AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am 10 minutes from ordering either the Mitsu HC4900 or the Epson Home Cinema 1080UB. I have been reading and it seems that these are the top 2 projectors under 3k. I have to flat out say this....

I watch movies that are HD DVD's/BlueRay and SD DVD. I am also an avid sports fan...NFL only, and well during the MLB playoffs. But I love to game as well. Be it from my XBox360 or my PC connected to the display.

Movies (HD DVD/BlueRay and digtal cable content,HD Discovery, HBO etc) Gaming (PC, Xbox360) and sports (Mostly NFL)

I really want to show my 3 newphews the 360 (Halo3) on a 120 inch screen though. That will make them smile.

So out of those 3 things....4900 or 1080 UB....and has anyone compared 2 two? Can we do it here?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,411 Posts

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Let's say hypothetically, the Epson 1080UB is only about $300 more than the Mitsu HC4900, should I get the 1080UB or the HC4900. I have heard of convergence issues with the Epson. This is going to be my first projector and I don't want regrets.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Epson's quality control is completely crap right now. However, if I was to get a 1080p projector, I'd make sure it's got good black levels and passes 1080p 24hz.

Also, consider the Sanyo Z2000 as it's going for slightly more than the 4900.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited /forum/post/13403863

Epson's quality control is completely crap right now. However, if I was to get a 1080p projector, I'd make sure it's got good black levels and passes 1080p 24hz.

Also, consider the Sanyo Z2000 as it's going for slightly more than the 4900.

My receiver does not even pass 1080p (it is a H/K 745). It passes only 1080i. I dont' know if 1080p24 is a must for me. However, I do like good black levels. I am going from a JVC HD-ILA 61" RPTV to a projector. My friend has a Optoma HD72 DLP and it was impressive. I haven't actually auditioned an LCD projector yet. I hope the black levels on the Epson 720, and Mitsu are not awful. I am leaning toward the Epson or Mitsu since they have good warranty service (from what I hear). That is why I took Optoma out of the picture.

May be I should give Optoma HD65 another look.

This is all confusing. I was a little bit apprehensive going back to a 720p image since my 61" HD-ILA is 1080p. Also, I have a PS3 and love Bluray.

I can get an Epson 1080 UB for a great price through a contact. But I don't want to get it if there are too many issues with quality control. Is this a fact or just a bunch of dissatisfied customers in AVS Forum.

·
Registered
281 Posts
While I have an HC4900 and love it, everything I have read suggests the 1080UB is the better projector. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I would say if you can get the 1080UB for only a little more and from a reputable place with the manufacturer's warranty, go for it. However, if you can't get it from a reputable place w/ warranty, I would pick up the HC4900 and save the money. Also, the 1080UB's main advantage (black level), becomes negligible unless the projectors are in a dedicated theater.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Epson 1080 UB would be clear winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarablue /forum/post/12936396

So I am 10 minutes from ordering either the Mitsu HC4900 or the Epson Home Cinema 1080UB. I have been reading and it seems that these are the top 2 projectors under 3k. I have to flat out say this....

I watch movies that are HD DVD's/BlueRay and SD DVD. I am also an avid sports fan...NFL only, and well during the MLB playoffs. But I love to game as well. Be it from my XBox360 or my PC connected to the display.

Movies (HD DVD/BlueRay and digtal cable content,HD Discovery, HBO etc) Gaming (PC, Xbox360) and sports (Mostly NFL)

I really want to show my 3 newphews the 360 (Halo3) on a 120 inch screen though. That will make them smile.

So out of those 3 things....4900 or 1080 UB....and has anyone compared 2 two? Can we do it here?

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts