AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not seen the Pioneer. I did see it's little brother (55" I think) at Walmart and it didn't look so good. The conditions were bad though and who know how they hooked it up. The 64" Pioneer is a long drive away to a Costco that has it in stock. I stopped by Tweeter and saw the Mitsu 65" 413 and was impressed! The Mitsu is more money. I'll be viewing SD until I get a HD DirecTivo. Any thoughts on which one would be a better set?

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've considered both, carefully, including a bunch of viewing (although only in showrooms). If it helps, I prefer the Mits myself, although that may be sacrilege to some....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, did you see much of a pic difference? (Like I said I've only seen the 55" Pioneer in Walmart and the pic looked like they hooked it up with composite cables). I'd appreciate any further info on what differences you saw on different source material. The Mitsu is $500 more but I don't know how much I could talk them down. The Pioneer comes from Costco which means I don't have to buy an extended warranty. All together the Pioneer is gonna be hundreds less.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, the trouble with showroom viewing is that with any decent TV manufacturer displaying sets in a store, you're not getting 1) in many cases, a viewing environment like your home; 2) more importantly, a picture anywhere as good as you can get if you get the set calibrated by someone who knows what he or she is doing. Some TVs are just ok out of the box. Some are horrible. And almost all of them come with their settings torched, to catch the eye. You can help this problem a little by getting into the user menus, but there is still a LOT you can't do that a calibrationist can.

So, differences in quality seen in stores are very, very difficult to transfer to what your experience would be in your home.

Nonetheless, I thought the Mits was a little better in HD than the Pioneer--smoother and truer colors, even after user menu adjustments. Both were bad on SD, but what would you expect?. I thought the Mits had slightly better shadow detail on 480p.

If you don't mind, could you pm me with the price you're getting quoted on the Pioneer? Is it the 730HDI? If so, Costco must be blowing those out seriously to come in $500 under the Mits 413. If it's not, you might be comparing an '03 Pioneer with an '04 Mits (which is fine, you just need to be aware of it).

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just looked at Pioneer's web page and the 730 HDI is in the Elite series. The SD-643HD5 at Costco is not an Elite model. People here say it's good though. Have you seen it? Does anyone have any thoughts on how the SD-643HD5 would compare to a Mit WS65413?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.