AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of buying eithr of these. How do you rate them? If I have Directv and want to hook up OTA can I do both? Do I need any other receiver besides the Directv one ? It seems as if there is only one HDTV input with 1080. Does this mean OTA can Directv can;'t both be hooked up at 1080?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 511 and 611 have a built in tuner for OTA. Since you wish to receive DirecTV (the hd channels I assume), you will still need a set top box. Since this is the case, your set top box will receive DirecTV and OTA and integrate the channel lists.

The one thing that annoys me is that there seems to be some mandate from direcTV that none of the set top boxes that receive it can have firewire. This means that you will need to use the 1080 input and forget ever recording anything (can't record from dvi ).

·
Registered
93 Posts
You can use both your Directv receiver with these sets.

The internal OTA ATSC tuner doesn't use any external video inputs. You just attach your OTA antenna.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The advantage to using the D* receiver for OTA is that it will integrate the OTA channels into the same program guide with the Sat channels.

The advantage to the Mits internal OTA tuner is that you can attach a DVHS tape deck to the Mits 1394 port and record OTA channels, but not from the D* receiver.

Also, I think the xx511 is the same as a 311 set but with the ATSC tuner and 1394 added. 611 = 411 set + tuner/1394

In general I like the Mits sets, maybe best picture for the $, but just MHO.

Also if you are thinking of the sets with 1394, Dish is rumored to have 2 HD Sat boxes coming out next year that have 1394 connections, one high-end (the 921) and one low end (the 211), but who knows when they will actually ship.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.