AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed lately horizontal bars rolling down the screen, they are about 2 or 3 inches in width and very faint. I have my computer hooked up to this TV using the HD input and have tried to adjust the frequecies slightly using powerstrip but the bars are still there, these bars aren't on my monitor. Also they are even worse with cable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Those rolling bars are also known as "hum bars" or "60 cycle bars." they are almost always a result of having your cable connected. Disconnect your cable feed and they should go away. It has something to do with incompatible grounding with the rest of your home. We have all experienced it to some degree. I was once told by a service technician that it is related to a weak power supply in the tv. Some brands seem to exhibit it more than others.

You can reduce the affect by turning down your Contrst setting. And I think that there is a $100 solution available from tributaries and another manufacturer. check the Audio Advisor catalog. Some folks have made their own "$100 solution" for a few dollars by buying two balum transformers ( they take a 75 ohm cable lead and have two spade lugs on the other end) and connect the spade lugs of each to the other, thus creating an inline pass through. This never worked for me but did for others.

Shelly

·
Registered
599 Posts
The ground on your tv and on the cable are at different potentials.

You could

check the cable grounding block

check your tv's ground (house ground)

or Install a transformer on the line

This will prevent current from flowing down the shield and break the loop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.