AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to turn on my TV today but it didn't respond to the remote. Turned it on manually and the device menu appeared but it was cycling through all the icons. It was if I was holding down the device button on the remote. I removed all the batteries from all my remotes, looked for any other possible remote interference, put a large piece of cardboard in front of the screen to block any errant IR signal but nothing works. The only way for me to turn it off was to unplug it or press the system reset button.

It may not be an IR interference problem at all but that's exactly how it's acting. I haven't changed anything in the house that I know of since I watched it a couple days ago.

Has anyone seen this before or have any idea what is going on? I know this is an old set, but was hoping someone might know.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
16,792 Posts
1. Has something changed in the room?

2. Were lamps changed now using CF bulbs?

3. Have drapes, curtains, shades and/or blinds been change, letting more sunlight in, hitting the TV?

4. Have you unplugged the set for a few minutes and powered it up again?

5. Lastly, have you done a full reset (which would loose all your settings and channels)??

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. no

2. no

3. no

4.yes

5.yes

Literally was working one day and two days later it was doing this. I ended-up unplugging the front panel switches and the TV works fine with the remote. The only problem is I can't use the front panel now. I looked at the switch assembly circuit board, blew out all the switches, unplugged/replugged on the main board, nothing solved it. So I just left it unplugged. Not the ideal solution, but better than taking it to the electronics recycler. Paid over $4K for the damn thing in 2003 and can't even use HDMI. Promise module my ass.

·
Registered
16,792 Posts
I'm puzzled about the "front panel switches" part.

Are you referring the the circuit board that that would hold all/any buttons & LED's etc along the front panel below the screen? Disconnecting the wire assembly cable solved the problem??

What "switches" were you using?

Are there any inputs there?

Other than a few resistors and/or diodes and/or caps, are there any IC's of any type on that board?

I'm guessing the Menu button has gone bad and/or something in that specific circuit path. If that is correct, de-solder that switch or trace the path and open it somewhere and see if that works. This should be somewhat simple.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that's correct. It just had the push-button switches and some resistors and the LED for the power light. This is the panel below the screen for power, channel, volume, etc. I might try your suggestion at some point when I get time. It's just odd that the switch would go bad when I never use that panel and the TV has maybe 400 hours on it.

·
Registered
16,792 Posts
Bad from non use. Oxidation of the contacts.

Not unusual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts