AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase another tv, and after my experience with the panasonic 40" lcd last week I am afraid to make another bad purchase =). I have seen the jvc and it looks pretty good, though its a little big (i could deal with it). I need something just about in this size range.

I haven't seen either the mits or the hitachi, however I have read many reviews of both and both seem excellent. I like the depth of the hitachi, but again I could deal with any of them.

Please help me make an informed decision about which set to get......they all seem like great sets, however looking fro some ppl with a little more knowledge and exp with these sets.

-Chris

·
Registered
35 Posts
The JVC has a cleaner image than either of the other sets. Its scaling and stretch modes are much crisper than either of the other sets. It also has DVI and to sets of HD component in. In many areas, of the country, it's hard to come by.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just went through this myself. I don't know about the Hitachi, but looked at the Mits (among others) after getting my JVC and not being initially happy with the image. I found both sets to have good images at the stores with the JVC looking good out of the box. I saw the Mits at several stores and with the exception of one high end store (that you could tell didn't want to sell that set) it looked good as well. One store had the Mits showing the impressive HD OTA PBS feed that we have here and the image was stunning. I almost called Best Buy to pick up my JVC because the image on my set was in no way as clear as the Mits was. Then I started reading Boards like this one and caught on to the Calibration discs like VE and Avia. It made a big difference in the JVC image. Enough that I decided to spend the money and get a HD STB and get Local HD OTA broadcasts. I now have that crystal clear HD image that I was looking for on the JVC. However, I have learned that all HD feeds are not the same in quality and some are better than others. If pricing is important, I got the JVC on sale at around $1700 and the Mits dealers all seemed to be priced the same at $2000. I really didn't try to bargain, so maybe you could do better. I figured for the same basic picture I could get the JVC and a four year service plan for the same price as the Mits.

So, I can tell you that with the proper signal and basic calibration, either of these sets will shine. Don't go ( like me) expecting to see a HD image out of the box with any set until you do the basic calibration and get a good 1080i image feed or you will be disapointed with any HD set you get. It is now hard to watch anything else but HD broadcasts.

My more than 2 cents.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.... one big problem in trying to get the mits or the hitachi is that I can get the jvc for 1300 and the 4 year plan for 185 so with tax and everything I'll be out the door for 1600.00 which is a great price. However I really love the size of the 43" though I would like the screen a little bigger. =).

I'm going to shoot out today and try to catch up with the mits and the hitachi, if I cant I think I will just get the JVC. The bad about that is none of the stores in my area have them in stock and said it could take a couple weeks to get them in which sounded strange but I heard it more then once =-(.

-Chris

·
Registered
83 Posts
It sounds like they might be playing price games with you. A quick search on the net will find no such low price. I was in retail for 15 years, and if we didn't have a item in stock, it was always cheaper just to take you out of the market. Didn't cost anything. I would make sure that you don't wait for a month and then find out they will never have the set in stock. I could be wrong, but that's what it sounds like to me. Buyer beware!

Good luck!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No the reason I would get it for that price is because I have a family member who is a best buy employee. The regular price there is 1800.00 and the service plan 400. With his discounts the tv is 1300.00 and the plan is 185.00. I dont know if the other bb's have it in stock or not I know the two near me do not but the others aren't far away so I can call around and have him pick it up for me (there not supposed to use there discount for others). His price on the panasonic I got last week was 2300.00. They get fantastic deals on this stuff 5% over cost, you would'nt believe the savings you can get. I was thinking about working there for like an hour a week just to get there discount.

Thanks for the warning though =).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ah,

That explains it then. I got the last set available down here two weeks ago, and they have over 100 on order. So wait and you will have a good deal. I wouldn't even look at the Mits at the price you are getting the JVC for.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I would check that price on the JVC. The amount you mentioned is below best dealer cost on that unit. I am sure BB has a great employee purchase plan, but I don't think they plan on losing money on it.

Mike

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its right, I just checked again today, the price they give employees is awesome. I am not really worried about the price however, just want the best picture and featured set out of the three of these.

-Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.