Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All --

I'd like to provide a quick review and some thoughts on the Mitsu 65413 I purchased recently.

Methodolgy: I'm a newbie. I don't have any. This is a subjective, not objective review.

Environment / Usage: 95% of what I do is watch DVD movies. No VHS, no television of any kind. The other 5% is X-Box gaming.

The TV is downstairs in a "family room". It is very dark in the day, and pitch black at night -- a good environment for watching movies. I sit 8 feet from the TV, due to a poorly placed ceiling support pole, so it truly 'fills' the vision in a cinematic fashion. Unfortunately, this also magnifies flaws in both TV and DVD.

My player is a Denon 1600 connected via component.

TV Setup: The first thing I did on receiving the TV was turn off the speakers, and use the AVIA setup disk to turn down brightness and contrast to reasonable levels. I turned Sharpness to 0, and turned off the "DSM Edge Enhancement". I used the advanced color correction to set Red levels to 27 from a base of 31, and Magenta to 29 from 31, but I haven't set color up properly using AVIA yet. That's a project on the list.

I used the TV's 64 point convergence to tweak the geometry a bit, and I've done this several times over the week that I've owned this TV. The very close seating position makes this more critical.

Impressions:

I've found the remote to reasonably well design and usable, but a 'light function' would be really nice.

The TV does a great job of providing a cinematic experience. The film grain of "Saving Private Ryan" was clearly visible. Superbit 5th and Episode II both looked great -- colors were vibrant, and never seemed washed out. Episode II's starfields looked terrific (with two exceptions -- see below).

There was a TINY bit of bleed between some of Episode II's bright-red backgrounds and greens and blues in the foreground. I'm not sure whether this is a compression / de-interlacing artifact OR that I still need to crank down red a little bit. It was very minor.

Comparing the screen's black levels with the nigh-pitch black surrounding room shows that the line between 'TV blackness' and 'room blackness' is invisible (to me, anyway). In other words, black levels appear to be very, very good.

The size of the screen is great -- it fills the vision. Like a movie, it requires you to refocus your eyes on different parts of the screen to follow the action.

At best, it's awesome, despite a DVD-limited lack in resolution.

Unfortunately, transfers that are of poorer quality show their flaws cleary. For example, the small amount of Edge Enhancement in Episode I's desert scenes is irritating to distraction. Non-anamorphic transfers, such as G. I. Jane, look blurry and unfocused. Poor quality, non-anamorhpic transfers look like crap.

Bad stuff:

So far, I've noticed two significant problems.

First, a round, indestinct halo is visible in the center of the screen in scenes that have a large black area, but still have areas of bright / white colors. This is most visible in credits, however, it was clearly visible at the begining of Episode II when Naboo is show in the upper half of the screen, but the lower half is black. I believe this may be caused by reflections inside the TV's upper case.

Second, I've noticed an oranage or red reflective "pixel-sized" (although I know the display doesn't have pixels per se) spot that usually resides in the upper left of the screen, but only when oranage or red is on screen, AND that portion of the screen is dark.

I believe that this is caused by a defect in the red lense. When the TV was disassembled to be brought into my house, I noticed that the lense had a small (3 x 3mm) scuff mark on it. Would this cause a problem like this?

I don't know how to prove in either case that the apparently reflection related artifacts are a result of exterior vs. interior reflections.

720p: I haven't yet tried a 720p signal from my xbox. I have heard that this will either a) not display at all or b) upconvert to 1080i. I'll let you know what I find.

Overall:

In generally, I am very happy with this TV, but definitely would like to see the two issues above resolved. My preference would probably still to have a 55413, but it would not fit. For more info, see: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=303719

My plan is to have it professional calibrated in a few month's time. Eventually, I'd like to look into a HD setup using a the TV's DVI plug.

I had originally wonder if I ought to pop for one of hte 713 series TV's that have larger CRT guns / better lenses. I believe that I probably made the right choice in saving my money, at least for now. The primary limitation on image quality seems to be DVD transfer quality, not display quality.

Sage

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bit more experimenting and I definitely isolated the 'red spot' to be from an exterior source. Easily fixed! The O shaped halo in the center of the screen is definitely from internal glare.

Does anyone think that the scuff on the lense would actually effect the image quality? What would I see? Slightly blurry red?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think that "halo" can be seen on all crt rptvs when there is areas of dark and light on the screen. I can see it on my old 41" sony rptv anyway.

I'm glad that the TV still looks good from 8' - I'm getting one too. The main seating will be at about 12', but some will be about 8'.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shaneotool
I think that "halo" can be seen on all crt rptvs when there is areas of dark and light on the screen. I can see it on my old 41" sony rptv anyway.

I'm glad that the TV still looks good from 8' - I'm getting one too. The main seating will be at about 12', but some will be about 8'.
The halo should exist on all RPTVs (not just CRTs), nature of the technology (internal reflection). This can be minimized (not elminated) using Duvetyne as a liner inside the cabinet to absorbe these reflections.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sage

There was a TINY bit of bleed between some of Episode II's bright-red backgrounds and greens and blues in the foreground. I'm not sure whether this is a compression / de-interlacing artifact OR that I still need to crank down red a little bit. It was very minor.

Shouldn't be either. Their are no improperly flagged frames that I know of on that DVD. So no deinteralcing problems (you probably wouldn't notice anyway with the DCDi of the 1600). This DVD shouldn't show any compression artifacts either. Do you have AVIA? You may need to look at the Y/C delay.

Quote:
Unfortunately, transfers that are of poorer quality show their flaws cleary. For example, the small amount of Edge Enhancement in Episode I's desert scenes is irritating to distraction. Non-anamorphic transfers, such as G. I. Jane, look blurry and unfocused. Poor quality, non-anamorhpic transfers look like crap.
Yep, this is the drawback of a 65", flaws in the source are more apparent.

Quote:
When the TV was disassembled to be brought into my house, I noticed that the lense had a small (3 x 3mm) scuff mark on it. Would this cause a problem like this?
Ouch, you should have never accepted the delivery.

Quote:
720p: I haven't yet tried a 720p signal from my xbox. I have heard that this will either a) not display at all or b) upconvert to 1080i. I'll let you know what I find.
Good luck :rolleyes:

Quote:
I had originally wonder if I ought to pop for one of hte 713 series TV's that have larger CRT guns / better lenses. I believe that I probably made the right choice in saving my money, at least for now. The primary limitation on image quality seems to be DVD transfer quality, not display quality.
Only the 73713 has the 9" guns, you must move to the 813 to get 9" in the 65.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
When the TV was disassembled to be brought into my house, I noticed that the lense had a small (3 x 3mm) scuff mark on it. Would this cause a problem like this?
Quote:
Ouch, you should have never accepted the delivery.
Yeah... a part of me wonders the same. It seems like it would be very easy to replace the lense, however. Should I request a replacement TV (since I'm within the 30 days) or should I just let a service guy come and replace the lense?

What type of artifacts might I see because of a small scuff on the lense?

Sage

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone have any ideas how the scuff mark might affect the image quality?

Sage

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a quick update, the Xbox game "Soul Caliber II" supports 720p. When set like this, the television outputs no signal. Unfortunately, it doesn't upconvert to 1080i. That's disapointing, but not a huge deal -- since I mostly watch movies, I only really care about 480p, and when HD DVDs come out, 1080i.

Sage

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the spirit of keeping this review updated with the my impressions and findings, I'd like to add a caveat about black level (beside the blanket, "I'm a newbie" caveat noted in the first post).

The blacklevels of this display aren't quite as good as I express above in my review. The display does a really good job with black levels in scenes that are dim as a whole. It doesn't do nearly as good a job, however, in scenes with a very bright element. The over all blacks look more gray, and halo'ing is visible. Note that I do watch in a pitch-black room, and this artifact is less visible as room brightness increases. My understanding is that this is caused by internal reflectivity, and can be partially fixed by covering the interior with a non-reflective fabric and/or adding a "hood" around the lense. While I need to consider the warranty reprucussions, this is something I'm going to investigate.

I hope this is helpful for folks,

Sage

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.