AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone clearly articulate the benefits of the Diamond series Mitsubishi's over the Platinum and Platinum+?

After much deliberation we've chosen Mitsubishi over Sony and Pioneer. Mainly for value and flexibility. I had intended to purchase the WS55807, but have had more than one instance where I've been steered to the WS55907. While I can read the spec's, the justification for the $1600 premium of the Diamond still isn't clear to me. Having seen all three of the 55" offerings, I frankly couldn't differentiate the picture quality.

Experience and input appreciated. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by DenVogel (edited 05-17-2001).]

·
Registered
754 Posts
I may be something of an idiot... but the Diamond series has a bunch of neat thingies in it...

the end result?

I think the picture looks a bit better (color saturation)

This could be COMPLETELY due to the in-store setup of the two TV's... I have a Mitsubishi 46805... and I can't seem to get the picture to look quite like the 55" Diamond Series at my local video rental place.

Also... this may only be a big deal for me, because I'm a weirdo... but the finish of the Diamond series is much nicer looking than that of the Platinum series. The flat black plastic is cheesy. (I don't even know if they still do the pretty shiny finish on the Diamonds... but on the 05's they did.)

·
Registered
754 Posts
correction...

after thinking about the TV at the video store I go to...

it's a 50" 4:3, so I do believe that would make it a 50903.

Either way... much credit to a local video store displaying an HDTV... and information on where to purchase it.

If you're curious... it's a store called Video Vault, in Indianapolis... located on 86th and Nora.

They also have a great DVD selection.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am not sure but the diamond series may have a better line doubler. The other thing to compare is not how the HD signal looks between them because they are likely the same but does the Diamond series display regular signals better? Those things may be the best thing to look at.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The only difference between the Diamond series and the Platinum series is the cabinet and speaker size. The Diamond series has a piano style finish which is polished where as the Platinum is flat black. The speaker of the Diamond on the 55" is 6 inches, with the Platinum it's 5 inches. The crt size are exactly the same. The multi-coated lense system are different from each other. The DIAMOND series has a Tru-focus 5 element hybrid. The Platinum plus series has a EDF-5 element hybrid. But to be honest with you I also didn't see much difference with picture quality. I also have a Mitsubishi Platinum Plus ws-55857. And with speaker size for me that doesnot really affect because when watching movies Dvd or Hidef my a/v reciever is on.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
136 Posts
Also forgot to inform you that DIAMOND 55" height is 51 5/8", width is 49 7/8", depth is 28 1/4". The Platinum plus 55" has height is 52", width is 50 3/4", depth is 28 1/4".

So the Platinum plus has a wider screen.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
136 Posts
Kid Digital,

I'm sorry but the Platinum plus finish is not cheesy.

And is definitely not plastic. It's Black diamond grey satin. Inotherwords it's wood with black-grey finish.

Where in the Diamond series has a high gloss burl.

------------------

PeterDz

·
Registered
754 Posts
Sorry Peter, for excluding Platinum Plus...

I wasn't referring to Platinum Plus when I said the finish is cheesy, I was referring to the Platinum series...

and of the Platinum series, I was just referring to the 46805/807... the piece of plastic on the front looks cheesy to me. It's only an opinion... which doesn't count for much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.