AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New member here...so this maybe a Dumb question but here goes.

My 16yr old Mitsu 35" color takes sometime to show up and I am wondering if I should look into having it fixed or replace it once it goes.....I have gotten my moneys worth out of it but parting with it wont be easy. This was a 1200.00 unit

when I purchased it and it has served me well.

Thanks for your reply.

V

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I'd say replace it.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
I say repair it. Buying a new 36" TV is still not cheap. It sounds like to me that a capacitor is failing in the main board, and the capacitor replacement is only like one dollar. New TVs don't last as long as the older ones. You can still get many more years out from it left. :)

Walter Chan

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
I say repair it. Buying a new 36" TV is still not cheap. It sounds like to me that a capacitor is failing in the main board, and the capacitor replacement is only like one dollar. New TVs don't last as long as the older ones. You will never find any new TV that will last just as long as your old 35" Mitsubishi. There are a lot Made in Japan parts inside your Mitsubishi TV. You can still get many more years lots out from it left. :)

Walter Chan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting....I would think your are right but it still depends on what the repair involves i guess. Do you think they still make parts for this model? and if so I expect they would not be OEM.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vjunker
interesting....I would think your are right but it still depends on what the repair involves i guess. Do you think they still make parts for this model? and if so I expect they would not be OEM.
The way how parts availability work is that Mitsubishi produced all the replacement parts they can in 1989, and then stopped making them in just a few more years. There should still be some or many parts availabe left (I don't know). If there is no color in the first part and then it comes later (probably need heat in order to run), it may be coming from the power supply (capacitors dried up or worn out). Your local TV repairman will be able to diagnose this problem with no problem at all. Each TV repair costs somewhere between $50 and $150, depending on what kind of problem it is. New 36" TV is about $450 (cheaply made and will not last long), so repair may not be a bad investment. After repair, you will get a 90 day warranty after repair.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much. this is exactly the information that I needed !

Now I just need to find a good repair person in the Mass. area..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.