AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a link to this article at Dealerscope in the SXRD thread in the >$5k projector forum. The two significant things (IMHO) are the 83" 1080p LCOS RPTV and the "New Promise" STB.
Quote:
Mitsubishi also rolled out its "New Promise," second-generation technology that upgrades its "HD-upgradeable" sets to full HD-capable. Last year, the Promise was a servicer-installed module that attached to the rear of the set. This year, it's a super-set-top box that can serve as both an HDTV receiver and a home network controller. The HD-5000 HDTV Receiver/Controller, available this spring for $1,699, sports two analog tuners, one digital tuner, component and DVI/HDCP connections, three FireWire connections for networking A/V components, HAVi software, and NetCommand. New with the HD-5000 is its ability to work with any vendor's HDTV monitor, including front projectors, plasmas and LCDs. Said Zanfino of the HD-5000, "We took the guts of an integrated TV sans the display and put it in a box."
I said they should do this as soon as there was wind of the original promise module. I think this is good news for everyone, whether you own a Mits display or not.

- Mike

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't say I would buy one at that price, but the functionality is important to have available in a standalone STB.

- Mike

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Thanks for the link. I like the fact that Mits continues to embrace FIREWIRE.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
The new PM doesn't appear to be all that different than the Samsung 165 other than Netcommand, HAVi, QAM and 2 analog tuners (none of which are all that important to me). Is there something I'm missing? How is this worth $1000 more than the Samsung?

Jay

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Note - the HD-5000 has been out for a while, as a humble add on to their plasma displays.

They only recently decided to remarket it as the "Promise 2".

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Where is Bruce to explain it really doesn't have DVI/HDCP even though it says it does?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Apparently, the crow is a little tough and might be getting caught on the way down.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
It's not very old news, but it has been announced and discussed elsewhere.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.