AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've recently decided on the Mitsubishi WS-55907 and are now working on the next step, a dvd player. I thought progressive was a no-brainer, but my research has raised a couple interesting questions.

1. Does the Mits automatically upconvert 480p input to 1080i? If so, doesn't this negate the progressive benefit?

2. Does the Mits automatically lock into anamorphic mode when seeing a 480p signal? If so, aren't I going to lose the ability to view non-anamorphic letterbox movies at full screen width?

Input, experience, as well as DVD player success stories appreciated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a WS-55807. It's the same as the '907 except it has a less fancy cabinet and lower quality CRT lenses. I use it with the Toshiba SD-5109 progressive scan DVD player and RCA DTC100 HDTV set-top.

1) It will not convert anything to 1080i. It will convert normal NTSC signals to either 480p or 960i (your choice).

2) It will not lock you into full mode with progressive input. You will have access to all screen formats except stretch. Stretch mode is not available on the wideband inputs.

You'll love set. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by TroyM (edited 05-20-2001).]

·
Registered
136 Posts
I also have the ws55857 Plat plus. With a Sony sathd100 satbox. The Mits TV doesnot convert by itself from 480 to 1080 with a progressive dvd player. It will only do that if

you are running the hd sat box. When watching any dvd movies

on the Mits hd rptv it does lock to 480 but on the remote you can change format of screen. 480i narrow,480i standard,

480i expand, 480i zoom. So inotherwords you can change letterbox format of any dvd movie. The Mits is the way to go. Have fun. Oh by the way if the next project is a reciever go with the Denon. hehehe. Later on add an amp ADCOM AMPS are one sweet amps. For speaker wires try Audioquest. And for speakers try Definitive Technologies or NHT'S they do make bass boxes as well.

Enjoy,

------------------

PeterDz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.