AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced my old Runco with a HD Mitsubishi....so I need some advice with the new hook-up.

My old set-up consisted of (5) BNC connectors, trigger cable, power and some Cat5 (just in case) running some 20' from the Runco processor to the Runco projector.

Now, with the new Mitsubishi, I don't have connectors on the projector for BNC ... just HDMI , computer, component & S video inputs, etc.

Can I use my big (expensive!) BNC cable w/ adapters to tie into the component connectors (if yes, how? which colors?) or should I just sink more money into a new reciever because my Sony receiver doesn't have HDMI or I would just run that.

Also, my old trigger cord from the Runco processor to trigger the screen was a telephone line, so I went and bought a 25' 1/8" stereo/mono cord with coupling to run to the projector with now. Will that work, I assume?

I'm on the waiting list to get a true HD cable box from Time Warner so I'm not even set-up with an HD signal, but I want to do what I need to do up front to be prepared......

Any other thoughts or concerns?! Thanks a bunch!

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUkornball /forum/post/0

Can I use my big (expensive!) BNC cable w/ adapters to tie into the component connectors (if yes, how? which colors?) or should I just sink more money into a new reciever because my Sony receiver doesn't have HDMI or I would just run that.

There's certainly no need to purchase a new receiver. Yes, you should be able to use the BNC connectors with adaptors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BM ...

Dumb question probably: The BNC connectors (5) have red, blue, green, yellow & white to the projector - while the projector has component inputs of red, blue, green and a video in that's yellow.

Do I simply just plug in the 4 matching colors and tuck the white back into the ceiling?

·
Registered
857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUkornball /forum/post/0

Thanks BM ...

Dumb question probably: The BNC connectors (5) have red, blue, green, yellow & white to the projector - while the projector has component inputs of red, blue, green and a video in that's yellow.

Do I simply just plug in the 4 matching colors and tuck the white back into the ceiling?

If your sources (Cable box, DVD etc) are Component and you have component switching on your Sony, I would just use the R, G. B. monitor out of Sony and run it to the component input of the new dig. projector. You would not need to use the composit.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Your "telephone cable" from the Runco processor is what made Runco PJ work. The brains of Runco PJ are in the control box not the display box. It is doubtful you will be able to get the box to work on another display - though you certainly can try. Your Runco PJ has greater value sold with it's control box - pretty much useless without it. Should have sold both together - then you can buy a good aftermarket scaler to replace it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
krasmuzik-

I have already boxed the Runco pj and it's processor/scaler up for "auction"....

went with the new HD Mitsubishi and tieing it straight into my Sony STR-DB930 receiver now....

thus the re-wiring questions.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Based on my recollection of a friend's Runco CRT projector, the 5 cables are called RGBHV where the H and V are for horizontal and vertical sync. I'd think you could add RCA adapters at both ends of the RGB cables for compatibility with most current gear. Just leave the HV cables unused. You might want to compare the cost of 6 adapters to a new 20 foot RGB component cable...

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Yes RCA 2 BNC is your best option that will work with most sources - use the H or V as composite just in case you hook up a VCR or old game machine. Hook the YPbPr up to the GBR cables to keep your connections straight.

I don't know details of Mitsu screen trigger port - or if it even has one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.