AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I've recently begun encountering a problem and was hoping fellow AVSers could tell me if this is a small or big problem.

My problem is this - when I first turn the TV on, I have an extremely distorted picture. The top, bottom and sides of the picture bow in in a circular manner. This first started about 6 months ago and was only very, very rare. Now, everytime I turn the set on it happens.

And, here's the part that is weird to me - if you give the set a good jolt (I don't actually hit the set, I jump on the floor in front of the set) it goes away. And, once the set warms up, it goes away.

This set is about 4.5 years old. When I bought it, I got an extended warranty that expired in year 3. I'm hoping this is something relatively minor that can be corrected or repaired, as I still very much like the PQ.

Help!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Jvos,

What it sounds like you are experiencing is a known problem with these sets. Your convergence modules have either cold solder joints or are beginning to fail. I was able to purchase the chips for about $20 USD. It took me about 2 hours to complete the repair. If you are handy with a soldering iron and are comfortable working around areas where the possibility of high voltages exist, the repair is well worth it. My Mits picture quality looks better than the day I bought it. I hope this helps...Will

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
jvos,

Yes, I would highly recommend picking up a service manual. I got mine at user-manuals.com (no WWW), for about $20.00. After you pay for it, you will be allowed to download the service manual in PDF format a few hours later. You can pick up the convergence modules at any reputable electronic component shop. Make ABSOLUTELY sure that the modules that you purchase are the Japanese Sanyo chips, not some knock off. Don't let them talk you into a substitution module!

Also, you need to go to www.***************.com . There is a Mitsubishi tweak and repair forum that can't be beat. The entire procedure is explained in one of the threads (it won't be hard to find). You will need to buy a subscription to access the tweaks section. The subscription is $25, and it is well worth the cost. I have tweaked my 55857 with many of the tips on this board. My set is seven years old and it still looks fantastic. The only thing is that I want to upgrade to 1080p, so it will soon be retired to the living room!

Even though you will be spending about $65 to get the parts and info to get this done, I am sure you would pay more than 5 times that amount to get a service tech to do it. Plus, the satisfaction of firing up the set after YOU perform the service and it looks fantastic is a great feeling. I hope this helps...Will

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.