AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a power outage, my WS-55859 won't come on. The green light blinks continuously. After doing some research, I found out that the Caps on the DM module may be bad, so I replaced all 7 Caps. Same results. What else could it be? thanks much
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,996 Posts
Another possibility is a bad switch on the front button panel. There may be a way to disconnect it and use remote to turn on. Pull power, disconnect button panel, plug in power, wait 90 seconds, use remote to power on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I own a 65Mitsu and I have a similar problem, my TV won't turn on using the power button on the TV or the remote from time to time. I have discovered that the Volume Down button on the TV will turn it on off. When the TV gets in this mode I have no control over anything, it just stays on the last input it was on. I know this sounds crazy but that's how watch TV, I end up changing channels using my Directv receiver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcorral /forum/post/15510748


...my TV won't turn on using the power button on the TV or the remote from time to time. I have discovered that the Volume Down button on the TV will turn it on off. When the TV gets in this mode I have no control over anything...

Tv has bad front panel button switch(s).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Lee /forum/post/15496060


After a power outage, my WS-55859 won't come on. The green light blinks continuously. After doing some research, I found out that the Caps on the DM module may be bad, so I replaced all 7 Caps. Same results. What else could it be? thanks much

This happened to me and my 55859 on Christmas Eve. I too replaced the caps in the DM module, it would come on for 2 min and shut off. Had aguy look at it and now back to the light continuously blinking.

Had it 6yrs, am now moving on. This issue seems to be across all series from crt to dlp which is odd.


Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,996 Posts
The 859 model has a different DM board than all the other Mits models wiht DM's. Most DM's are a single board mounted vertically on the signal board and has 4 capacitors that go out. But the 859 has two part DM that sits horizontal in the chasis, it has a separate little DM power board with 7 capacitors that usually don't have the same failure as the other DM. When the 859 DM goes out it's usually something else and you must replace the DM. Right now they are no longer available from Mits, so you have to find an outfit to rebuild it, like pts electronics. The early Mits DLP's also have the single board DM with the 4 caps that go bad. The design was changed in late model DLP/LCD rptv.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
I'm sorry that I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but I didn't want to start another thread if one already exists.



Anyway, I bought a Mitsubishi WS-55859 for my mother a few months ago (at a very good price, too). Just this past week, the tv just don't turn on, but the front LED flashes at quick intervals, which lasts about 40 seconds until it just flickers and dies.


I've searched all over the internet and it seems that the most popular consensus says that it could be some blown capacitors on the DM.


I'm handy with the soldering iron, but I want to make sure if there is anything else that I may be overlooking before I start with this project?


Also, another question:


I noticed (while the set was working), that the picture of the tv wasn't as bright as my present tv (which is a Mitsubishi WS-55511). Since my mom's set is an older model, I'm assuming that the CRTs are a bit more worn than on my set. Is it possible to use a picture tube rejuvenator on these CRTs?




Danny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,996 Posts
Yes for blinking light symptom you should try replacing capacitors on DM first. Dim picture could simply be dirty optics. Clean the lenses while you have the back off. Was the Tv in a smoking home? If yes, pull screen assembly and clean mirror also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn /forum/post/16998622


Yes for blinking light symptom you should try replacing capacitors on DM first.

Ok. I'm going to order the parts.

Quote:
Dim picture could simply be dirty optics. Clean the lenses while you have the back off. Was the Tv in a smoking home? If yes, pull screen assembly and clean mirror also.


That's the first thing I did after I bought this set to my mom's place. It did brighten a bit, but still not as bright as my own set.


Also, something I noticed on both sets is, the red and green CRTs seems to always seems to be nice and sharp, but for the blue CRT, I can't ever get it set as sharp as the other two. Is it an inherent thing for these type of sets?




Danny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Perales /forum/post/17001249


...the red and green CRTs seems to always seems to be nice and sharp, but for the blue CRT, I can't ever get it set as sharp as the other two. Is it an inherent thing for these type of sets?

Sometimes blue is purposely de-focused because the human eye can't see/decode blue as well as the other colors. Note that focus is done electronically on the focus block and mechanically by physical adjustment of the lens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Hi!


I thought I give an update of my project:


Well, I replaced the capacitors from the DM module. Now I'm getting a steady fast flashing LED (but it doesn't flicker and die like the last time).


I took the module out, put in another set of capacitors (I had a few extras), and even checked the circuit and solder point for continuity. Everything checks out, but I'm still getting the steady flashing (which it means that the DM module isn't booting up, according to the diagnostic from the service manual).


I'm stuck.



Now I'm thinking that I have to replace the entire module.



I wonder if I can even find one, and at what cost?



This set has a fantastic picture and it's a shame if I have to put it out to pasture, if it comes to that.




Danny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
mine has the same problem....I took the DM board out and took it to a repair shop and they checked the capacitors said they were fine...put the board back in and the TV has been sitting around collecting dust. I bought a 42" mitz LCD panel in its place but I still want to get this TV going again even though it is a beast of a TV it has a really nice picture.....we watched a movie on DVD the other night and I was really missing the 55 in. I think I'm gonna have to break down and call a service guy out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermaxd /forum/post/17147487


mine has the same problem....I took the DM board out and took it to a repair shop and they checked the capacitors said they were fine...put the board back in and the TV has been sitting around collecting dust. I bought a 42" mitz LCD panel in its place but I still want to get this TV going again even though it is a beast of a TV it has a really nice picture.....we watched a movie on DVD the other night and I was really missing the 55 in. I think I'm gonna have to break down and call a service guy out

I actually emailed one of two places that a tech recommended me to contact about rebuilding the DM module. The place was Tri-State Module and PTS Corp.


I emailed Tri-State, but I didn't get a reply as of yet. I will email PTS by Monday evening, if I don't get a reply by TSM by then.




Danny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
My WS-55859 has had the blinking light twice already and now it just happened for a third time. Each time it happened it was after a power outage. The previous two times I paid over $500 to have it repaired. Both times it was the convergence IC chip that failed after the power outage, so I'm guessing I have the same problem now since the DM board checks out fine.


I'm not spending another $500+ to have this repaired. I'm going to try changing the IC chip myself.


I just ordered two (you only need one) Sanyo Convergence IC chips (part# STK393-110) from electronic-repair-kits.com



Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermaxd /forum/post/17147487


mine has the same problem....I took the DM board out and took it to a repair shop and they checked the capacitors said they were fine...put the board back in and the TV has been sitting around collecting dust. I bought a 42" mitz LCD panel in its place but I still want to get this TV going again even though it is a beast of a TV it has a really nice picture.....we watched a movie on DVD the other night and I was really missing the 55 in. I think I'm gonna have to break down and call a service guy out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Perales /forum/post/17163259


I actually emailed one of two places that a tech recommended me to contact about rebuilding the DM module. The place was Tri-State Module and PTS Corp.


I emailed Tri-State, but I didn't get a reply as of yet. I will email PTS by Monday evening, if I don't get a reply by TSM by then.




Danny

I thought I'll do an update by quoting myself



Anyway, I'm getting a lot of pressure from both my mom and sister to use the money that I was going to use to get the DM module for the set, and put it toward getting a new tv set.


I'm beginning to think they're right.


But as stubborn as I am, I still don't want to give up on this set just yet.


So, I removed the DM module and took it home with me, and started to look it over and making sure that I soldered everything right, before I call PTS and see if I can have them rebuilt the module (TSM never emailed me back).


Still, feeling on how much this is going to cost me, I decided to take a gamble and test the module myself, by using my own tv set (my set is a WS-55511 that uses the same module) to test it with.


I took my set apart this morning and removed it's DM module, and placed the module from my mom's set in it's place (I had to open up both module so I can exchange the wire bundle that makes up the "PF" connection, since the one on my mom's module was slightly too short). I made sure that all the connections are well seated in it's place.


Once I confirmed that everything is right, I plugged in the set. Heard the power going through it, and I saw the familiar flashing green light, but this time, it only lasted for a little more than a minute (unlike my mom's set that just keeps flashing). The moment of truth: I pushed the power button and....

The set turned on!


I had the set going for at least a half an hour until I turned it off. At least now I can say the the DM module does indeed work and I don't need to replace it.


I'm going to go back to my mom's place later today and put the module back in her set and I'm going to make sure that every connection is seated correctly.


If my mom's set still doesn't turn on, I don't know what else I should do. Take the DM module (sell it, or keep it as a spare for my own set) and trash the rest of the set?





Danny
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top