AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to this excellent Twice article , Mitsubishi "has officially changed its objection to the Federal Communications Commission’s DTV tuner mandate" and they "do now support the FCC’s digital mandate".

Additionally they say, "... because the digital cable agreement appears to be nearing government adoption, Mitsubishi has ended its moratorium on the use of Digital Visual Interface (DVI-HDCP) inputs, and is including them on most models in the 2003-04 line."

·
Registered
760 Posts
How will Mitsubishi add MonitorLink (DVI/HDCP) to the Promise Module?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Technically adding it is not difficult. The parts are cheap compared to everything else that is in the PM. But getting a new version out and dealing with those that purchased the 1st version, now that may be a problem.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MattJ
Technically adding it is not difficult. The parts are cheap compared to everything else that is in the PM. But getting a new version out and dealing with those that purchased the 1st version, now that may be a problem.
There will be no problem as long as original Promise Module owners get the update for NO or MINIMAL cost (ie less than ~$100).

It should be free since DVI should have been included in the first place on a $1000 DTV receiver. Mitsubishi KNEW when they released the Promise Module in Jan 2003 that their new line was going to have DVI on all sets but released the PM anyway without DVI. Then they sent out postcards to try to get as many people as possible to buy the unit before a March 31 deadline or face a supposed price increase and limited availability. Toatal BS. They knew that the minute the new line was released including DVI no one would buy a Promise Module without DVI. They even went through the trouble of disguising the type of input by calling it MonitorLink rather than DVI to help buy some time before people realized exactly what was going on.

Mike aka Hot

Have you heard from Mitsubishi? I have still not received an e-mail response to my original e-mail last week.

Things can get pretty ugly if Mitsubishi doesn't take the high road on this.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I still am confused by all this, what happens to those of us that bought an Integrated Mits HDTV? Is it technically possible to add a DVI input? Will this new "STB" they announced allow integrated RPTV owners to somehow convert from DVI to 1394?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UroDoc

Mike aka Hot

Have you heard from Mitsubishi? I have still not received an e-mail response to my original e-mail last week.

Things can get pretty ugly if Mitsubishi doesn't take the high road on this.
No response yet. Today I called Robert A. Perry, Vice-President Marketing at Mitsubishi and also sent him an email. His email is [email protected] and his phone number is through the Mitsubishi switchboards 949-465-6000 ask for Robert Perry.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
For the 200 or so people that actually have received Promise Modules so far, I am figuring Mitsubishi can afford to handle the upgrades.

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
For the 200 or so people that actually have received Promise Modules so far, I am figuring Mitsubishi can afford to handle the upgrades.
Mark,

I would actually expect that number to be greater based on what one local service company has told me about their activity with PM installs. We here only represent a small segment of owners.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
An e-mail posted on the PM thread from Bob Perry specifically states that the PM will *not* be upgraded to support DVI or DVI/HDCP. Actually, assuming the e-mail is real, I thought it was pretty fair on the whole Firewire/DVI issue and suggests a more mature view of the world than Mits previously held.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I may be in the minority on this but I think that Robert Perry's e-mail response concerning the "Promise Module" and non-upgradeability to DVI is pure BS.

We all know what the exact terminally of the 2000-2001 "Promise" is since its on the web and in our manuals. However that was made over TWO YEARS ago!!! They did not deliver a unit several months later but TWO YEARS later. DVI was around ONE YEAR ago and I questioned them in February, May, June and December 2002 about it. Repeatedly they said they would never support DVI.

For Mitsubishi NOT to include an add-in slot or universal adapter slot to cover the uncertainty about connector types, if they were not going to include DVI, so that DVI could be added later, is PURE STUPIDITY from an engineering's and marketing standpoint!!!! Would you buy a computer today that was limited by design specifications, chips etc from TWO YEARS AGO???? Of course not! You expect it to be CURRENT!!! They KNEW over a year ago that DVI would have to be addressed and they simply refused to change their design to keep current with current technologies. Would you expect them to use a 2 year old tuner design and circuits because that was what was available when they originally made the "Promise". Of course not!!! You expect the latest generation.If they had delivered on their "Promise" in 4-6 months they would have been current if DVI was not included. Not so after TWO YEARS! Since HDTV connectors have been in constant flux with component, VGA, BNC, RCA, IEEE 1394, DVI etc ,to build a $1000 HDTV upgrade module that has NO design capability to adapt to a constantly changing market, is JUST INCOMPREHENSIBLE!

For Robert Perry to state that the Promise Module would not be changed or upgraded because it included everything that was specified in the "Promise" is PURE ARROGANCE!! Perhaps he should be reminded of all of his statements where he and other company representatives repeatedly stated that DVI would not be supported by Mitsubishi. Not supported--- that is until the company changes its mind and makes a complete reversal of position!!!! If the Mitsubishi can ignore all all of its prior statements against DVI and now embrace it, they can certainly change the terms of the "Promise" and include DVI in the Promise Module.

BTW One of the forum readers had indicated that the wording of the "Promise" for his TV (I think 1999-2000 line) did NOT specifically indicate what components would be included in the Promise Module, only something to the effect of current equipment. That would certainly include DVI.

I still have not heard back from Mitsubishi on my e-mail last week concerning this issue.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
What do you think the total number of PM owners is? I mean it *has* to be small. Most people don't even know it exists, most people don't care and -- even among those who find it useful and important -- the cost is high, the immediate benefit limited, the installation somewhat burdensome, et al.

I'm not criticizing the product, I just bet there are very few in use so far. Do you have a guess as to the count?

mark

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Prices of HDTV monitors are coming down. It seems by the time this is really needed you might be able to buy a whole new set for not much more than the price of the promise module.

- Tom

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.