AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

My 73737 was bought in the end of 2009, with 5,500 hours on it and no maintenance needed on it yet, including no bulb replacement. It has now come to my attention that the screen is emitting some sort of greyish "dirty" looking pixelation that can be seen on a totally black test screen. At first, I thought it was some interference in my HDMI cable until I used the patterns available in the Mits Service menu built in. The same, non-moving (stationary) pixelation is visible when looking up close at the screen, and only visible looking on black test screens. They are not full on white dots like missing pixels on an LCD screen. They are dark grey spots, stationary and don't move around as if there was interference or something. From 8 feet away, it's hard to tell, but up close to the screen it's obvious.

I think based on hours that I am due for a bulb change (5,500). I have never opened up the set before or tried cleaning it. Could this just be dust that can be fixed or cleaned out when I replace the bulb?

I'm trying not to break the bank fixing this, and I live in Orange County, would it be worth it to have someone change the bulb and clean out the TV?

Thank you!

Edit: Also, it seems there are more dark grey specs near the center of the screen rather than around the sides and edges. There is no pixelation, or specs or dots on any other test screen, including full white (after a long look I found 2 tiny specs) and color screens. My set is calibrated using recommended cal numbers from the pros on these forums, the brightness is definitely in check and I don't have it pumped up, All other image tests are sharp, clear, and text has no halo effects.

For the bulb replacement, does it matter if I go OEM or generic bulb? They seem to be around 30-40 on Amazon.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, I'll try and see if I can get it to show up correctly in the picture without being distorted by my lack of a good camera. The dots look more like little smears rather than a "dead pixel" solid black or white dot. But they appear in the same exact location no matter which test image I use in the service menu. It reminds me of interference in an older HDMI cable, but the pixels don't crawl or move.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry with the pictures of the screen guys, it's hard to show you what it looks like because the camera adds it's own digital noise in dark areas that misrepresent what I'm seeing in person. It literally looks a very dark scene from an older DVD, where you got picture noise or dot crawl. Except that these dots don't crawl. And none of the dots are white. More like a dark greenish color, varying in size (but all of it is small enough that you have to stand about a foot from the screen to see what I'm talking about, and again the dots/specs are stationary and happen no matter what hdmi cable is used or even the service menu test pictures. You only see it on black screens, not any of the colored screens or on white.

It would seem to make sense that something is dirty. I live with pets and roommates, and the two glass shelves under built into the tv stand need to be windexed at least once a month or they get dusty and very hazy looking (I live next to the ocean as well).

I would gladly pay a local professional to clean it out and replace the bulb, especially is someone can recommend someone by me in Northern part of Orange County.

Edit: I also bought a Playstation 3 around the same time as this tv set, and it has since broken. It usually sets close to the TV, and the inside of the PS3 was absolutely filthy and full of dust. I've had to replace a 1 year-old laptop fan from dust breaking it down and making noise, and my power supply to an XBOX 360 that was newer than the PS3 got clogged with dust and made whiny noises, even after blowing the dust out of it pretty regularly. I have never blown compressed air into my tv or tried to clean it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts