AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hearing and reading so many great things about the Mits 52525, and the picture at BB was fantastic...except for the unbelievable glare!

Does the 52725 address the glare issue? Is there an effective anti-glare coating on the screen?

It seems that if the glare problem is addressed, the Mits 52725 could be the best DLP out there.

Thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Glare is not a huge issue for me on my 62725. But it is present from one commonly used couch in my viewing room. I am looking forward to removing the shield when my grand daughter gets a little older. I saw a 52725 with the Glare shield removed at my dealer. I think that it would eliminate much of the glare. I also plan on getting the frame when it is available.

No Buyer remorse here either. This thing is awesome.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the 62-525, and with the shield on there is a mirror like glare, without it, it is a non-issue. I am still loking at getting the 725 or the 825 shield and use those instead. For right now, I have removed the shield. And I as well, have NO remorse, this TV kicks..

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the 62525 (got it Fri.). The glare during the day or with lights on at night is pretty bad. So I plan to take the shield off as soon as I find the right stand for it (sitting on the floor for now) -- protection is not an issue for me. I just hope I can get the tilt problem resolved soon. I noticed it almost immediately. It's not overly annoying, but does need to be taken care of.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have a 62725. While the glare is reduced from the 525 series, it isn't eliminated. I ended up taking my shield off due to the fact I have a big window directly behind where I sit in my apartment. I hope to replace it if I buy a house and get out of that situation, but for now I needed to take it off to make it more watchable.

Randy

·
Registered
638 Posts
I got a great deal on the 62525 and I knew I would be removing the shield.

As far as I know, the shield, the on screen guide and the bottom facia are the only differences between the 525 and the 725. But what kind of room wouldn't have a problem with the glare from the 525's shield?

I would like to report back my findings, especially in HD but my installation this weekend was a flop. My source, Samsung SIR-TS360 HD receiver has a "BOOT FAILED" bug. I'm returning my second one today. If you get one from this batch, you can't even get to the first screen. Therefore, I haven't even seen one HD picture on my beautiful tv. BUMMER!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by subwoofer
IFLYSWA, what about closing the blinds or shades? does that help?
It helps some, no doubt, but it is still very bright. Keep in mind I live in an apartment with the usual, standard issue, crappy blinds. If I wanted to concede that I was going to be there for a long time I could look into getting someone to put up some curtains for me, or something like that, but I won't do it. After all, I've only been there three years.... :rolleyes:

Randy

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had a Mits 52725 for two weeks and returned it because of the glare (and rainbow issues). I had the Mits in a regular DEN with windows and lightbulbs and all those DEN things and it drove my wife and myself crazy. We could see everylight bulb and wall paper patern reflections in the glare screen. I would stay away from the Mits unless you have good light control or you don't mind the look of the TV without the glare screen !!

Just my 2 cents worth !!!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dre
I had a Mits 52725 for two weeks and returned it because of the glare (and rainbow issues). I had the Mits in a regular DEN with windows and lightbulbs and all those DEN things and it drove my wife and myself crazy. We could see everylight bulb and wall paper patern reflections in the glare screen. I would stay away from the Mits unless you have good light control or you don't mind the look of the TV without the glare screen
That makes no sense. It can't be that bad cause I was just looking at it at Tweeter and you couldn't see much of a reflection. Plus they had it in a very well lit area (unlike Best Buy)

·
Registered
395 Posts
subwoofer:

It may make no sense to you, but I saw very little glare at the video store and then when I got it home in a REAL environment, it was very noticable !!

I agree with Auditor55, glare would not have been the only reason to get ride of a DLP, the rainbows were a bigger problem !!

I was upset with the representation of a ANTI-GLARE screen and then to get it home and have significant glare, IMO.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dre
subwoofer:

It may make no sense to you, but I saw very little glare at the video store and then when I got it home in a REAL environment, it was very noticable !!

I agree with Auditor55, glare would not have been the only reason to get ride of a DLP, the rainbows were a bigger problem !!

I was upset with the representation of a ANTI-GLARE screen and then to get it home and have significant glare, IMO.
How hard was it to return the item? Did you get a full refund or did you just get a different tv?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have a 62525 and am thinking about trading it in for a 62725 to reduce glare.

My local Sound Advice just put a 52725 on their showroom floor right across from a 52525. I spent about half an hour evaluating the two displays. I came to several conclusions:

I didn't find a "tremendous" difference in glare when looking for reflections in the two screens. I put a chair equidistant from each screen and checked for ceiling light reflections. The 725 reflections seemed less intense that the 525 screen. I think some of this has to do with Sound Advice's technique to lower glare with recessed lighting.

I walked up close (about 6" away) from each screen and noticed that the 525 did reflect much more of my body in the screen than the 725 did. I'm not sure this is relevant when attempting to analyze screen glare, but I think it is.

At this point in time I plan to trade my 62525 in for a new 62725 in a week or two. I think the reflections are improved in the 725 series and the 725 looks a bit better with the black speakers. I'm also concerned that the 525 series Mits might fade away since the TV guide has apparently been removed from the 725 series.

These observations are all from my point of view of course... (i.e., YMMV)

-jb

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fireshoes
I think life will be good for people with glare issues once the trim piece ships. You'll have a nice finished looking set, plus a great picture too.
True, the guy at Tweeter said they are releasing a kit for that operation. But doesn't it reduce the picture quality?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Subwoofer:

My local video store had a 30 day return policy. I did have to pay for the delivery charge to have the new TV brought to my house. You might just want to ask your place of purchase about their return policy before you buy !!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.