AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in purchasing a 3D TV and I'm leaning towards getting either a Mitsubishi DLP or a Panasonic Plasma.

One of my questions is, how big a difference is a 60Hz to 120Hz to 240Hz as far as 3D goes? Also, is burn-in still an issue with Plasma TV's? I was reading online about motion adaptive technology and how it prevents permanent burn-in from occurring.

Also, If I'm to purchase a Mitsubishi DLP model 73738, what will I need to have the best 3D experience (i.e. best glasses, kit/adapter, etc.)

I currently have DirecTV and a PS3 which are both 3D compatible.

Any help on this topic is greatly appreciated. Sorry if this topic has been discussed already. I'm just getting alot of mixed results from reading up on this.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmino02
I'm interested in purchasing a 3D TV and I'm leaning towards getting either a Mitsubishi DLP or a Panasonic Plasma.

One of my questions is, how big a difference is a 60Hz to 120Hz to 240Hz as far as 3D goes? Also, is burn-in still an issue with Plasma TV's? I was reading online about motion adaptive technology and how it prevents permanent burn-in from occurring.

Also, If I'm to purchase a Mitsubishi DLP model 73738, what will I need to have the best 3D experience (i.e. best glasses, kit/adapter, etc.)

I currently have DirecTV and a PS3 which are both 3D compatible.

Any help on this topic is greatly appreciated. Sorry if this topic has been discussed already. I'm just getting alot of mixed results from reading up on this.
I own a 73738 and can tell you that I don't have any of the crosstalk problems you read about with Plasmas and LEDs. They way I understand the Hz requirement (and somebody can correct me if I'm wrong), is that LED/Plasma pretty much need the highter Hz rate for 3D due to the fact that they are LED/Plasma. In other words, the ghosting and crosstalk problems you read about would be much worse on a LED/Plasma with 120Hz. DLP uses different hardware technology (high speed mirrors and such), and the 120Hz on my DLP seems to be doing its job because I have zero issues with ghosting/crosstalk. Again, I'm not a tech expert by any means. Just a lay person's attempt to explain what I think it all means.

The 738/838 series of Mitsu had a recent firmware update where it allows the TV to convert all the different 3D formats negating the requirement for a seperate adapter box (starter kit). All you would need to do is purchase DLP link glasses, pop in a 3D Blu-Ray and sit back and watch. For DLP link glasses, I would recommend Optoma. They happen to be the best performing and the cheapest DLP link glasses right now. If you prefer IR emitter glasses you will need to purchase an IR emitter. This plugs into the back of the TV and no adapter required.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks! I didn't realize there was a difference between the IR emitter and DLP Link glasses.

I actually went to HHGregg today to see there 3D TV's in person. HHGregg said online that the TV's weren't instock, but they had all the TV's there on display. Even the 82" Mitsu!

However, it was a little hard for me to determine which set had the best 3D, as they all were playing different demos and were scattered throughout the store.

The first set I looked at was the Panasonic because I can get a huge discount from the manufacturer through my employer. I thought the Panasonic had an excellent picture, but the 3D I thought looked best on the LG models. Of course, that could have just been the demo, because the demos on the Panasonic TV's sucked. Also, the glasses for the Panasonic were very uncomfortable.

The DLP at first I thought had a very crosstalky picture, but it was actually the demo of Step Up 3D I think, because the demos of other 3D movies looked better; of course, the other demos were of CG movies and not of live action movies.

All-in-all I'm still unsure which set to go with. The perks I found were that the Mitsu has the price/size ratio factor, the Panasonic has the great 2D picture, the LG had the best 3D (from what I could tell) and you get 4 sets of glasses, and the Samsung has the 2D to 3D conversion option.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
The 3D RP TVs only display 960x1080 resolution per eye wheras the full 1080p 3D LCD or 1080p Plasma models can display full 1920x1080 per eye in 3D. However their lower price and very fast display speed enable them to have excellent PQ. They both have excelent if not outstanding 2D PQ.

You can probably by two large RP DLPs for the price on one LCD or Plasma of equivalent size. So might buy one RP DLP TV now and replace in a couple of years with an LCD Plasma TV of the same size with the money you saved by waiting.

·
Registered
303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/19623066

So might buy one RP DLP TV now and replace in a couple of years with an LCD Plasma TV of the same size with the money you saved by waiting.

I agree, the DLP's are a great deal compared to other display technologies and you can't beat the size. Plus, each time you replace the bulb it's like having a new tv and they're relatively cheap now at $100.

I bought a 73837 myself a year ago and still loving it. I sit about 7 feet away and the 3D is great. The drop in 3D resolution is not really noticeable and at a greater viewing distance it probably wouldn't be noticeable at all.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
The big question is, when is Mits (or someone else) going to release a Full 1080p 3D DLP? Any word if TI has come up with a chip yet?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might end up waiting to purchase a 3D TV for the technology to get better and for more content to become available.

Hopefully the 2D to 3D to conversion technology will improve and the no glasses technology will begin to surface.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmino02 /forum/post/19623538

I might end up waiting to purchase a 3D TV for the technology to get better and for more content to become available.

Hopefully the 2D to 3D to conversion technology will improve and the no glasses technology will begin to surface.

Don't hold your breath on no glasses tech.

What TV model do you now own?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I currently have a Mitsu CRT rear projection HDTV. It's held up well over the years and I've had no problems with it, besides the fact that there's a line that goes across the screen (possibly from Letterbox movies) that's visible when the picture is a very light color. Also, the TV is not "Full HD" only 1080i. Not sure if there is really that big a difference between i and p, other than one is an analog signal and the other is a digital one.

I'd like to wait and upgrade when the 240Hz TV's come down in price and there's more 3D content available. Some other factors that are gonna determine whether I upgrade is how well movies like LOTR's and Star Wars are converted to 3D, and 3D gaming.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tefloncoated /forum/post/19627656

Has this been confirmed?

The poster owns the TV model, and it was confirmed over three weeks ago.

Refer to the Mits website http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/3Dupgrade.html
Quote:
Starting November 16, 2010, Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America, Inc. (MDEA) will make available a 3D software upgrade for existing customers of the following models:

WD-60738, WD-65738, WD-73738, WD-82738, WD-65838, WD-73838, WD-82838

·
Registered
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/19627701

The poster owns the TV model, and it was confirmed over three weeks ago.

Do you mean "you, the poster, have installed this update and verified that the adapter is no longer needed."?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmino02 /forum/post/19627832

So does this mean that the Mitsu is in Full HD 3D?

It is listed on their site as "3DTV", not as "3D Ready" like other models...

Got my update on the USB stick and adapter ready for ebay

·
Registered
5,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tefloncoated /forum/post/19627849

Do you mean "you, the poster, have installed this update and verified that the adapter is no longer needed."?... [snip]

I meant Jadocs, the poster that you replied to, who had told you the first time that it wasn't needed.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmino02 /forum/post/19628123

I wonder what a 240Hz DLP Full HD 3D TV would look like?

About the same. Black box with a HUGE screen.
Oh, and a 240Hz sticker in the corner.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tefloncoated /forum/post/19627849

Do you mean "you, the poster, have installed this update and verified that the adapter is no longer needed."?

It is listed on their site as "3DTV", not as "3D Ready" like other models...

Got my update on the USB stick and adapter ready for ebay

Current DLPs are not Full 3D 1080p capable, I don't believe "3DTV" actually means that anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor /forum/post/0

I agree, the DLP's are a great deal compared to other display technologies and you can't beat the size. Plus, each time you replace the bulb it's like having a new tv and they're relatively cheap now at $100.

I bought a 73837 myself a year ago and still loving it. I sit about 7 feet away and the 3D is great. The drop in 3D resolution is not really noticeable and at a greater viewing distance it probably wouldn't be noticeable at all.

At a greater viewing distance wouldn't the 3D effect diminish? I am really on the fence with an HDTV purchase, ugh. Have you watched 3D on plasma to really confirm that a resolution drop on the DLP isn't noticeable?

·
Registered
5,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOo_Krav_oOo /forum/post/19642590

At a greater viewing distance wouldn't the 3D effect diminish? I am really on the fence with an HDTV purchase, ugh. Have you watched 3D on plasma to really confirm that a resolution drop on the DLP isn't noticeable?

He's comparing 3D resolution to the 2D picture, which is full 1080P for each eye. Get thee to a store and compare for yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 /forum/post/19641411

Current DLPs are not Full 3D 1080p capable, I don't believe "3DTV" actually means that anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/19642767

He's comparing 3D resolution to the 2D picture, which is full 1080P for each eye. Get thee to a store and compare for yourself.

I'd love to see 3D on a DLP near me. Gainesville stores blow though. I'm confused on what both of you guys are saying. Please tell me the difference between what you are saying and what the Mistubishi press release says about their 738 and 838 models new 3D firmware update supporting all the 3D formats. http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/3Dupgrade.html . You will have to open the PDF.

Is Taz talking about wobulation?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The 738 and 838 series get the same firmware updates in order to use all 3D formats without the adapter. The only differences between the 738 and 838 are that the 838 has a built in surround system, and it gets a few settings like dark detailer and such. Yes, Taz is talking about wobulation, but as many people have stated in other threads that it actually pulls off 1920x1080 res though it may seem that it's supposed to be half. Idk the extreme details on how it does though lol.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.