to go for a road trip since there are also two or three other locations that market Mits.

I have not been able to view the different stretch modes available on the SWX and the 411. I was able to view DirecTV at the local Mits dealer on a 65909. I was able to see HBO, HBOHD and a couple of our locals. Whichever stretch mode the salesman was using looked like pumpkin head.

I was hoping to go 4x3 (grey/black side bars) on analog and 16x9 on any other aspect ratio. I am somewhat concerned about burn-in. I am going to attempt to view a Mits and Hitachi side by side for their stretch modes.

I had thought about using a PC with the MyHD card to test the waters with HD reception until we decided on a HD sat tuner. I can live without HBOHD and ShowtimeHD for awhile.

I'll still need to upgrade our DVD since it's a five year old Sony (non-progressive)

I like the removable screen protector although we tend to have nightly golden retriever wars in the den in front of the set. My wife worries now about 175 pounds of golden going through the TV :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.