AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, after running around and eventually deciding to hold off on FP for now, I've decided to go with a Mitsubishi RPTV (to replace 12 year old Toshiba now giving me the blue, wavy shadow effect....); the only question is which one: the Select Series 65" WG-65712 or the 73" 73711. (i.e. size vs. quantity) ?

I have a 26x19 room with current sitting position to be about 12-14 ft from front of TV screen; I have plenty of room to change room arrangements but am currently placed optimally for SACD MC audio playback.

I have seen the HD quality difference in the stores but am I likely to see sufficient quality difference from 14" feet back to justify the approx 6" lower width of the smaller screen ? Most of time will be spent with non-HD sources (regular broadcast (until everyone gets their HD ducks in a row) and DVD).

73711:

Size (larger - screen width 6" wider)

Picture Brightness

Picture quality (.52mm lenticular screen pitch)

weight (smaller)

cost (approx $1800 cheaper).

Sale (and financing terms) ends Sunday so I'm highly tempted to make a buying decision real soon...

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Neither, 65813. You get the best of both worlds plus all the digital interfaces you will ever need with the 65813. Don't settle for anything less. Do not get the 73711 or 65712. A 65613 will do too. Better price range with that ~$3100.00.

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
I have the 73711. SD PQ is just plain bad.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Oscar1

Welcome to the forum.

The problem is that Standard Definition which makes up most of what's available on TV (except for the few HD stations and they don't really broadcast HD all the time) looks better on some sets than others. Mits has improved the line doubler and has better stretch modes and has direct access to some of the color controls in the new sets that are currently shipping. These sets end with the number 13.

In my opinion, you'd be better off buying the 65413 for around 3K than either of these other sets.

·
Registered
53 Posts
What is the big diff between 73513 and 73713, to me it looks like "quad-focus and speakers? Is the focus thing that big of a deal, because anything I watch with loudness comes off of stereo.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm... looks like I need to do more homework. Funny the salesperson didn't tell me about the 2004 lineup....

I queried another salesperson on the 65813 and found out he at least probably will not be able to get it for at least a month with a selling price $1100 more than what I might have paid for the 65712.

So I would be paying more than a grand for:

Brighter picture (9" gun)

DVI inputs (of dubious benefit for a RPTV)

better PQ (perhaps ???) on analog sources ??

better color tweaking options

what else ?

Guess I could get on the waiting list and/or spend time checking out some other options (Hitachi ?).

Thanks for the tips

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oscar1

what else ?

Guess I could get on the waiting list and/or spend time checking out some other options (Hitachi ?).
Is that not enough? 9" gun main benefit IMO is not brighter picture...its BETTER picture...GREATER RESOLUTION

Rest assured that the PQ will be better all around

No currently produced CRT set will be able to compete with this set.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
Is that not enough? 9" gun main benefit IMO is not brighter picture...its BETTER picture...GREATER RESOLUTION

Rest assured that the PQ will be better all around

No currently produced CRT set will be able to compete with this set.
Marc is right. Wait for the 65813.

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:

Those DVI inputs are more than just a "dubious benefit for a RPTV", as everything from DVD players to HD satellite boxes are now using DVI outputs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Curious if anyone has actually SEEN the 65813 ? On paper, it should be better than the 65711 or 65712.

I can pre-order this, but how safe is it sight unseen ?

Meanwhile one of my friends who owns a Pioneer Elite owner swears the PE beats the Mits in every respect (he evidently spent a lot of time "A/B"ing DVDs, HD, SD when he bought a couple of years ago)..

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Meanwhile one of my friends who owns a Pioneer Elite owner swears the PE beats the Mits in every respect (he evidently spent a lot of time "A/B"ing DVDs, HD, SD when he bought a couple of years ago)..
A couple years ago, PE was better than everything in regards to SD. OOTB, it could also appear better than Mits with DVD and HD. However, tweaked a Mits could best PE with 480p DVD and 1080i HD.

The x13 sets eliminate the SD adtvantage PE had. DVD, and HD? A normal Mits can be tweaked better than a PE. However, 9" guns vs 7" is no comparison.

Just be patient and judge for yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.