AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to 4 months of trying to fix my DD-6000, I was placed high on the list for a DD-6020 when they come out. I just found out today that I should have mine the end of next week, actually before they are shipped to the stores. I'll be sure to pass on any info I can glean from it, but I'm not the uber-tech that is so prevalent here.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Anyone have any details on the 8020?

I still have my Sony interlaced player. I had decided on the Panny RP91, but decided to wait a week or two to see what the 8020 looks/sounds like.

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It just stopeed playing certain movies. I sent it back on July 7th with a copy of The Princess Bride that it had previously played, but then just blue screened with sound. Local reseller tried 4 times to fix, over the course of 3 months.

Also, there seems to be more of a differnce between the 6020 and 8020. If you read the specs, the 8020 is said to play HDCD, while the 6020 does not. Oddly enough, the 6000 had this capability.

I'm wondering if this is another Toshiba-based player. 3700?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by George33027
According to the Mits site, the only difference between the DD-6020 and the 8020 is that the 8020 has surround audio outputs.
From what I've gathered, here is the difference:

6020 - progressive scan, 2-channel DVD-Audio playback

8020 - progressive scan, HDCD, 6-channel DVD-Audio playback with 6-channel analog outputs.

Rather weird marketing concept in my opinion. Who wants a "limited-to-2-channel DVD-Audio player" when you can get the full 6-channels for comparable price? What is Mitsubishi thinking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It just stopeed playing certain movies. I sent it back on July 7th with a copy of The Princess Bride that it had previously played, but then just blue screened with sound. Local reseller tried 4 times to fix, over the course of 3 months.

Also, there seems to be more of a differnce between the 6020 and 8020. If you read the specs, the 8020 is said to play HDCD, while the 6020 does not. Oddly enough, the 6000 had this capability.

I'm wondering if this is another Toshiba-based player. 3700?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about the repeat message above. I think that the specs for this model show that it lacks the analog 5.1 outputs that the 8020 has. That is, it does not have an integral 5.1 decoder. It still has optical and coax outputs for an external decoder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I have my DD-8020. There is a lot of talk that says it is a rebadged Toshiba 5700. The best thing (IMHO) is the scaling feature tht allows me to letterbox movies and see the entire width. I have a Mitsu 46805, and previously this was not possible for me. As with the 5700, there is a toggle on the remote that allows you to switch between Prog and interlaced. However, the differnce is so huge that I have to believe that this is a particularly nasty interlaced player. Different sound options can also be toggled without having to go to the DVD menu. I have played MP3s on it without any problem, using only the optical out. All in all, I am very pleased with it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
sounds good.

I am pleased you like it, because I am going that way also.

You are the first to confirm that it works well.

Since it has surround sound outputs, can you input an audio and use the decoder to convert it to surround out ?

Are the MP3's DVD or CD or both?

And if CD, does it play back RW CD's that are made on a computer (MP3 also) ???

I always wondered if the Tos 5700 has more or less than the Mits 8020 ?

or is the default settings just set to Mits ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I played MP3s that I burned myself onto generic CompUSA 80 blanks. There are no inputs for using the surround processor. I believe that Mitsu is rebadging a Toshiba 5700. Haven't tried DVD audio yet.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Were the blanks RW ??

Have you found any difference between a Tos 5700 spec and your 8020 ?

I believe that Mits just makes the defaults programming to Mits., but I wonder if they include anything else, or subtract something from the 5700?

Now to find the best price for the 8020.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.