AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
15,405 Posts
I had the hc3800, might grab a Viewsonic.

Here is what I know without having YET seen the viewsonic (had the hc3800 for 300 hours before I RMA'd it because of RBE issues - I am sensitive to RBE)

---------

hc3800

---------

*Very High ansi contrat (550:1 or better) - Ansi is said to help with general POP in dark viewing environments

*Average to So-so Native Contrast - No iris means blacks in dark scenes will suffer

*Great picture, very 3Dish, but for those sensitive to RBE might be a deal breaker

----The RBE is about average for DLP's in this price range (Benqs are said to have worse RBE for instance)

*No lens shift, no motorized focus, placement difficulties because of no lens shift, but at least it is lightweight and small

*Extremely sharp image, RAZOR sharp, one of the sharpest projectors ever made (sharpness matters more for HTPC gaming than it does for movies)

*Good motion handling even without CFI

*Decent processing, fairly clean image (but some projectors have slightly less noise)

*Some issues on initial units reported, but Mits RMA is easy to deal with

*Good out-of-the-box color accuracy, fairly easy to calibrate with or without pro calibration tools

-------------------

Viewsonic Pro8100

-------------------

*Suffers from low ANSI Contrast (270:1 or so), probably lacks a bit of the 3D Pop that the hc3800 has (not a deal breaker most likely)

*Poor out-of-the-box color accuracy, very difficult to get close to D65, even with pro calibration tools (this is the one issue that has me on the fence)

*OK Native Contrast, but nothing compared to the ultra-high contrast projectors (Epson 8500ub for instance)

*IRIS is about average after a firmware fix, but should beat the hc3800 black levels in dark scenes (since no IRIS on the hc3800)

*A monster at almost 2 feet wide and very heavy, but does have lens vertical shift to help with mounting (only +- 5% horizontal shift)

*Very Sharp image for an LCD, but the hc3800 should still easily beat it in sharpness

*No RBE since it is LCD

*Lamps might not last as long as the Mits

*Viewsonic Warranty Depts said to be a mixed bag (seems a lot of people get heavily used units shipped back to them at times)

*Seems to have good build quality with not too many units sent back

*A few issues reported with HDMI ports physically breaking and falling into the projector

*Motorized Focus

*Highest quality LENS and best image processor (was originally a $5K projector) -- how much difference the lens makes has yet to be seen

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you liked the motion handling then?? That was the big thing that had me almost to the point of buying an 8500ub at this point. I know my Mits HD1000 doesn't do motion the best.

·
Registered
15,405 Posts
Yes, very much so, another poster commented that the hc3800 has better motion than the hd1000u, it also had better motion than any of the 2+ year old LCD projectors I have seen (including my Z5).

It is a really good projector, and can't beat the Mits warranty as it so easy to deal with compared to Panasonic, Sanyo, and some others.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
I own the 3800 and have seen the VS 8100, the image quality of the 3800 is superior in my opinion (not a direct A/B, going from memory for the 8100).

Jason

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I originally ordered a Mitsu 3800 and had to cancel due to it's difficult placement issues and bought a Pro8100. LCD has come a long way since my last one and the detail, sharpness, and in particular quality and depth of color blow away my previous projector (a Sharpvision XV-Z3000).

They are both excellent choices...

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm a VS8100 owner and I couldn't be happier. If you get a chance to see one you really should. The build quality is really so far ahead of anything in its price range; add in the 3 year warranty (1yr/1000 hrs on the bulb), a 5000hr life on the bulb (eco mode) and the amazing picture quality... its a winner.

I haven't seen a 3800 but I have seen a BenQ W6000 and a Panasonic 4000 and I'd put it against either of those 2 in picture quality (and its far superior in build quality).

·
Registered
15,405 Posts
We would have to see it to know for sure, but I think the lower ANSI contrast is going to give the Viewsonic a knock or two down from the Benq or hc3800 for that 3Dish pop look. I have seen a few projectors lately, and so far the ANSI contrast has been a pretty good indicator of 3D pop. The hc3800 is one of the most 3Dish projectors I've seen as it can hit ANSI contrast over 600:1 in some setups. Too bad I am sensitive to RBE.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
here is a comparision btw the pro8100 and hc3800, btw the pro8100 compared with high end mitsubishi hc 7000 or 6800, the pro8100 beats hc3800 at all terms.

hc-3800:

pro8100:

hc-3800:

pro8100:

hc-3800:

pro8100:

this all images from same screen 1.3 gain ,127" same camera slr olym e-510. from projectorreviews.

this pj its at best deal ever , dont waste time guys , pull the triger before its too late.

the pro8100 is different legue.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
I'm not sure what camera settings settings had been used when PR took the pics(they were taken a year apart), but PR's review of the HC3800 produced (950 lumens in best mode for the 3800 and 629 lumens in best mode for the 8100. That's a huge difference that the pics don't show which lead me to think something is different in the settings. only Art can say for sure.

From PR review of 3800 under performace section (Best Mode)
http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...erformance.php
Quote:
Here's another projector that's extremely bright in its best mode. The HC3800 manages about 950 lumens in it's best mode (Cinema, Medium color temp, Brilliant Color on. That's almost as bright as the more expensive BenQ W6000.

From PR review of Pro8100 under performance section (Best Mode)
http://www.projectorreviews.com/view...erformance.php
Quote:
Cinema Mode, with Color Temp set to Warm1, after adjustment, for best contrast, brightness and color, with lamp on full power, measured a most impressive 629 lumens with the zoom lens in the middle of its range. Interestingly, Cinema also produced the brightest settings when we went hunting for our preferred Brightest mode.

Also PR and projectorcentral both mentioned image noise as a problem with the 8100 and listed the ANSI contrast as 258:1 for the 8100 vs. 600:1 for the HC3800.

I'm just saying I wouldn't buy a projector based on pics. I'd like to see both, and if not possible read lots of reviews by pros and real users to help make an informed decision.

·
Registered
15,405 Posts
Images tell us nothing.

I could make nearly any (2) modern images from any projector look identical from a picture just by calibrating the colors and saturation to the same point. The images are overblown and are not representation of contrast, they are a representation of color saturation (which is inaccurate in those images). If anything, all those images show is a weakness of the 8100 and/or Art's inability to calibrate that projector with the proper color saturation, the difficulty in getting it to D65. They do the same thing at the TV STORES, those images appear to be in torch mode.

We cannot see differing contrast by looking at images on our LCD monitor unless photographic trickery is used or unless the differences are so great that one is just totally washed out, and that's not the case. The hc3800 does not look like those images look, I know because I owned one. Furthermore, an LCD monitor causes a loss of the 3D POP you see on a projector, and our LCD monitors do not have the same three dimensional lighting characteristics that a projector does either.

The 8100 has 270:1 Ansi contrast, sorry but it will not beat the 3800 in this area, the 3800's is more than double. Ansi contrast does matter.

Images mean nothing...

·
Registered
7,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy /forum/post/18251463

Images tell us nothing.

I could make nearly any (2) modern images from any projector look identical from a picture just by calibrating the colors and saturation to the same point. The images are overblown and are not representation of contrast, they are a representation of color saturation (which is inaccurate in those images). We cannot see contrast by images on our LCD monitor unless photographic trickery is used or unless the differences are so great that one is just totally washed out, and that's not the case. The hc3800 does not look like those images look, I know because I owned one.

The 8100 has 270:1 Ansi contrast, sorry but it will not beat the 3800 in this area, the 3800's is more than double. Ansi contrast does matter.

Images mean nothing...

I can't believe it. You and I finally agree
I knew we'd finally see eye to eye on something.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
LOL,

Now that's funny!

Those pics are utterly laughable, from somebody that has seen both units in person (and owns one of them). And yet another perfect example of why nobody should ever base a purchase around screen shots

The 8100 shots... contrast is way too high, as is color and sharpness.

The 3800 shots... far more natural looking and the 3800 is not nearly that soft unless somebody made it that way on purpose.

I'm still roll'n on the floor

Jason

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Jason don't laugh to hard or you're going to throw up
. I was trying to say it in a nice way, because no one would recommend buying a projector based on pics, but you and coderguy didn't pull any punches.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
guys u are just measuring projectors in term of contrast ratio , this is not a business projector for presntations!!!, also new big projectors companies like JVC and SONY found that more ansi ratio the more dergration at color and sharpness because wen one calibrate it decrease the lumnis to achieve best possible 3 color linear equation at d6500k. so most new expensive pjs reduced their lum output for that like the new JVC rs35 a 8000$ price tage with 900lum , 700 at best mode. same for the sony vpl-vw15.

iam not trying here to prove that hc-3800 isnt good but come on guys this pro8100 was supposed to sold at 5000$ not under 1500$. so the company build it with high price target , and now for some fail in marketing resons u can get it for 1250$ its the deal.

DaGamePimp both pjs at 50 sharpness and taken from art at projectorreviews, u know that this guy was testing and calibrating pjs wen u where still playing nintendo, and those images are same as the pro8100 produce so gather ur self up and stop rolling

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Yeah, but Jason has seen them both in action and bought the 3800 saying it's not even close, while you're merely going by pics on the web. You can't buy a projector based on pics and specs. Those are just used to get you interested. After that yo uhave to see it to make a decision. Posting pics and proclaiming the following without seeing them both means nothing:
Quote:
"this pj its at best deal ever , dont waste time guys , pull the triger before its too late.

the pro8100 is different legue."tetelling posting

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
bouda78,

Be careful with your assumptions, we know perfectly well what the VS8100 is.

Sorry but the VS8100 is bested by the Mits 6800 and the Mits 3800 beats the 6800 on just about all counts except absolute black regarding over all image quality.

Now feature set is a whole other topic and there the VS8100 wins, just as most modern day LCD projectors.

If we are talking over all image quality there is no doubt in my mind that the 3800 is superior to the VS8100, this does not mean that the VS8100 is not a fine unit, it most certainly is and at the current street price it's a great deal.

Jason

·
Registered
15,405 Posts
A lot of it is just personal preference. We don't doubt the Pro8100 has some strengths over anything else under $2,000 (Reon processing, high-end Lens, sharper than most LCD's), but it also has some weaknesses (lower ansi, average ON/OFF, average black levels, average IRIS at best, extremely big, hard to calibrate)...

The Pro8100 looks like potentially one of the better deals for under $1,800 if you go for LCD, but there are several weaknesses that I mentioned in my first posts.

DLP seems to be the better deal right now if you are not senstiive to RBE such as I am.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
well jason i noticed that all are not taking those reliable images into the account so lets put it that way.

the pro8100 is fully motorized , horizontal 120% (± 10%/side), vertical 250% (± 75%/side) and foucs, the 3800 dosnt

the pro8100 have no rainbow effect , so far the 3800 have.

the pro8100 have reon video processing with hollywood quality video process the hc3800 dont.

the pro8100 have a classy piano black look and a titanum remote the 3800 dont .

the pro8100 can do 120Hz for 3D the 3800 ofcourse cant.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/pr...rs/pro8100.htm

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
bouda78,

As I said... feature set

I see where this is going and I am not going to argue, it's obvious purchase justification here and it's great that people are happy with the VS8100 but at the end of the day the 3800 offers better IQ, plain and simple.

Regards,

Jason

1 - 20 of 124 Posts