Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's just me.

I received the unit on Tuesday and have been fiddling with it, waiting for some other electronics to arrive to test the HD part of the box.

The analog tuner is much better and more sensitive than my old 27" set, pulling in stations I didn't know existed.

But there are a couple of things:

a. The frame holding the screen (and the screen protector) is loose to me. There is a 1/8" gap between the frame and the rest of the box.

b. set generated graphics seem blurry, fuzzy around the edges.

c. I'm having a somewhat difficult time with the advanced convergence. The lines are blurry to me. Since this model only does Red and Blue (not Green), I have found it easier to switch between Red and Blue and then align the color 'brackets' that it displays rather than moving the red or blue line into the white.

d. When I have the set on, say, video mute and all blue and I stand very close and look down into the image, there seems to be a wedge-shape of white on the screen, like a ghost image. I can only see it from above, not from straight on.

I'm wondering if the set is out of focus and should be exchanged or perhaps upgraded to a 55413 or a 48613.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by weedeater

d. When I have the set on, say, video mute and all blue and I stand very close and look down into the image, there seems to be a wedge-shape of white on the screen, like a ghost image. I can only see it from above, not from straight on.

mine does this all the time (no matter what Res or Source and doesn't have to be on the blue screen)

but mine looks like a rainbow wedge.

can't see it from anywhere but directly straight above, so I never worried about it

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
It sounds out of focus.

I'd probably exchange it if the frame seems defective.
My parents RCA rptv had a nice gap in the frame also. It was such a PITA to get it in their loft, I attempted to fix it myself. After removing the frame to see if it was warped (which it wasn't), I just put it back on minus the screen protector. To my amazement, it went back on perfectly, no more gap. We must have bump it pretty hard going up the stairs, but removing it and putting it back on worked.

·
Registered
106 Posts
MY 48413, was out of focus pretty bad, I guess its the luck of the draw, if in doubt, go bigger, if thats an option, I wish I'd have gone 55 minimum. but that was alot more work in my situation....

you can fix the focus, if you are so inclined, or call the place you bought it to have them check it ..

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

I went back to the dealer. The sales guy was pretty nonchalant about the whole thing. They sent out a tech anyway. He reattached the frame. He agreed that the convergence was off. He went into the service menu (I assume that's what he did) and performed convergence on all 3 colors (red, blue and green). He then saved the settings.

Apparently, if this set looses power, it goes back to factory settings for everything, including convergence settings. The set had come unplugged a few times as I was moving it around to reach the back and attach cables.

The tech saved the new settings as the factory defaults.

Eventhough it does look better, I'm thinking about coughing up the extra bucks for the 55". That also gets me the EDF lenses in this size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.