AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. I have a new issue that had been creeping up on me with me with my 73737. I replaced the DLP chip (star wars- fixed that) and a new Philips lamp and mits ballast with wire harness from shopjimmy. I installed it in the beginning of September 2014. My set isn't used too often and the inside of it was pretty clean and vacuumed up the remaining dust when I changed out the DLP chip.

Every now and then I have noticed a slight flicker or strobing. It's not that intense, I'm not sure a cell phone vid cam would pick it up. It's a very light flicker that affects the entire screen equally it seems, it's not focused in a certain area. At first, I thought it might be an HDMI cable. It's not, I checked using the test patterns in menu 2457. It shows up pretty much the same on the black and white and regular color bar pattern. Its only noticeable on bright scenes in movies. It's really random when it shows up. Sometimes it doesn't appear for nearly a whole movie. A few times in the last few days it shows up and reappears every few minutes or so. There's no color distortion or any other problems with the set besides a slight finger print that's on my dlp chip that needs to be wiped off some day :/

I hope this is just an easy warranty fix for the bulb I just installed, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Hello again. I have a new issue that had been creeping up on me with me with my 73737. I replaced the DLP chip (star wars- fixed that) and a new Philips lamp and mits ballast with wire harness from shopjimmy. I installed it in the beginning of September 2014. My set isn't used too often and the inside of it was pretty clean and vacuumed up the remaining dust when I changed out the DLP chip.

Every now and then I have noticed a slight flicker or strobing. It's not that intense, I'm not sure a cell phone vid cam would pick it up. It's a very light flicker that affects the entire screen equally it seems, it's not focused in a certain area. At first, I thought it might be an HDMI cable. It's not, I checked using the test patterns in menu 2457. It shows up pretty much the same on the black and white and regular color bar pattern. Its only noticeable on bright scenes in movies. It's really random when it shows up. Sometimes it doesn't appear for nearly a whole movie. A few times in the last few days it shows up and reappears every few minutes or so. There's no color distortion or any other problems with the set besides a slight finger print that's on my dlp chip that needs to be wiped off some day :/

I hope this is just an easy warranty fix for the bulb I just installed, what do you guys think?

It's the lamp. Did you get a new lamp cartridge with the lamp? If you bought from Mitsubishi, you shouldn't have needed a ballast, either. Cheap aftermarket lamps can damage the TV. That being said, see if it goes away when you switch to Bright mode.

Lamp-Substitution Alert

MDEA recommends that you use only genuine Replacement Lamp Assemblies purchased directly from Mitsubishi or a
Mitsubishi Authorized Dealer or Mitsubishi Authorized Service Center. MDEA advises that replacement lamps obtained
separately from the Lamp Cartridge and/or Lamp Assemblies obtained from unauthorized sellers may be incorrect for
your television, may not fit or perform properly and may even damage your television
. MDEA can not be responsible
for the performance, reliability or safety of any replacement lamps that are obtained from unauthorized sources
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/asset/file/owners_guide/C9-737-837_OG.pdf

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really appreciate the response. It seems as if the flicker goes away after the screen has been on for 30 minutes or so, it's very hard to notice it anyways. I don't remember if I mentioned it before or not, but when I noticed the flicker start the other day I jumped right into the service menu and it still flickered a little bit on both the black and white version of the standard color bar screen and the color version. I experienced a more extreme version of the flicker when my last lamp went bad after 6,000 hours. I have only had this new lamp for about 6 or 7 months so I'm bummed it's already going out, but at least it's under warranty.

I didn't purchase the lamp/ballast from Mitsubishi, but I did purchase it from shopjimmy.com which is very reputable. I purchased an original Mitsubishi ballast, and the most expensive bulb which was a Philips. I guess I didn't need the ballast, but I wanted to be safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts