AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed this morning that my Mitsubishi RP/HDTV appears to be chopping of about 2-3 inches (in comparison to the 65" screen) of the picture on the top and the bottom of 1080i broadcasts. I'm running an HTPC and a MyHD card. I don't think its related to the resolution of Windows because when I flip the MyHD card to full screen, it switches to its own 1080i signal over cuts out the VGA pass through.

When I have the MyHD image in an overlay window (inside of Windows) then I can see the full 16:9 image. When I flip that window to full screen I seem to be loosing a couple inches on the top and bottom.

I'm using a VGA to 5BNC component cable since the Mits suppots RGBHV input. Maybe this is a MyHD problem, but I thought I would check here first.

Any ideas?

-MM

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you say that? I tried a Key Digital transcoder to go from VGA to YPrPb and the quality seemed much worse than simply using a straight VGA to 5BNC cable.

Also, I took your advice and moved this thread to HTPC: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...57#post2702857

-MM

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Mitsubishi converts RGBVH to YPrPb internally before sending pure RGB to the CRTs. The fewer conversions the better IMO.

Even the Mits manual states that YPrPb is the preffered connection when both are available.

Key Digital transcoder? Are you telling me the MrHD doesn't support YPrPb? Or are you trying to display your PC desktop in addition to the HDTV support?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, desktop in addition to the MyHD output.

-MM

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
That explains it...it is not recommended to use the overlay for HDTV viewing. Use the TV output. If you need HTPC desktop, get a VGA switch.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think your analysis is correct (although I appreciate the attempted help anyway :).

I don't use overlay for HD viewing. The VGA output loops into the MyHD card which has its own VGA output to the HDTV (via the VGA to 5-BNC breakout cable). I always watch HD full screen, which means the MyHD card turns the VGA pass through off and outputs its own 480p/1080i signal to the TV.

What I'm describing is that if I do use the overlay window for HD playback (sizing the overlay window to full screen) I can see a marked difference in the top and bottom of the image as opposed to when that same image is full screen.

I'll take this discussion up in the HTPC forum as its more appropriate there.

-MM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.