AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While in 1080 mode, the closed caption feature does not work. Is this normal for all STB's or just the Mits? It's not a huge deal, I just like the CC on when muted. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Closed captioning is a feature of the display device, not the STB. Most, if not all, HDTV's do not support closed captioning through the component or RGB inputs (I know this is true of my Toshiba).

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
This is the third blame the brand & model of an STB story.

I assume you may be looking at HBO HD. If you notice at the beginning of each HBO show it says CC not provided on HD channel.

This is a broader issue about ASTC standards and implementation, but please blame the content provider or content vendor if it happens to be the case.

Tim

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
It's not just an issue of the content. Yes, some HD content is not closed captioned (HBO-HD and SHO-HD), but even in the cases when it is (like in OTA-HD channels and regular DTV) the TV still won't display it if you're using the HD inputs (RGB or component). You know the CC information is there because you can view it in SD mode through the s-video or composite inputs, but not through the HD inputs. Again, it's a display device issue.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks vruiz for your comments. Rudolpht - Since I don't own every single HD receiver on the market, and only the Mits HD-5, I was simply asking wither the lack of closed caption in 1080 was normal or unique to the Mits. I do like this receiver and have had no major issues with it all. And actually, I was not talking about HBO-HD, just normal OTA in 1080 mode, since I watch everything in this mode. It's still no big deal, just a question. Your right about it being an ASTC implementation issue though, no closed caption in HD is a major problem that is sure to cause trouble later on, or now if you are a hearing impaired individual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.