Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a mits ws-65908 and have a few questions:

1) How does the picture compare to a crt-based hdtv (I currently have the Toshiba 34" hdtv)?

2) How good is the viewing angle of this set? Can I get 120 deg?

3) Is the picture noticeably better in the diamond series compared to the Platinum plus (65819) series? Is is worth it? (I don't care about sound quality)

4) Can the tv's internal speakers be used as a center channel?

5) With the new dlp sets coming out soon, should I wait for those? Will the rpu sets come down in price in the next couple of months?

6) I will be sitting 10-12 feet from the TV. Is 65" the right size?

7) I already have an hdtv tuner (Sony HD100) - any compatibility issues? Any reason I should buy one of the mits sets that has the built in hd tuner?

Thanks!!!

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by djbishop
I'm considering buying a mits ws-65908 and have a few questions:

I suppose you could by routing your preamp's center channel output to the audio inputs on the TV. Personally, if you care about sound quality, I would think you would use a separate center speaker though.

Quote:
5) With the new dlp sets coming out soon, should I wait for those? Will the rpu sets come down in price in the next couple of months?
I bought a WS-65909 several weeks ago. My feeling is I could keep waiting and waiting until things "settled down more." I finally decided that if I continued to take that stance I'd still be looking at my same 31" TV until it died or until things finally settled down in 2030 :). I wouldn't expect prices of the RPTV's to drop all that significantly in the near future.

Quote:

That sounds reasonable.

Quote:
7) I already have an hdtv tuner (Sony HD100) - any compatibility issues? Any reason I should buy one of the mits sets that has the built in hd tuner?
I'm not familiar with the HD100, so can't help you there. The models with the integrated HD tuners (65909, 55909) also have the firewire inputs. If you would be buying the 65908 with the idea of later buying the promise module, it may be cheaper to just buy the 65909 now.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I have a 65" Platinum

Quote:
1) How does the picture compare to a crt-based hdtv (I currently have the Toshiba 34" hdtv)?
I recently auditioned all the direct views at Circuit City. HD picture cannot compare to a rear projector. I would describe the picture as not much better than 480p.

Quote:
2) How good is the viewing angle of this set? Can I get 120 deg?
Viewing angle is not bad, I think you can get 120 deg (at 10-12 feet). It is better with anti-glare screen on, but I prefer the picture with the screen off.

Quote:
3) Is the picture noticeably better in the diamond series compared to the Platinum plus (65819) series? Is is worth it? (I don't care about sound quality)
I found little difference in the showroom picture across the Platinum-Diamond line. My fully calibrated Platinum looks better than a partially calibrated Diamond (my dealer is quite a few steps up from Sears). What you gain as you step up is better lenses that allow for better edge/corner focus. With hours of experimenting, the best I could get on the Platinum is about 3.5% overscan with decent focus/convergence. The higher end sets should be much easier focus and converge. Since I was on a budget...the difference in quality did not justify the $$$.

Quote:
Yes, but I can't think of a good reason why you would want to do this. If you are on a budget, definitely go with the the Platinum+ and use the rest of the money for a decent center channel.

Quote:
I wouldn't wait...but that's just me

Quote:
I find 10-12' the perfect distance for a 65"

Quote:
No compatibility issues that I am aware of...but you might as well get the firewire if you want to record.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.