AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought a Mits HC3100 new with 2 years warrant for $1100.

As i'm expected for my house to be finished, i asked the shop to delivery the projector only when i have my house ready, so i didnt receive the mits yet, and if i want i probably can exchange it.

With the arrive of new projectors like the new Opthoma HD20 i'm having some doubts about the Mits.

My main sources will be 720p movies, and my top priority is picture quality and projector contruction quality, reliability and durability.

With that in mind, whats your opinion, maintain the mits or exchange for the new budget 1080p units ?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
If you have no intention to jump into Blu Ray and stick with 720p sources (HD cable?), then the Mits 3100 will be a fine choice. However if you do get a Blu Ray player (or start watching more 1080 content) then the extra resolution will certainly be a plus. I had an IN76 (720p DC2 DLP) for about 3 years and recently jumped to a 1080p unit. On a good source the extra resolution is obvious.

The HD20 is a new projector so I can't wholeheartedly recommend it since I don't know it's performance characteristics. The early reports and feedback look very promising. So bottom line if you want to gamble that the Optoma is going throw a nice, accurate picture and plan to go Blu Ray then make the swap. However, if you aren't going to move up to higher resolution source, then the 3100 is a fine unit.

In my opinion, no matter which way you go, I can't imagine not investing in Blu Ray for a projection setup. Nothing will look better on it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your answer.

Right now, i wont have a blu ray player, i dont have the $ to invest on it.

But my main sources will be 720p mkvs.

From what i read, and resolution aside, the Mits HC3100 with its DC3 chip and adaptive Iris, will throw a better PQ than the optoma, in things like color reproduction, black level, less RBE (5x collor well), etc. Also, i suppose the Mits will be more robust and reliable due to his solid build quality.

I'm not an expert, and i based this opinion on several threads i've saw here, so i may be wrong.

So i really would like to know the experts opnions.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
The problem is no expert reviewers have weighed in on the HD20. So you either gamble that the HD20 will be competitive in the aspects you mention or just go with the 3100. Specs are a good thing to consider, but you really need to look at the overall performance of both machines objectively. We can't say for certain that the 3100 will throw a better picture. We'll know more as members get a hold of the HD20 and post reviews. And the pros should have reviews of it in a few weeks.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm no expert but I do have experience with the hc3100, two of them to be exact. The mits throws a fantastic picture right out of the box...colors, contrast, and black level were fantastic.

Unfortunately at around 500 hrs the color wheel went south and I had to pay $170 to ship it back to Japan. Instead of repairing my projector they sent me a brand new unit for which I was thankful. Well, the second unit developed the same problem as the first at around 700 hrs and out of warranty. I ran both projectors at 4x color wheel speed and both failed prematurely...very frustrating experience.

I have no experience with optoma but they in general seem to have their fair share of problems as well.

Good luck with whatever you decide on and like jeahrens said, get yourself a blu ray player.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I had my HC3100 running at 5X speed from the start n no big problem up to now(about 1,000 hours), except with an increase sound of wheel spin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.