AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow - never would have believed it, but I installed the laptop cooling fan the other day under my Mits HD5 STB and magic - cool as a cucumber, AND the reception on my local digital stations is totally clear and perfect. Plus only a little bit of the wavy lines on green & red backgrounds.

I know others in Kansas City are jealous, but now I can watch WDAF-DT (Fox-480P), KCTV-DT (CBS-480i), KMBC-DT (ABC-720P), KCWE-DT (UPN), and KSMO-DT (WB) - and all are clear, very little pixelization. I still can't get KCPT-DT (PBS), but since I seldom if ever, watch it - there's no issue.

BTW - the RS antenna is still in the attic and all is well.

Happy in KC (now that I can watch it all - I'm wishing for a more aggressive stance on HDTV from the local stations!!....oh yeah, that'll happen...)

The moral of the story - if you've got a Mits or Hughes STB....GET A FAN (now).

Kendal

·
Registered
924 Posts
Ditto for the DST3000 toshiba, cooling fan showed improvement with breakups, it was very hot and now it is nice and cool.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See the link to another thread -

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=menus

I bought the "Notebook Cooler" - it's all plastic, has three fans inside, an on/off switch and three (very bright) indicator lights on the front - an AC adapter (very important as you'll see if you read the thread)....and no, it's not noisy (check out the db level on the fans before you buy).

Mine is installed inside a cabinet, I just sit the STB on top of the fan. I just turn the fan on a few minutes before the STB so it cools down, and so far, it works like a charm. I don't think these fans are ready / heavy duty enuf for 24/7 operation.

Good luck and Happy Cooling !!

Kendal

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have one of these also, however, I run mine 24/7.

As hot as these units get, I just can't see letting them heat up and then cool down repeatedly. I changed out the "wall wart" and I am using a 9 volt supply, that seem to cut down the noise a bit. I started to have a noise problem the other day, I just cleaned out the fans with a can of compressed air, (damn dust) and it seems fine...

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sounds great.

Remember the heat is due to the power supply to transform the voltage lower for the LNB's.

Does anyone use the STB without the dish?

If so, how hot does it get?

I also found that if you are away for a few days, it is best to turn it off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.