AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless I missed it, I didn't see a thread of this "Battle of the sub-$2000 heavyweights".

I know, I left out a bunch of other contenders (Sharp, Optoma, etc.)

I know one is 1000 bucks more than the other (Panny)

One has a lot more flexability in placement (Panny)

One is DLP (Mits) and one is LCD (Panny)

They're so different...

YET these two have something in common:

Some of the best reviews on PJcentral and PJreviews.

And most people rave about them.

But there have been dissenters too:

Some Panny users have had red and blue bars appear on the left and right side, sometimes only over the test pattern, sometimes in actual play...

Some Mits users have seen banding, others have seen rainbows...

I was curious about people who have seen both in person and what their verdicts were.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ive been doing a ton of research on these and as near as I can tell, the Panasonic is the better projector. Its really really bright, has great color and is really versitile. The HD1000 seems awesome to at the price, but not quite as good as the panny. I am ordering the panny on thursday actually from Costco. I have read quite a bit of bad things about it, which is why Im going to get it at costco so I can return it if it has a problem, but I just want the brightness and power is has. I have never seen either of them in person this is just based on my hours and hours of research. I have read threads with negative things and problems on nearly every projector out there so once you realize no matter what piece of electronic equipment you buy you risk having a bad apple, then you just pick your poison and cross your fingers. I could not find a projecter at the same price as the panny that got as good of reviews or response so it shall be mine... hope that helped.

·
Registered
556 Posts
From what I read here it all comes down to flexibility we have with out setup.

For me, I need vertical stretch for CIH screen, so AX100 wins here.

I have a HIGH POWER screen so need longer throw and installation flexibility. AX100 has it.

I am going for a 138" wide screen and need AX100's lumens.

If I was doing 110" or less 16:9 screen with less than 1.4 gain I think I will get Mits.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Quite a compliment. Comparing a $900 projector to a $1800 projector. Why would anyone spend twice as much for the small difference in performance? Couldn't be black level. The 1000 beats it when there is ANY light in the image. Read Art's review and that will give you a good comparison and answer any doubt about the validity of the HD 1000 as the best buy. It is one of two projectors awarded the EDITOR'S CHOICE by Projector Central. The other one is the Panny 1000 which is more than 4 times the price of the Mits!!

If you need the flexibility of mounting a projector you get the pleasure of paying about $900 for that feature which is worth it if you need it.

I have been watching the Mits on a 110 Silverstar screen and it is magnificent. Have not seen any RB. Black level and detail are something to behold. I especially like the feature that allows one the ability to adjust the SETUP to AUTO, OFF, 3.5 OR 7.5. Really a lot of flexibility to dial in the black levels. The skin tones are right on with the MIts. I find minor adjustments to OTB settings produces an image that is very satisfying. As a matter of fact, I could easily live with the OTB settings. And the Mits is very sharp. The zoom and focus controls are some of the best I have seen. BTW the HD 70 has the worse focus/zoom controls.

Mits has truly hit a home run with the HD 1000.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcewin /forum/post/0

Quite a compliment. Comparing a $900 projector to a $1800 projector. Why would anyone spend twice as much for the small difference in performance? Couldn't be black level. The 1000 beats it when there is ANY light in the image. Read Art's review and that will give you a good comparison and answer any doubt about the validity of the HD 1000 as the best buy. It is one of two projectors awarded the EDITOR'S CHOICE by Projector Central. The other one is the Panny 1000 which is more than 4 times the price of the Mits!!

If you need the flexibility of mounting a projector you get the pleasure of paying about $900 for that feature which is worth it if you need it.

I have been watching the Mits on a 110 Silverstar screen and it is magnificent. Have not seen any RB. Black level and detail are something to behold. I especially like the feature that allows one the ability to adjust the SETUP to AUTO, OFF, 3.5 OR 7.5. Really a lot of flexibility to dial in the black levels. The skin tones are right on with the MIts. I find minor adjustments to OTB settings produces an image that is very satisfying. As a matter of fact, I could easily live with the OTB settings. And the Mits is very sharp. The zoom and focus controls are some of the best I have seen. BTW the HD 70 has the worse focus/zoom controls.

Mits has truly hit a home run with the HD 1000.

I couldn't agree more. It's almost stealing getting an image that looks this good at that kind of price. Because I'm shelf mounting at about 4' high I could've used the lens shift feature but not at double the price. Still looks amazing with some tilting and keystone correction. And that's watching it on my light gray draper luma 2 screen. I have an XFS black flame screen on the way. Can't wait to get that puppy on the wall and blast it with the HD1000U.

·
Registered
384 Posts
No question the Mits is a great projector. I watched at my local shop and definately think highly of it. I went with the Panny because I like to sit really close to the screen and the installation flexibility (since it's my first projector) was a definate factor. Costco's return policy sold it for me. I put it up last night and couldn't be happier. Mated with a Carada 118" BW, it's a super combo.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the thoughts and like I said, these two have a big gap in proce, but certainly not in quality of image or fans touting their supremacy. I have read good and bad about the Panny from others and am happy to hear form Mits users. 2 questions for them: Rainbows at all? I am pretty new to all of the pj stuff and recently saw a 2x, 4 color wheel model in action and hated it, it was rainbows galore, headache, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I am aware the newer DLPs that have 6 color and are 4x vastly reduce if not eliminate that problem, and I think this Mits is 7 color 4x. Even though I'm wary that I'm one of those people who can see more rainbows than others, I think that the 2x 4 color wheel ruined it for me and as INSANE as it sounds, I cannot find a dealer in LOS ANGELES who has either the Mits or the Panny to show me. L.A., Hollywood where the movies are made???? Sorry about the tirade...I digress to question 2 for Mits owners, regarding placement and noise. I will for the time being, be shooting the image to a screen that rises, yes rises from the floor and the projector WILL NOT be ciling mounted, but on a table on the floor. There is a 30 inch rise (of black material) before the bottom of the screen, and the screen is 100 dia. So, again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that would mean that if I am projecting from a table, and the screen starts 30 inches up, the center of the lens would have to be aout 13 1/2-14 1/2 inches off the floor, yes? And taking into consideration of my having the projector not up and out of the way, but closer on a table, how loud do you think I will feel it is, and do you think that is a problem? Also I should say that the room has some ambient light, but I will be installing black out shades that take care of most of that, the screen is white and I will be watching reg TV and sports, not just movies...I'm thinking it's bright enough, but hear raves about brightness on the Panny too. Lastly guys, there's that great benefit of the Panny...and that's Costco...ah, Costco -- the indicisive one's trump card. Keep the item for six month and then bring it back. Insane. I've never done that but so many have. And nudging me in that direction is my overall personality--my girlfriend is currently engraving a trophy for "most indicisive in the world". Sorry boys, the title is mine...So, at the end of the day, I take in more info and I'm still here, er nowhere...HELP.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I'm a HD1000u owner, but there are lots of instances when I can see people buying the Panny over the Mits. Day-time watching, wanting huge immersion (smoothscreen counters SDE), having specific installation needs that only the panny can meet (like say 120" and bigger screen with only 8' ceilings). Or just having a $10,000 theater and not wanting to 'cheap out' on a $900 projector. The Panny has advantages, and I wouldn't deride anyone for purchasing it, but yes the Mits is the value champ of all time as far as I'm concerned

·
Registered
26 Posts
I currently own a Panasonic PT-AE500 and I'm looking to upgrade, but find myself facing a tough choice between these two projectors. Until recently, I thought it was going to be a no brainer decision to go with the PT-AX100. That is until I read about the Mits.

The real selling point for me to upgrade is lens shift and lumens. I'm very happy with the PQ of the 500, so any improvements here is icing.

First, lens shift. The 500 doesn't have it and I have to use some keystone to square the image. I hate keystone, not because the image suffers too much, but because it doesn't change the light path and you still have stray light outside of the corrected image.

Second, lumens. With 2500 hrs on my bulb, I'm sure both of these projectors will burn my eyes. This is sort of a toss up, but it sounds like the Panasonic is slightly better here.

Now, for $900 I could probably live w/o lens shift as I like money and can't justify the price difference on that alone. But here is the kicker; I returned an X1 because of the dreaded rainbows. I mean they were BAD, everyone who watched it saw them. Until the X1, I hade never noticed them on other DLP projectors at work. Now, if someone is using DLP in a meeting, I see them right away. I hate it.

The only reason I'm even considering the Mits is the 2x vs 4x color wheel. The X1 was 2x and supposedly 4x makes a big difference. I can't say for certain I've ever seen a 4x projector.

Has anyone out there who had very noticeable rainbow problems with 2x been cured by going to 4x? This is the question I need to answer.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John, sounds like you and I are in the same boat, except you are not on your 1st pj, and this is all relatively new to me. Though insanely (as I said) I haven't and can't see either of these 2 pjs in question in person, I did look at a sharp dt500 yesterday, which has a 4x 6 color whel and the rainbows were nearly non existant, I really had to try to find them, and even then I think I saw it twice in 20 minutes of viewing. later in the day I saw a 2x 4 color wheeled optoma and it was rainbow city. Ausdaddy: you said you looked at the mits at a local shop, before finally going with the panny at costco. when you looked at the mits, how was it for rainbows and do you usually notice them? also, how was the SDE on the mits? thanks!

·
Registered
857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW999 /forum/post/0

I appreciate the thoughts and like I said, these two have a big gap in proce, but certainly not in quality of image or fans touting their supremacy. I have read good and bad about the Panny from others and am happy to hear form Mits users. 2 questions for them: Rainbows at all? I am pretty new to all of the pj stuff and recently saw a 2x, 4 color wheel model in action and hated it, it was rainbows galore, headache, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I am aware the newer DLPs that have 6 color and are 4x vastly reduce if not eliminate that problem, and I think this Mits is 7 color 4x. Even though I'm wary that I'm one of those people who can see more rainbows than others, I think that the 2x 4 color wheel ruined it for me and as INSANE as it sounds, I cannot find a dealer in LOS ANGELES who has either the Mits or the Panny to show me. L.A., Hollywood where the movies are made???? Sorry about the tirade...I digress to question 2 for Mits owners, regarding placement and noise. I will for the time being, be shooting the image to a screen that rises, yes rises from the floor and the projector WILL NOT be ciling mounted, but on a table on the floor. There is a 30 inch rise (of black material) before the bottom of the screen, and the screen is 100 dia. So, again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that would mean that if I am projecting from a table, and the screen starts 30 inches up, the center of the lens would have to be aout 13 1/2-14 1/2 inches off the floor, yes? And taking into consideration of my having the projector not up and out of the way, but closer on a table, how loud do you think I will feel it is, and do you think that is a problem? Also I should say that the room has some ambient light, but I will be installing black out shades that take care of most of that, the screen is white and I will be watching reg TV and sports, not just movies...I'm thinking it's bright enough, but hear raves about brightness on the Panny too. Lastly guys, there's that great benefit of the Panny...and that's Costco...ah, Costco -- the indicisive one's trump card. Keep the item for six month and then bring it back. Insane. I've never done that but so many have. And nudging me in that direction is my overall personality--my girlfriend is currently engraving a trophy for "most indicisive in the world". Sorry boys, the title is mine...So, at the end of the day, I take in more info and I'm still here, er nowhere...HELP.

After reading your followup questions, I think you would be happier with the Panny. Doesn't have anything to do with quality or price but your indecisiveness and the security of buying from Costco. BTW add another $200 difference for taxes and shipping if you buy from Costco.

As far as answering your queries. There are fewer rainbows with the Mits than I have with my 2x NEC. But I am not bothered by either. If you are sensitive to the rb effect, you probably should stay away from the DLP.

As for noise. In the low mode I currently have the Mits sitting on a stool between two recliners and the noise level is ok. Occasionally I do hear it however. Not annoying nor distracting. The stool is 15" high and the bottom of my screen is at 34". Oh yes the screen is 110". This setup works perfectly, but I am mounting on the ceiling later with a Chief mount.

As for light. I have two 6 ft X 3 ft windows covered with drapes with blackout liners. Works very well and almost makes it totally dark in the daytime. The Mits lumens on low with the sports setting is very bright!! Even in the cinema mode which is the best mode, movies look very bright with low lamp setting. I can not imagine anyone needing the standard lamp setting which is high. I might add that I like watching sports with a lamp on low and the Mits dose this in an outstanding fashion.

I could never justify paying $1000 more for the Panny. I have never seen the Panny but from the professional reviews I have read the differences are marginal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmcewin: thanks for the post -- these are the people and the info I need...to hopefully push me into a choice! As far as the Panny at Costco, shipping is actually included, but with the tax, it's 2100 and change, (then the 200 rebate, as long as I decide by March 31) but still more than I've seen it for. I've seen it as low as 1845 including 8-10 day free shipping and no tax, plus the rebate, but no security like costco. hm, your current set-up sounds very much like the one I will have. I'm guessing you're about 13ish feet away? any SDE? thanks!

·
Registered
857 Posts

Quote:

hmcewin: thanks for the post -- these are the people and the info I need...to hopefully push me into a choice! As far as the Panny at Costco, shipping is actually included, but with the tax, it's 2100 and change, (then the 200 rebate, as long as I decide by March 31) but still more than I've seen it for. I've seen it as low as 1845 including 8-10 day free shipping and no tax, plus the rebate, but no security like costco. hm, your current set-up sounds very much like the one I will have. I'm guessing you're about 13ish feet away? any SDE? thanks!

Room is 15'x22' with front wall painted flat black where the SS screen is mounted. The other walls are beige since I use the space for a travel agency office and use the system for showing travel videos. You want to get a client's attention just put up a demo dvd showing how much fun they can have on a ship or a beach in Cancun. The projector is at about 13.5 ft and the main seating is 15 ft and I see no sde. I have a sofa against the long wall at about 10 ft and see no sde.

You are welcome. Happy to answer any questions about my system.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS /forum/post/0

But here is the kicker; I returned an X1 because of the dreaded rainbows. I mean they were BAD, everyone who watched it saw them.

So weird. I had the exact opposite experience with my old X1. No one noticed them unless I told them how to see them. I can only see them if I dart my eyes. No one notices them on my 4805 either.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTyson /forum/post/0

So weird. I had the exact opposite experience with my old X1. No one noticed them unless I told them how to see them. I can only see them if I dart my eyes. No one notices them on my 4805 either.

Same here, I've never noticed any rainbows on my 4805.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:

John, sounds like you and I are in the same boat, except you are not on your 1st pj, and this is all relatively new to me. Though insanely (as I said) I haven't and can't see either of these 2 pjs in question in person, I did look at a sharp dt500 yesterday, which has a 4x 6 color whel and the rainbows were nearly non existant, I really had to try to find them, and even then I think I saw it twice in 20 minutes of viewing. later in the day I saw a 2x 4 color wheeled optoma and it was rainbow city. Ausdaddy: you said you looked at the mits at a local shop, before finally going with the panny at costco. when you looked at the mits, how was it for rainbows and do you usually notice them? also, how was the SDE on the mits? thanks!

This probably won't help much, but I did not notice any Rainbows. To be honest, I've never seen them. SDE was better than expected, but the screen was only 92". If it had been larger, I would have seen it. I thought it was a solid value. Definately some serious bang for the buck.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm torn between these two projectors as well since I'm needing to upgrade from an Optoma H31. I've watched three movies on the Panasonic: The Thing (HD-DVD), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (HD-DVD) and Over the Hedge (DVD). All looked fantastic. I thought the smoothness of the screen was very film-like. I find the iris sort of distracting, though. Brightness was fine on a 106" screen. This was at my friend's theater. He replaced a 4805 with the Panny. I know I'd be happy with that PJ. My screen is 126" so I would prefer something bright, which both the Mits and the Panny have.

A part of me wants to stay with DLP though. With the Panny it seems like there's sort of a haze over the screen that DLP lacks. I don't know how to explain it, even though it's still a sharp picture. If the Mits can approach the film like look of the Panny for half the price then that's the way to go for me. But the AX100 is still very impressive, and it's the first LCD projector I've seen after owning an X1 and H31 for a few years now. It's a very tough decision, and mostly based on price for me with probably a little bit of a bias toward DLP (though I'm less biased now after actually seeing an LCD in action).

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly13 /forum/post/0

I'm a HD1000u owner, but there are lots of instances when I can see people buying the Panny over the Mits. Day-time watching, wanting huge immersion (smoothscreen counters SDE), having specific installation needs that only the panny can meet (like say 120" and bigger screen with only 8' ceilings). Or just having a $10,000 theater and not wanting to 'cheap out' on a $900 projector. The Panny has advantages, and I wouldn't deride anyone for purchasing it, but yes the Mits is the value champ of all time as far as I'm concerned

Great, you finally got yours .

What do you think of it so far? What kind of connections and sources are you using?

Glad to see you got it, I know you've been waiting awhile.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaxx /forum/post/0

Great, you finally got yours .

What do you think of it so far? What kind of connections and sources are you using?

Glad to see you got it, I know you've been waiting awhile.

Well, yes and no. I've bought one, but I won't get it till the end of the month. Living abroad I'm waiting for some friends to bring it to me (along with my HDMI cable, A2 and modest library of 28 HD-DVD movies). I'll post my reviews and thoughts once I have some

Alex

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
John and AW999: here is another data point. I started with a panny ae100, then a 2X DLP BenQ 6200, and now a Sony HS51. The BenQ was RBE city. However, the last several years, I've seen the BenQ 8700+ (rbgrbg and 5x), Infocus IN76 (RBGRBG and 4X), both were mcuh better than the 6200. However, I still see RB, but they do not bother me as much. One difference between LCD and DLP, with the former my eyes don't seem to get tired after a long movie, like LOTR.

BTW, my wife was even more prone to RBE; she picked up the rb on the IN76 initially and then the freqeuncy just increased as time goes by.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.