AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the manual for my Mits SR-HD5 receiver and it appears to suggest that I should be able to connect my cable TV into it and the receiver will download the directory listing for my cable channels and display them along with my DirecTV listings.

I tried doing this yesterday afternoon. I ended up losing my DirecTV listings *and* channels. I did get the cable channels listed, but they are just generically named "Cable 1", "Cable 2", etc, and the directory info is merely "Regular Schedule". But, even if I punch in a DirecTV channel number, I get no picture - just a message that says something like "channel not available".

I just got off the phone with Mitsubishi tech support and the guy told me I would need a second output from the receiver to the TV for the cable channels. He said because the cable wasn't an "over the air" signal like from the satellite dish or a TV antenna it couldn't be "combined" with the satellite signal. He said that is why I can only view my cable channels now. I did not get the impression that he knew what he was talking about, however. Unfortunately, I'm not at home near the TV right now so I had to take his word for it and wait until I get home to test his theory.

I was hoping for a complete integration of the two signals so that my directory listing would include both satellite and cable TV and that both could be viewed through the SR-HD5 receiver, with the added benefit of the receiver upconverting the cable-TV signal to 1080i.

Can anybody clarify what I should actually be able to do? If I can do what I hope I can do then I'll explain what I did yesterday with the hope that someone can tell me where I went wrong.

------------------
-McD-

·
Registered
247 Posts
This should work, but first what do you use as inputs, OTA, DTV, and cable? Also must diplex the signal not just simple cable splitter, to get all three. Please provide your input config.

Also, I get similar info re guide. Never have got ANY cable info on programs, may be that DTV does not provide. Others can comment on this re large markets vs small markets and cable guide data.

------------------

Cranial Nerve II With control by III, IV, and VI

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The way I have it wired right now is the DirecTV cable from my satellite dish goes into the "Satellite In" jack on the back of the SR-HD5. My cable-TV cable goes into the "In From Ant" jack.

I don't have my OTA antenna up yet. When I do I'll be using a diplexer up at the dish and let the SR-HD5 do the un-diplexing at the other end via the "Satellite In" jack.

What I found odd during my efforts yesterday is that after connecting the cable-TV cable I went to Installation/Dish Set-Up screen and tabbed dwon to the "CableTV" button. After I selected it I got a message that a "Zip Code database" was being downloaded. Immediately after that it started "Updating Guide Data". At no point did it ask me what my Zip Code was.

I thought perhaps my Zip Code had been saved by the receiver when I used it to get the Dish alignment settings but when I went back to that screen it didn't automatically recall my Zip Code, so I'm guessing that I screwed up somewhere and missed the part where I was supposed to enter my Zip Code.

I also find it odd that I can't seem to make it recognize my DirecTV channels no matter what I do (short of removing the cable-TV cable, which I haven't tried yet).

------------------
-McD-

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've had sat, OTA and cable hooked to my HD5 for almost four months and I'm receiving program data for all inputs.

I think that the Mitsubishi HD5 manual is far more complicated than it needs to be and isn't very clear in explaining an number of things.

In order to do this, you have to diplex the signals from the OTA antenna and the satellite dish. Pay particular attention to page 2-3 of the HD5 manual. You need a diplexer that is designed to combine satellite and OTA antenna signals. Other diplexers will not work. I'm using a Terk that I bought at my local Good Guys store, but I don't have the model number handy. The Radio Shack #16-2581 will also do the job. When you set it up this way, the diplexed signal is connected to the Satellite In connection on the reciver and the cable connection is connected to the In From Ant connection.

Once you've made the connections correctly, you have to configure the receiver as explained on page 4-7. Select Setup/Installation/Local In 1 and then select Antenna. Now select Local In 2 and then select CableTV-STD.

You also have to specify your area code as explained on page 4-2. Select Setup/Installation/Dish Setup. Select Cable TV, input your zip code and then choose your cable provider. Select Area 1, and input your zip code.

I set this all up in late May and then when we moved in early July, set it all up again in the new house with no problem.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5 (126 hours)

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc>f> w/2.5

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreimiller:
What I found odd during my efforts yesterday is that after connecting the cable-TV cable I went to Installation/Dish Set-Up screen and tabbed down to the "CableTV" button. After I selected it I got a message that a "Zip Code database" was being downloaded. Immediately after that it started "Updating Guide Data". At no point did it ask me what my Zip Code was.

I thought perhaps my Zip Code had been saved by the receiver when I used it to get the Dish alignment settings but when I went back to that screen it didn't automatically recall my Zip Code, so I'm guessing that I screwed up somewhere and missed the part where I was supposed to enter my Zip Code.
Trust me, it's not you, it's the receiver. I've had this happen many times. If you abort the process, you will end up with no channel information whatsoever and have to go through the whole setup process all over again.

------------------

Tom

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a similar question, but may be beyond help. I want to connect my OTA antenna and my cable TV to my HD5 and be able to see all stations through the program guide. Is this possible? Please help.

Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I gave up trying to get cable TV and DirecTV at the same time. I disconnected my cable-TV line from my receiver, went to the Locals menu and changed Local 1 from Cable-STD to None, Cleared the channel listing, changed my Dish setting from Oval2 to None and then went back and changed it from None to Oval2 to force the receiver to update the guide data, and now I have exactly Zero channels - no cable-TV channels, no DirecTV channels.

Suggestions on how to get my DirecTV channels back anyone? If it wasn't so late I'd try calling DirecTV to see if they can do anything to cycle my receiver. I guess I should give that a shot tomorrow, though.

------------------
-McD-

·
Registered
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mits mania:
I have a similar question, but may be beyond help. I want to connect my OTA antenna and my cable TV to my HD5 and be able to see all stations through the program guide. Is this possible? Please help.

Thanks!
Ummm, this is what my first post above was all about.

------------------

Tom

·
Registered
734 Posts
Dreimiller, have you tried unplugging your receiver? If this doesn't work, then you have a problem either with your satellite reception (LNB, multiswitch, cable) or you have a DirecTV problem.

I should add that my receiver bit the dust on Friday. I experienced a severely slow response, then the guide data started gradually going away, then it couldn't update the guide data at all. I unplugged the receiver and when I plugged it back in, it would get to nine bars of "Acquiring Guide Data" and then reboot, over and over. I now have a Sony SAT-HD100 as a loaner until mine is returned from the shop.

------------------

Tom

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm now back to square one. I unplugged my receiver, waited a minute, and plugged it back in. It went through the "Acquiring Guide Data" process and when it was done I had my DirecTV channels back, plus a Channel 8 which is the cable-TV channel I was one when I cleared out all of the changes I had made Sunday in an attempt to add local cable-TV to my guide.

I'd still like to get the cable-TV hookup working correctly. Here are the steps that I'm going to try again when I get home from work this evening. If anyone sees a mistake please point it out.

1. Connect cable-TV to the "In From Ant" jack on my receiver.
  2. Go to the Installation menu.
  3. Select Local Area.
  4. Select Local In 1 (In From Ant) and choose CableTV-STD.
  5. Select Clear to clear any channels from the local area screen.
  6. Select Scan to scan the cable-TV connection for available channels.[/list=a]

According to the manual, when this is done the channels will be listed by their normal channel number and the guide will show "Regular Schedule" for each channel. In order to receive accurate program info for these channels I'll need to select a local cable provider or enter area ZIP code on the Dish Setup screen. This part of the process didn't seem to work correctly for me before. The instructions in the manual continue as follows:
    1. Select Done to return to Installation menu.
    2. Select Dish Setup.
    3. Tab to the Cable button and and hit select.[/list=a]

I'm not sure what's supposed to happen at this point. What did happen for me before was the receiver immediately started to downloade a Zip Code Database and, when that was done, it immediately started to "Update Guide Data" which lasted for hours. At no point was I prompted to enter a ZIP Code nor was I given a list of local providers to choose from.

If the steps above are correct then the only thing I can think of that I might have done wrong is I may have started the process Sunday with the second set of steps before I did the first set. I guess it's possible that doing the two sets of instructions in the wrong order put my receiver in a funky state and no matter how many times I tried doing those steps in the correct order it just wasn't going to work after that. Perhaps unplugging my receiver this morning will have cleared any residual problem and when I try again tonight maybe it will work.

------------------
      -McD-

[This message has been edited by Dreimiller (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
310 Posts
My question, Tom, is how to do this if I do not have a satellite signal coming in (I get all the HDTV I want from OTA). Can I just plug the coax from my antenna into the "satellite in" on the HD5 or do I need to convert it to a special type cable?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Driemiller,

You may want to try changing the cable modulation in the local screen from Cable-STD to -IRC or -HRC. Your setup is almost identical to mine (Sat in the Sat input, Cable in the Ant. input - except I have an OTA antenna diplexed with the satellite). My local cable company, MediaOne/AT&T, uses IRC modulation rather than standard or HRC. Try scanning after changing it.

Whatever method the Mitsu SR-HD5 uses to detect a valid signal is a little wishy-washy. For some reason, when I select scan, it doesn't find channels 13-20. But if I manually select them from the local channel menu, it does find them 95% of the time...

Hopefully the scheduled firmware update will address tuner issues as well as program guide issues...

------------------

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|>

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|\\

Â*Â*Â*Â*/|Â*\\

Â*Â*Â*/Â*|__\\

Â*Â*/__|____

Â*Â*\\_ ___ _ \\

Jon Gauthier

"If I'm not sailing I'd rather be watching sailing in HD!" - Me

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Mits mania wrote:

...how to do this if I do not have a satellite signal coming in (I get all the HDTV I want from OTA). Can I just plug the coax from my antenna into the "satellite in" on the HD5 or do I need to convert it to a special type cable?
The section of the manual you want is on page 4-9. I believe you can just connect your antenna cable into the "In From Ant" jack. I know that the SR-HD5 "Satellite In" jack can un-diplex the signal to separate the DirecTV and OTA antenna signals that have been diplexed together. I don't know if you can connect a raw antenna connection to the "Satellite In" jack, but I suspect you can't.

------------------
-McD-

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
jonlgauthier wrote:

You may want to try changing the cable modulation in the local screen from Cable-STD to -IRC or -HRC.
I've actually have a call into my local cable provider's tech support to find out what type of signal that they use. Not surprisingly, they haven't called back.

What will happen if I choose the wrong cable signal type? I found this web page that seems to suggest that the difference between the signal types is the frequencies used for each channel. Does this mean that the way I can tell if I've chosen the wrong signal type is missing channels after I do a Scan?

------------------
-McD-

·
Registered
310 Posts
I currently do have my antenna plugged into the "antenna in." My goal, however, is to hook up both the cable and the antenna to the HD5, thus one of them needs to go into the "satellite in" since you can't diplex the antenna and the cable.

The manual seems to say that there is a special type of cable required to feed into the "satellite in."

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:
What will happen if I choose the wrong cable signal type? I found this web page that seems to suggest that the difference between the signal types is the frequencies used for each channel. Does this mean that the way I can tell if I've chosen the wrong signal type is missing channels after I do a Scan?
All that will happen is that the tuner won't find anything - it'll just come up blank. Quite different than the NTSC tuner in my 65" Mitsu RPTV: it figures out for itself what cable scheme is used - all you do is tell it you're using cable or antenna.

There's no reason you can't hook up all three (satellite, cable, off-air antenna) simultaneously. And either RF input - antenna or sat - can be configured for OTA antenna or cable.

The main thing to look out for is if you are using a line-powered preamp for your VHF/UHF antenna - make sure the diplexer you are using passes DC out the antenna input in addition to the normal satellite input. And make sure your UHF preamp's current draw plus that of your dish's multiswitch doesn't exceed your SatHD receiver's DC current supply rating...

------------------

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|>

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|\\

Â*Â*Â*Â*/|Â*\\

Â*Â*Â*/Â*|__\\

Â*Â*/__|____

Â*Â*\\_ ___ _ \\

Jon Gauthier

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
jonlgauthier wrote:

Quite different than the NTSC tuner in my 65" Mitsu RPTV: it figures out for itself what cable scheme is used - all you do is tell it you're using cable or antenna.
I noticed the same thing with my Mits WS-55819 RPTV. Seems odd to me that my Mits TV can automatically figure out the cable signal type but my Mits receiver can't.

------------------
-McD-

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:
I noticed the same thing with my Mits WS-55819 RPTV. Seems odd to me that my Mits TV can automatically figure out the cable signal type but my Mits receiver can't.

Remember that the Mits is manufactured by Hughes Electronics, who, um, owns DirecTV...

And just a note regarding an earlier post of yours in this thread: You definitely can connect ONLY an OTA antenna to the Satellite In jack. That's how I had mine connected until I broke down and bought a dish and subscribed to DirecTV. I had my aerial (how British sounding!) on the Sat input and cable to the Ant. input. You just need to make sure that the dish type is set to None so you won't have the LNB selection voltage (+12-18Vdc) on the center conductor...

------------------

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|>

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*|\\

Â*Â*Â*Â*/|Â*\\

Â*Â*Â*/Â*|__\\

Â*Â*/__|____

Â*Â*\\_ ___ _ \\

Jon Gauthier

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Apparently unplugging my receiver this morning cleared up whatever problem my receiver was having. When I tried adding the cable-TV again this evening it went fairly smoothly, but there were a couple of hitches.

1) When I entered my Zip Code the only provider listed was Cox Cable of Meriden. I changed the Zip Code that I entered to that of the town where my local cable company, Comcast Cable, is located and that produced the correct provider. I then checked the second Zip Code for the town I live in and it also produced the correct provider. Who would I contact about the error in their provider database - DirecTV?

2) After connecting the cable, setting the Local 1 input to cable-STD and then scanning the channels I noticed that it found channels on most of the even numbers. After choosing my provider and having the guide data updated I noticed some strange things. First, I noticed that the two channels in the state that have a digital signal were listed in my guide twice - once with their analog number and a second time with a "-1" following their analog number, and those entries had "DT" on the end of the channel name. If I go back to the Local Channels setup menu the channel listing there shows that the analog versions of those channels have now picked up their channel name (it's not just "Channel 3" anymore, it's "WFSB") and I don't see any channel that has picked up the digital name ("WFSBDT"). I thought maybe the digital channel would be assigned based on it's real channel number (33-1) but I checked and I don't have a channel 33 in my guide. Is there a way for me to figure out which channel to delete from the local channel setup listing to get rid of the duplicate "digital" version of those channels?

2) A lot of the channels in my guide did not pick up channel names or program scheduling, even though they are national channels (like TBS) or local affiliates of major networks (like WJAR-10/NBC out of RI). Why didn't all of the channels get identified? Is there a way to manually assign a channel so that the guide data gets updated for that channel? If I can't do that, can I at least give the unnamed channels more meaningful names somehow? Is there a web site that uses the same guide data source so that I can confirm that the data is correct for my local cable provider?

3) I noticed that the CT NBC affiliate, WVIT-30, which is on channel 4 of my cable system, shows up in the guide on channel 30 (not 4). How does the receiver handle the conflict between that channel and the channel that is on channel 30 on my cable system?

------------------
-McD-

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mits mania:
I currently do have my antenna plugged into the "antenna in." My goal, however, is to hook up both the cable and the antenna to the HD5, thus one of them needs to go into the "satellite in" since you can't diplex the antenna and the cable.

The manual seems to say that there is a special type of cable required to feed into the "satellite in."
I did have my Sat & Cable dipelexed to "Sat. In" via a Terk diplexer with OTA through "Ant. In." The DST-3000 scanned all of the digital and analog stations I was picking up with my antennas and listed them on the guide. It also listed most of the program info. I then deleted the ones I didn't need. I had a problem with the cable though because my cable company is a very small company and I could never get the channels to scan in properly. If I had cable from one of the big 2 or 3 that was listed in my area it would have worked great. The other thing I noticed is the picture quality of cable was much worse than when I had it hooked directly to the back of my TV. I don't watch cable enough to worry about trying to make it work. Its just that many more channels to scan through. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.