AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market soon for a new HD set. I have an analog 4:3 53" Sony now and I love it. But I am ready for a HD set. I have been doing a lot of reading on these 3 formats for rptvs (DLP, LCD and CRT). I will be using the TV for mainly Directv viewing (both regular and HD), OTA viewing (both SD and HD), and gaming (Xbox). I have done a lot of reading on the Mits 525 and I am concerned about the 'tilt' issue though. I really love my Sony now so the Sony LCD is also an option. And finally the RP-CRT sets still look really good at a really good price. So any suggestions, taking into account the 3 viewing criteria I listed above as to which type of set (or model for that matter) would fit me best? Thanks.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There must be some people out there in a similiar situation as myself. All three types of rp tvs are good but with my situtation, there has to be a better choice. Anyone?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a similar setup as you. I have an Xbox, HD cable (Time Warner), and my Dvd player hooked up through component. I purchased the Panasonic 50" LCD because of the number of inputs 4 component, 2 rgb (computer) and of course the hdmi and s-video.... Gaming on this thing is great! (almost a crime to play games on this big a screen) HD looks real nice and of course dvd's look amazing. Of course doing a search on these threads will get you all kinds of pros and cons for every technology. (information overload)

Some like DLP, others LCD, even CRT's etc and any statement you make usually results in a debate on what's better then what, but in all honesty you need to go down and see what fits in your budget and what looks good TO YOU with what YOU'RE going to do with it.

DLP to me looks good but I see shimmering and the image looks really "digitized". Rpcrt's and 4:3 crts are going away in the next few months from what I've been told in place of dlp, lcd, and plasma technology. If you can't beat them you'll have to join them I guess. LCD to me looked the best and this set has all the features I was looking for. This technology grows in leaps and bounds with every new model that comes out so you will always have to play the waiting game to get the newer bigger better deal. But going from a Sony XBR 32" crt to the new HD models really blows away anything I've seen so far. Bottom line is go test drive all the models that interest you and pick the one that you can afford and are happy with the overall image quality. There is no perfect set and the holy grail of these has yet to be found IMHO.

Good luck, and if you have questions regarding at least the Panasonic LCD model I can give you my experience with it.

-R

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
hoops10, I'm in the same situation. I got a great JVC 32" crt tv. Its got some of the best filters and looks great with digital cable and DVDs. Plus its fun to play video games on that with a sweet surround sound. But right now I got the itch to get a 50" tv that can be used for video games, movies and HDTV. After seeing the problems with Samsungs and their poor picture quality and noticing the problems with LCD and the overpriced Plasmas, I'm definately leaning towards the new Mitsubishi 52725

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well like you, I had a 53" Sony 'til the convergence chips died last week. I've been oogling the Samsung DLPs for the last year. But when it came time to buy, I felt the Mits 62525 looked the best (I'm taking the shield off). To me, it had more of a 3D look than any of the others. It had better contrast and better detail.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
robshdtv: Thanks for all the info. I always thought Panasonic was on the lower end of electronics, is your LCD tv a lower-end budget model?

Patrick: Did you end up getting the Mitsu 525? If so, do you see the 'tilt' problem that is so well known? Also, do you ever see rainbows on it?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have the PT50lc14 which many users have here. It by far has the most inputs available then any other rplcd or rpdlp. I always thought Panasonic was so-so and after looking at all the other sets LCD it had if not better the same picture quality as the more expensive models. I've always been a Sony fan but side by side these tv's had the same picture quality to me. The Sony looked a little "softer" and the Panasonic had more inputs. They both have the 3 individual lcd panels for each color and call their screen tweaking different things but it all amounts to the same changes in the end. I like the Sony's looks, and menu's but overall the inputs, pricing, and performance went to the Panny in the end.

Either way as long as you get a set that has little to no bad pixels and you tweak it for your home enviroment you shouldn't go wrong. But if you want to hook up a pc, run your Xbox, HDTV, and a DVD player the Panny is the only tv that will have all your connections onboard. If the Sony had this I might have gone that route. (still might as I've had some power issue's with my Panny but that's a whole other Oprah, mainly a bad batch I think)

-Rob

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A bump here. I am getting really close and I have narrowed the field down to the Mits 525 or 725 and one of the Sony LCD rptvs. Does anyone know how they compare to each other as far as picture quality, OTA tuners, any thing else? Any info comparing these 2 brands would help greatly. Thanks.

·
Registered
16,167 Posts
Hoops,

You cannot choose a TV by "reading" about them. You need to go see for yourself. I might like A better than B, but you might like them in the reverse order - everyone's tastes and preferences are different. For example, many love the Mits, and many hate it due to too much glare. You really need to spend a lot of time in different stores comparing them - then just go with whichever you think looks best. All are excellent brands, so it is just a matter of personal preference in terms of PQ and features most important to you.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BillP, I agree with you 100% when you say that I need to "see for myself." But I also think that doing some research beforehand can save a lot of headaches and money, especially when we are talking about $4k tvs. That is the reason I was trying to get some other people's inputs on these 2 brands.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hoops10,

I think we are on the same quest. I can give you my $0.02 for what it's worth and I would appreciate yours in return from what you have seen. Maybe we can give each other some new insight.

I have been looking and researching here and elsewhere for a couple of months now. I too have narrowed it down to the Mitsu DLP or the Sony Grand Wega LCD RP. I am looking for a unit between >50" and

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I would agree with HDTelevizzle's assessment.

The Mitsu DLP has the better blacks, the Sony has less video noise. I find the detail to be very similar but the Sony is brighter so it looks sharper on a good bit of content.

My take on it is if you watch a lot of bright content... i.e. sports, news, etc. I'd recommend the Sony. If you tend to watch more movies that have more shadow detail I'd lean toward the DLP.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HDTelevizzle, funning you should mention the 55WF as I was checking it out today as a matter of fact. Wow, did I like it a lot. And there is a sweet price on it now at about 3099. I didn't get a chance to see the 55XS955 or even a price for it. Let me know if you can. I looked at the Mits 525 and the Samsung models too. The salesman at BB was creaming all over the Samsung but to be honest, it didn't do anything for me.

The Sony looked great, and that is with a signal in BB that I know has been split who-knows-how many times. Was there that big a difference between the 55WF and the 55XS955? Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My choice came down between the Sammy HLN DLP, and the Panny LCD. Viewing a HD basketball game side by side, I couldn't see much difference between the 2 sets. Sometimes I thought the DLP looked better, and sometimes I thought the LCD looked better. For me it came down to price and quality issues, inputs, and built in tuner.

I read so many threads about Sammy problems, including the one with the poll, where nearly 1/2 had some issue with their Sammy, that I was concerned about their quality control. I saw very few threads with Panny LCD problems. Then when costco got the Panny LCD 63LCX60 in for a good price I bought one. The digital cable built-in tuner has really been a blessing, as I receive several HD stations unscrambled with my basic cable. SD on most channels is even pleasing to watch. I do like Sony products. My last 3 CRT TVs, my AV receiver, VCR, and 2 DVD players were all Sonys, but I'm perfectly happy 6 months later with my decision to buy the Panny LCD.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
A buddy of mine bought a 52725 and he invited me over to check it out today. I didn't notice any video noise on the set watching a clean source... comcast HD, comcast digital and DVD's. Analog comcast channels were noisy. i.e. I think the Mitsu is very accurate.

I was really impressed with the black levels and shadow detail of the set (we were watching some LOTR, Star wars and a few others I didn't know the name of). INHD is pretty darn amazing on this TV.

I think Sony has really good noise filters that do a better job of cleaning up noisy signals. I've noticed this on their plasma's as well... very good colors, very clean picture but other sets have slightly more detail at the expense of more video noise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hoops10,

I am starting to think that the XS I saw was the 60" and not the 55". I know it was an XS but I may be mistaken on the size. I will just have to go back this weekend and look again! Darn. ;) If I don't see it, sorry in advance for jerking you around. I think the salesman told me they have it but not on the floor as the 55" they put out is the WF.

Either way, from what I saw the (60"?) XS addressed most of the difference in color depth between the WF and the Mitsu. Is that alone significant enough for the extra $? Maybe, maybe not. I also like the idea of the advanced video menu on the XS. Give me the options to be a tweak-hound or not and I will be one.

I know Sony just reduced the MSRP on this TV by $300 from what it was when I started looking, so at least in my head the difference isn't that much anymore (blissfully ignoring that the WF probably dropped this much as well). I haven't decided yet completely, but I am leaning XS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.